Six Things Microsoft Got Right in Windows 8.1 and Others Still Missing

By on October 15, 2013, 4:25 AM

Microsoft found itself in a bind after the launch of Windows 7. Struggling for relevance in the mobile sector, the company attempted to fill the void in its portfolio by adding a touch-friendly UI layer over the Windows desktop. However, Metro came with a myriad of issues and complaints, mostly because of poor choices in usability design -- part of what we've been hoping Microsoft will fix in Windows 8.1. And it has, somewhat.

Despite that and the fact that a single-year turnaround for any kind of Windows iteration is quick for the folks at Redmond, we're not sure if it's enough to please detractors. Before installing the free upgrade next Thursday, let's review what's been improved and what's still missing.

Read the complete article.

1 person liked this | TheBigFatClown said:

"A welcomed improvement would have been to detect if you are running a desktop, laptop or tablet and show contextually relevant menus. Seriously Microsoft, how hard can it be? For example: show advanced networking options on a PC including control panel integration, show brightness settings on a tablet/laptop, disable the "share" option when you are not in a Metro app, and so on."

This is the entire problem with Windows 8. Treating all devices the same. When they figure out that this is a nice little theory on paper but doesn't work in the real world...that's when I'll think about purchasing a new version of Windows. So far, my abstinence from Windows 8 has not been in regret. Since there is no pressing reason for me to upgrade to anything later than Windows 7 Ultimate at the moment, I will continue letting those of you who continue to foam at the mouth over anything that claims it is 'new and improved' to be guinea pigs for testing Microsofts latest Frankenstein creation, while I patiently await a positive end result, however long it takes.

The real trouble with 8.1 (at least the preview) is that it does not address the problems created when MS took away the ability to change desktop font sizes in points and font colors, and made it impossible to tailor the desktop visual elements independently of each other - change the active title bar color and, like it or not, you also change the task bar color. I use perfectly standard color combinations in XP and 7 - no hacks required - but cannot duplicate them in 8 or 8.1 preview, and it is precisely these things that make a desktop layout good or bad for an individual user. This one-size-fits-all may work well in a tablet environment, but not for people trying to get real work done on Windows desktop. Painful, unnecessarily, and stupid.

PC EliTiST PC EliTiST said:

This about the font rendering on Metro UI, Metro Apps, Metro & Desktop IE is the worst problem of all, but mysteriously no tech site ever mention it... PC monitors do not have High DPI/PPI monitors where this hideous font rendering works kinda better. And for those in denial, no you can' do anything by tweaking cleartype, disable Hardware Acceleration on IE for instance etc.

Internet Explorer 11 is simply unusable. If there was any chance to use it due to it's best smooth scrolling, hardware acceleration and generally efficient rendering that is miles better than Chrome and Firefox combined, now gone.

For this and other reasons you mentioned, Windows 7 it is for me, likewise. Don't forget that Win7 already got the most important updates of Win 8 already... Like, Platform Update, ability to delete redundant update files etc. In a while it will slowly get even more.

TheBigFatClown said: "When they figure out that this is a nice little theory on paper but doesn't work in the real world...that's when I'll think about purchasing a new version of Windows. So far, my abstinence from Windows 8 has not been in regret."

I agree completely that it was, and continues to be, a mistake to think that all devices - from a phone to a tablet to a desktop and and/or should operate similarly. Form factors each come with their own strengths and weaknesses, and a one-method-fits-all approach is, by necessity, fundamentally compromised. Like you say, great idea on paper, but in practice, it just doesn't work.

That being said, I took advantage of the $40 intro pricing when 8 was released, and I've come to very much like Windows 8. Even disabling all things Metro, there's some nice features over 7 - amazingly fast boot times, far better task manager, various small enhancements, the clean visual look and file history (although I still use the previous file recovery service for scheduled backups, and I'm none too happy that it's apparently been forcibly removed from 8.1). I don't consider myself a guinnea pig, nor Windows 8 necessarily a Frankenstein. But I'll admit my satisfaction is, to a large degree, predicated on the $40 intro price. I upgraded two systems, and consider it money well spent, but the current price of ~$120 prevents me from upgrading any others. I'd spend that much for a new license (for a new system), but there's just not enough value in 8 (over 7) to spend that much on an upgrade.

