The PlayStation Vita ships worldwide, reviewed

By on February 22, 2012, 1:28 AM

If you're in a hurry, you simply need to know that the PlayStation Vita is a very good portable video game machine that excels in ways that Sony hasn't bothered to hype.

The PlayStation Vita is Sony's second portable gaming system and easily its better one. It arrives here in North America as well as Europe and Australia on something of a timer, as the rise of gaming on iOS and Android devices threatens the relevance of dedicated handhelds much the way Sony itself threatened the dominance of Nintendo's near-monopoly on dedicated handhelds more than half a decade ago.

If the Vita is going to be an argument for the worth of dedicated handhelds, then it is a nearly perfect argument. This new machine is an extraordinarily capable device—for gaming. It already rivals its handheld peers and even home consoles in terms of quality gaming experience. It sparkles not just because of its hardware but because of its services, which even on Launch Day Minus 1, are already some of the best-engineered in the medium's history.

Read the complete review.

Good for Sony, looks good!

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

That's all well and good, but it CAN'T run Crysis. At least, not to the standard it was hyped up to. I remember being told of the epic hardware it'll run on, which will give better graphics than PS3.

And tbh, with the screen pixels and 5hr battery life, and the hardware in it.. I'm sadly surprised.

RzmmDX said:

I am just going to wait for more games to come out.

And it's sad that I usually play my psp or nds when I am on a flight.

IPad gaming be damned.

Omnislip said:

spydercanopus said:

Hehehe I like this.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

IPad gaming be damned.

Meanwhile, in the Android camp..

I pull out my Xoom which can easily run up to PS/N64 games, wireless PS3 controller (or wiimote), and start rocking.

taimuraly taimuraly said:

My bro preodered it and got it yesterday and as been on it ever since. The controls are top notch and he really enjoys playing football on it. He has an ipad and iphone so only time will tell if this new found love will last.

I personally think that it has a lot of positives going for it compared to the tablets and phones. Hardware buttons, Dual analog sticks, nice Oled screen and a decent battery life make it a good choice for gamers. Hopefully developers will back up the device with new good titles.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

As I've said in a past post, If Sony can get some really great titles on the PS Vita then, and only then, will i consider purchasing this machine, At the moment, all the reviews for the games are not really very good.

Lower the price to £180 and give me some good games, I will there more than likely

Zilliak said:

spydercanopus said:

...If you look at the specifications for this device, it blows an iphone5 (which currently isnt even available due to lack of innovation and laziness on apples part) out of the water and any other phone including tablets. i think its a great job what sony has done with the vita except it would of been awesome to connect to your tv.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Considering getting one of these just not right away, going to wait for more games and maybe price drop, which would probably be in time for next Christmas season. And for the idea of connecting this thing to a TV, that wouldn't be all that difficult, just might require a WIDI equipped TV or maybe stream through a PS3. That would make it that much more interesting.

tehbanz tehbanz said:

If monster hunter, metal gear, and possibly some good RPGS get released, i will order one in a heartbeat. More in particular, monster hunter. I WILL SELL MY SOUL FOR A NEW MONSTER HUNTER!

Sony you burned me on the PSP so it's not gonna happen again. I will stick with my Smart phone for mobile gaming..Thanks.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If they had gone with a standard memory format, and a replaceable battery option, I probably would have jumped on the Vita right away... Those advantages would have helped negate the lack of backwards compatibility with my UMD collection of games, and the fact that Sony killed the upgrade program that Japan got, and the absence of external video connection options... Lack of compatibility with my current PSP games was close to a deal breaker, but the ridiculously expensive memory cards needed to store any games I want to play pushed me right off the fence. I'll wait till prices drop, or improvements are made that tip my "worth the money" scales back to positive.

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

Wow, an actual enjoyable review to read (about anything.)

Even though Sony had me already at "Two analogue sticks"

The 'Near' command sounds like they have Big Brother tracking turned on at all times. And they are more than willing to share.

I want one but where is the future proofing?

Without 4G LTE... damn!

I got one an its great! Just loving this beast...

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Wouldn't mind playing gba and ps1 games on this

"Home button + analog stick + a touch sensitive back (which Sony doesn't have a patent for) added to iPhone 5 and Vita is dead. "

another 15 year old iPhone boy.