Help, Can I link a wireless router to a non-wireless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I currently have 2 desktop computers hooked up to a wired Linksys router which is connected to a cable modem.

I recently purchased a laptop on ebay, so that I can bring it outside with me. I also purchased a Linksys wireless router for this purpose.

I don't want to disturb my current wired setup. By this I mean I don't want to go through the trouble of switching them to wireless just so I can use my laptop outside.

Can I hook the wireless router to the wired one to get an internet connection? Or is there some other way I can use the wireless seperately with the cable modem?

Hello and Welcome to Techspot

I wouldn't piggyback the wireless off the wired just use the wireless router. Your wireless router should also support wired, set up your 2 wired pcs and also you will be able to go wireless with the laptop

Hi, Thanks for responding!

So do you mean that I could use the wireless router with my wired desktops without have to install wireless network cards in them?

without have to install wireless network cards in them
clearly not.

wire the hardware:
Code:
modem---wired.router --- wired.systems
            +
            + ---- wireless.router
the wireless is connected to a port on the wired router just the same as any other wired system.
the end connecting to the wireless itself DOES NOT attach to the WAN, but rather
a LAN port.

On any wired system, run->cmd /k ipconfig
Notice your IP address and the Gateway address.
The gateway will be something like xxx.yyy.zzz.1
and your IP will be similar except the last digit

On the wireless, you need to:
  1. disable DHCP
  2. fix the wireless router address to be static ~~>xxx.yyy.zzz.200
  3. set a new SSID
  4. select a channel 1->11
  5. set a new password
  6. save and restart the device

To do all this, disconnect the wired router temporarily and use one system, the wireless connected to the modem and access the wireless configuration page using your browser. Once it is done, put the wired router between it and the modem again.

No thats not possible but you can use the router as wired and wireless, depending on the router. I have a LInksys GRT54G Wireless Router, I have 4 pcs wired and 3 wireless.

The Geekgirl said:
No thats not possible but you can use the router as wired and wireless, depending on the router. I have a LInksys GRT54G Wireless Router, I have 4 pcs wired and 3 wireless.
don't understand -- the setup suggested turns the Wireless router into an Access Point.
I've done it and so has Nodsu -- what is the problem?

cleo1668 said:
Hi,

I currently have 2 desktop computers hooked up to a wired Linksys router which is connected to a cable modem.

I recently purchased a laptop on ebay, so that I can bring it outside with me. I also purchased a Linksys wireless router for this purpose.

I don't want to disturb my current wired setup. By this I mean I don't want to go through the trouble of switching them to wireless just so I can use my laptop outside.

Can I hook the wireless router to the wired one to get an internet connection? Or is there some other way I can use the wireless seperately with the cable modem?

Make sure the wireless router has a feature called wireless access point. That's how I run my network here with a wired router, 8-port switch and wireless router/with access point feature. You turn off the DHCP/NAT on a wireless router then it becomes a wireless access point. But the hardware should have a feature to do that. I would connect this wireless router/access point directly to your laptop you got off ebay and then configure it with a static ip from your own network wired router.. say: 192.168.0.100 this would be the wireless access point.

Do not I repeat do not use the wireless access point as a switch which isn't a good idea.. So make sure before you buy any wireless router that it has a wireless access point feature.

Wow yall are off on some kind of fantasy trip. This poor man or woman here needs a simple answer! From what I gather 1. You have a wired router with 2 wired pc's hooked up already. 2. You ordered a laptop with wireless connectivity and a wireless router from the net. 3. All you need to do is switch out the wired router to the wireless one as there will be ports on it for wired and turn on the wireless in the routers config. Also remember to secure the wireless.

NameBrandHuman said:
Wow yall are off on some kind of fantasy trip. This poor man or woman here needs a simple answer! From what I gather 1. You have a wired router with 2 wired pc's hooked up already. 2. You ordered a laptop with wireless connectivity and a wireless router from the net. 3. All you need to do is switch out the wired router to the wireless one as there will be ports on it for wired and turn on the wireless in the routers config. Also remember to secure the wireless.

The OP didn't want to touch his current wired router to leave it alone. I agree as most us here in our Network Department. Better to have wired router then a switch then router used a wireless access point. If the user had started off with a wireless router then that's a different story. It's up to the OP (original poster) to decide what scope of the project he wants to solved.

Not some kind of fantasy trip, you don't have to have a network running off 100% on wireless router using wired ports. There are other ways to do this... As you know already..

Yes I forgot this person may not be fluent in router/networking lingo. But for people with some knowledge of routers/networking, the actual switching would take no longer than 5-10 minutes. That would include secureing the network. Heck, I can hard reset my wireless router and reset all my settings in 3 minutes tops.

Could be, not for us to judge... You never who is out there today...

Cable Modem ----Wired Router ------ 8-port switch -----Wireless Access Point1

--------------wireless bridge for wireless drop connection ------

-----Sub 10-port switch------- sub 8-port switch ---- Wireless Access Point 2

There are times where just having wireless router just can't handle your needs. You need to use a wired router and then use wireless routers as access points.

I didn't know it was as simple as just swapping one router for another!

I thought I'd have to install wireless network cards into the desktop computers in order for them to work with the wireless router. Duh!!

It's just like me to make things more complicated than they are, LOL

Anyway, I received the laptop and router and everything is up and running! I had a problem in the beginning getting the laptop to connect to the internet. But I eventually figured out that I needed to enter a a WEP code (I think it was called) in order to access the router.

So everything's great! Thanks again for all of your help!

GOOD JOB!

Now go back and replace WEP (because it's not effective) with a WPA or WPA2
code.

I agree with jobeard but emphasize the WPA2 security. Do not use WEP for security. If you do any banking etc... you will not be secure to hackers... and yes there are hackers out there that want to get to your personal info. WPA2 security is easy to set up. also use a password that has capitals, lowercase and numbers in it. (atleast 6 characters, but more is better)
eg. ExamplE4u2sEE
This would be secure and easy to remember. Only the 'E's are capitalized, but has numbers in it too. Some routers will allow special characters too eg. "@#$%"
This is important and easy to do.

SUB

WPA Radius option requires special software -- you need the Pre-Shared option.

Pre-Shared means you will need to copy the key to some portable media (eg usb thumbdrive)
and take it to the other system(s). You can also just write it down and manually enter it :)

Hello,

I'm new to networking and to the forum, but I am trying to attempt a similar setup, with a twist. I have a functioning wired network. I want to add a wireless access point, but at a distance from the modem and wired router (across the house, so wireless signal will reach a desired point).

So I connected a wireless router, via cable run under the house. All computers have internet access, including wireless. However, LAN does not recognize the wireless devices.

Sounds like this is not the optimal approach, but is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back