I thought I was going to get Windows 8 soon, as the update 8.1 may have fixed many things... now... I don't think so

1 person liked this | ypsylon said:

Wow, only 6 things they got right. Considering what kind of massive ****-up W8(.1) is, not much to shout about. In one word: pathetic.

It really speaks volumes - what people think about W8 when you see that 40% Windows PCs still running XP which is by far the best OS MS ever released.

It seems 7 still rules the desktop and 8.1 fixes 8 for tablets and smartphones. Maybe 9 will be for desktops and 10 will be for mobiles ?

1 person liked this | richalone442 said:

It's still ugly, and I won't have ugly on my desktop, the article states that the flowery default desktop screen is gone for the pretty metro UI, how wrong can you be. Windows 8 will never be in my house.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Windows 8/8.1 buzzing but everyone rather use Windows 7. Windows 7 with Allmyapps program can pretty much fetch apps and update them. Of course it doesn't have the fancy tiles or touch screen features. I see no reason to use Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 right now when Windows 7 updates and very thing work just find on it. I wrote a small program called JASPER to make Windows 7 have the same New TCP Protocols features found in Windows 8/8.1.

Speed wise it fast over LAN (network) and WAN (internet). Still Microsoft limits the TCP.SYS to 10 MSC (max session connections) Again free online app that can backup that TCP.SYS and change the setting from 11 to 249 MSC. Although with each update for Windows 7 this has to be change again an again since Microsoft keeps changing TCP.SYS back to 10 MSC.

Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 all suffer from corrupt data junk files, registry clutter, fragmented HDD, thus this needs to be tidy up a bit each day of usage. Free programs like: Wise 365, Slim Cleaner, Free Windows Tuner, UnCleaner an Ultradefrag can keep the system running smoothly.

Added protection Spyware Blaster for Browsers, MSE along with Malwarebytes and Windows Firewall Control App (Free).

You can't really blame Microsoft for the YouTube mess, we all know that's Google deliberately being a massive ****. As for the UI (which I'd definitely v1, and it takes then a few iterations to get right), I think Microsoft has completely bought into this whole "post-PC era" bit and so were seeing the consequences of that. The touch UI is not bad IMO and probably the best on offer from any mainstream desktop OS. Only thing is, considering how long it takes for users to upgrade (see how many will continue using XP even after April 2014!), does it make sense for them to rush headlong into killing the desktop and assuming everyone will have the requisite mobile/touch hardware to be happy about it? I think they'd be better off releasing at least a couple more versions of Windows (especially if it's going to be at the rate of one a year) with the Metro UI being completely optional. By Windows 10 (or 9.5 or whatever zany scheme they come up with) they can start demoting the desktop *provided* the Metro app ecosystem has somewhat caught up. Otherwise their effort to force people to give up what they're familiar with (I.e. the desktop) is most certainly premature and doomed to failure.

1 person liked this | Seventh Reign Seventh Reign said:

Windows 8 is freaking AWESOME! I've never used an operating system this great before. I triple boot with 8, Vista and ME .. Sometimes I have a tough time deciding which is my favorite, because they're all sooo good.

Stupid mobile autocorrect!

"which *is* definitely v1, and it always takes *them* a few iterations to get right"

misor misor said:

lol. I initially thought you were triple booting windows 8, windows 8, and windows 8 since you like windows 8 so much. (I'm a fan of windows 8, too!)

Mikymjr Mikymjr said:

Win8 on manufacturer pc's and laptops, seems to block out some if not all ways to access certain settings to fix a laptop the easy way. Some laptops(win8) I have fixed, have the option with their own software to restore files or repair the operating system. But others just seem to be hard to get into the bios just like on their manufacturer pc counterparts. Some you can't even get into the bios to check if certain systems hardware are working properly. For some people who aren't really technicians but knew what to do in win7, it's hard to get into the bios in win8 as when for instance you restart these systems, the OS never really goes offline completely. That's why win8 starts up fast. You have to turn the system OFF first and then start it up again and try and get into the bios (differs with manufacturer systems running win8; with some you can, others you can't). This is why manufacturer pc's are being left aside and most people or system enthusiast or people who like to customize their settings, would rather buy pc parts and make there own pc's to learn from their experience and enjoy their settings and preference. With win 8 you are limited to what microsoft or the manufacturer wants you to be able to do with the system

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

I know that sarcasm is hard to convey on the interwebs, but take another look at the versions of Windows that he listed.

"The Start screen is still a pain to configure using a mouse"

Guess what? I'm still using a mouse 99% of the time. I will be avoiding Windows 8 until they address this. It is really a non-starter for me. If I'm not touching my screen I do not want, can't use and shouldn't be forced to learn a touch focused UI.

"...it's not intuitive to bounce in and out of Metro when doing actual work."

This is why it is a terrible OS. There should be no bouncing between two different OS. I might not mind Metro at all if it was the actual OS and not some layered thing to be bounced into and out of as I try to work. Why is there a Metro app and a desktop app? There should be no difference if it is a Windows app.

"Bottom line, I still think Windows 8/8.1 improves on Windows 7"

Why? I've been trying to figure out how some authors continue to say this when I've seen nothing that proves it. Every time I "touch" Windows 8, I run smack into the problems with it. When I use Windows 7 I never run smack into anything. It works without issue.

I installed Start 8, removed all Metro Apps and hot corners and it acts as Windows 7.

MrBungle said:

Windows 8 was like a new car with no doors... Windows 8.1 is like a new car with only the right rear passenger door... a little better but sorry still sticking with the newest OS actually designed for a computer, Windows 7.

Jim$ter said:

Just remember this little rhyme and you will be happy.

Windows8 is GREAT if you install START 8

Nicely presented review, but isn't it all just smoke and mirrors -- especially for old school desktop users. Had MS just marketed Win8 for its speed enhancements, the OS would have been golden.

As it is, Start Is Back does everything MS failed to do, so 8.1 is really no improvement at all.

Windows 7 > Windows 8.1 > Windows 8

When Windows 8 was $40 dollars and Windows 7 $200 it was a no brainer. For all those people stuck on Vista and earlier and listened to the complainers it does suck to be you.

Windows 8 brought more speed. The rest they can keep.

mctommy said:

Win 8 brought stability to my lenovo laptop. I seemed to have BSOD with Win 7 on my lenovo U460 (2011) but after installing Win 8, the laptop runs fine. My desktop on the other hand will never see Win 8 installed.

I'll stick with windows 8.0, too much forced crap in windows 8.1 like Bing, SkyDrive etc. Shame I bought Windows 8.0 as support will end before windows 7........ LOL Ain't they just shite?

TheBigFatClown said:

Microsoft needs to cater to more than just one type of user. The simpleton who wants to use their desktop for nothing more than entertainment. The average user who wants to do a few extra things other than consuming content. And the power user who wants to use their desktop for everything. Entertainment, work, backups, photo editing, customizing everything to their liking. And being able to choose their interface with the desktop as keyboard+mouse-touch, keyboard+mouse+touch, and for the simpleton - the touch only interface.

There is still hope for Windows 9 to be loved by all if Microsoft can get one thing through the head. You can't treat every user(especially of a desktop operating system) as being all clones.

Come on, create 3 different UI themes for 3 different sets of people. You got the resources. If somebody doesn't want to be in control of tweaks and optimizations and background images, that's fine. Let them boot up in "Beginner" mode or "I just wanna have fun" mode(LOL).

Stop releasing updates with the philosophy of "one size fits all". So they put a "boot to desktop" option in Windows 8.1. Seriously? And you think that's going to get all the enterprise/business customers you "lost" to upgrade to Windows 8.1? LOL. Ain't gonna happen.

I want 32-bit color back, I want Aero theme back, I want keyboard+mouse to trump touch in the UI design. Honestly, I see touch in the workplace having very limited practical use. It would be great for an atm machine or selecting videos on a RedBox machine. But how much work can you get done swiping your screen all day in but the simplest of scenarios? Oh yeah, McDonalds can put this on Windows 8 registers to ring up your french fries and Big Mac also. But that's about where it ends.

Get back to being real Microsoft. Stop being ******. Please don't release Windows 9 until you come back to your senses about your flawed design philosophies. Once size does not fit all, not even close.

Hell, even if enterprise+hardcore users are only 5% of the Windows revenue pie you would still make a fortune in sales. Put 10 programmers on implementing my ideas. You will make your money back in spades.

Thank you Julie Larson for making all my choices for me in Windows 8 but I can do that on my own, thanks, but no thanks. Let me make the choices I wanna make again.

JC713 JC713 said:

Eh. I may upgrade **cough**downgrade**cough**, to Windows 8 just for Battlefield 4 if the issues with Windows 7 arent fixed by release.

All they need to remove are the jigsawed p[arts of Metro and run search directly into the File Explorer.

"The Start screen is still a pain to configure using a mouse"

It is easy to manipulate the start screen if you know how to right click.

I can take as many apps as I like and place them on a different place or pin/unpin/delete/resize them at once it is not really that hard to do, can be improved but it is not really a "pain" to do so in w8.1 also dragging one icon to a different place is easy with the mouse.

"The "All programs" screen"

It is messy but is gives a fast overview of everything on your pc personally I like it better then the start menu of w7 that was for me not nice and was messy to ( my opinion)

and it gets less messy when you sort them by frequently used (and for the desktop apps lovers, desktop apps first)

"Default file associations to Metro apps"

Personally I like using them (not all of them, some are bad) I always use the xbox music app and video app, it is easy to change your default apps, just go to settings (modern ui) it is easy to change all of them. That bouncing in an out, you get used to but I can get that some do not like it.

The best solution for this would be an option to always show the taskbar, will also fix the start menu problem I think.

"All those Metro apps that don't have a reason to exist"

When I look for apps in pay store or the app store it is also teaming with apps that have no value.

I like using w8.1 allot I do not use w7 any longer. for me the faster booting alone is a reason to use w8.1 naturally improvement have to be made but for me w8.1>w8>w7>xp

what I also like as an improvement in w8.1 is shutting don is also located on the start button when right clicking.

Tip: for returning back to desktop very quick use winkey+d

I still think MSFT could easily fix a lot of the problems with 6 simple changes not mentioned in this article:

1) allow an option to run metro apps in resizable desktop windows. this will end the complains and make the windows store a force to be reckoned with for all those apps will suddenly be useful for desktop/enterprise users.

2) allow folders or pages similar to windows phone pivots instead of the continues horizontal scroll of the start menu and all programs list. this will instantly organize things.

3) make a metro taskbar for running programs or simply never hide away the windows taskbar. Metro apps should show up in the windows taskbar.

4) make the right click app menus pinnable and on by default on all apps. if you right click a metro app, it suddenly becomes familiar and starts to make sense as you see...buttons and commands...what a concept! This should be the default as full screen apps with hidden command UIs are not usable in their current state.

5) kill the charms and hot corners and the settings panel for apps. it sucks. just let app makers create their own settings page. charms are a waste of time.

6) please, just once and for all, allow widgets. windows vista had them. bring them back to the start screen where they can finally do some good. Android proved they are a good thing to have.

In general I understand the sentiment behind the article. But in my opinion Microsoft should have made each UI element adaptable to the input type (mouse/touch) instead of disabling more 'metro' functions. Eventually the whole modern UI should become not only usable but also enjoyable for non-touch. Disabling it will only result in splitting the UI into two pieces and further increase the duality and confusion that people experience when using Windows 8.

However I don't get the final point. What is the issue with seeing a lot of unofficial youtube apps? The same goes for Android and iOS, as a consumer I WANT to see this. Of course the official app and the most popular apps should be put in front but I do like CHOICE. Show me all the results and allow me to order by popularity and relevance and I'm happy. I want apps like Metrotube to be shown when I search for a youtube app. So far Metrotube has been much better then any official youtube app!

'The "All programs" screen'

If you click the headers, use semantic zoom (there's a little [-] minus sign in the bottom right corner of that screen by the scroll bar) or even the little CTRL + scroll motion with the mouse wheel, the "mess" of the Programs list will condense itself to categories or the headers of however you filtered the App List to effectively and easily jump to the section r set of programs you need to...it cleans it up and isn't as bad as you make it out to be. It really shouldn't be that hard. You can even just type and get them that way...everything vanishes except what you might be looking for. =\

This article is really sad. Lot's of the negative points are pure opinion.

The amount of YouTube apps, really??? Every appstore Apple's/Google's have loads of useless apps, the Windows Store is no different.

File associations? Really, They try to promote their new Modern environment so it only makes sense that they link to the new apps. You can still easily change them.

It's really sad to see that so many so called professionals still struggle with change.

Isn't that why we all were interested in IT in the first place.

And for the Average user, Win 8 is a delight, everything is just simpler.

Stop! You're killing me! :D :D :D :D :D

Most regrettably, those "still missing" fixes are the crucial or critical ones that need fixing. Most of those fixed were the easy ones--just window dressing (putting lipstick on a pig?). Until the critical ones get fixed the vast majority of serious users who rely on keyboards and mice for data entry and the OS's UI, will remain with Windows-7. The longer MS "screws around" with not fixing the problems, the more users will seek alternatives. The basic mistake MS made was pandering to tablet users with Windows-8, and neglecting everyone else.

So far it seems like this is one of the few sites with 99.99% of negative comments...

does users of this site just like to rant about windows 8 or microsoft as a whole? dislike modern (metro) UI? what about iOS 7's new UI that highly ressemble the look and idea of modern (metro), and although rumored of updated UI of android kitkat to get the same flat UI as modern?

microsoft forcing people to give up desktop UI? is desktop missing from windows 8.1 now? I am still seeing it...

full screen view of applications is too cluttered and messy? so now you mean you like previously start menu that popup out on bottom left of screen and only open folder that you want to get into? well people like it and hate latter and vice versa.

you get no upgrade from windows 7 on windows 8 other than the modern (metro) UI being "forced" on you? what about faster boot up, hibernate and shutdown, lower memory footprint, still maintain same or similar requirement as windows 7? if you like windows 7, stay with it... if you updated to windows 8, it seems that you want to try something new, learn and live with it...

personally I am confused on first entering windows 8 after install, I took about maybe an hour to learn the new ways to do things and love it till now... been a microsoft user since windows 3.1 (windows 3.1, 95, 98, 98SE, ME, XP, Vista, 7 and 8 now, for mobiles: windows mobile 5, 6, 6.1, windows phone 7 and 8 now)...

my first install of windows 8 was via dreamspark RTM released before broad availability... and also spent money to upgrade my desktop just after broad availability...

ya you may class me as microsoft fanboy, but so far I only see people rant about microsoft when something changed. did people do so for apple? in PC context, I can only relate this negativity towards microsoft due to alot more windows users == more comments, different ideas...

dont because of your hate (for whatever reason) for microsoft and make others hate it... it will makes you same as microsoft if you think they force people to use windows 8 and you force others to hate it

TheBigFatClown said:

You love Windows 8 because you probably use it to do simple things. The 99.99% negative comments ought to give you a hint that not everybody on planet earth is a clone of 'you'.

Were not making anybody 'hate' Windows 8. Every person who buys it has different needs/wants. But it would be wrong for those of us who do hate Windows 8 UI and general design philosophy to not let it be known. There are millions of people who do not think Windows 8 is a serious operating system anymore. Microsoft abandoned millions of users to become another Apple clone.

Microsoft can't force me to use Windows 8 as I am not using it now and I have no immediate plans to do so. Let people make their own decisions.

drjekel_mrhyde drjekel_mrhyde said:

The one and only thing I want is, 8.1 would let me lock/pin my start menu to my second monitor without it closing when I hit anything on the main monitor

Windows 8.1: Polishing a turd.

At least Microsoft wrote the book on it.

abysal abysal said:

It's the simple things that Windows 8 / 8.1 messes up.

Try copying and pasting a username and then a password from text file for a new VPN connection into the credentials section on the networks side bar. Let me know how it goes. What was wrong with a dedicated window for VPN connections?

Windows 8.1 make searching a little better by not covering the entire screen and presenting side bar. What was wrong with the Start menu which offered that functionality already?

I think this generation is lost to the phone / tablet ****** who think multitasking is done one screen at a time.

I updated to windows 8, installed start8 and modernmix and am living with it. I have no problem with windows 8 and like it. I do have an issue with windows 8.1 though, I don't want SkyDrive and Bing, but you are forced to install it regardless. So now it seems that the operating system I left behind is supported longer than the one I bought last year........... LOL

And I don't really care whether people complained about Apple or not as I am not using their products.

Puiu Puiu said:

Is it THAT hard to give desktop users the option to "window" apps and metro? it's stupid.

I've been a Windows 8 user from early on, and there are a few features which make it stand out from even Windows 7:

1) Vastly improved Task Manager

2) Native ISO mounting ability

3) Native support for RAW image files - I'm a photographer and these makes my life much, much easier when it comes to easily sorting through thousands of photos from a shoot!

The additional speed, both on boot and general snappiness was more than enough to convince me to switch. I just can't fathom why the personalisation options on the Start Screen were so limiting from the beginning. With super ugly backgrounds and colour schemes, I can't imagine why this wasn't an option from the start!

Capaill said:

"Having used Windows 8.1 preview/final for months, I think it's a must-have for those already running Windows 8. At the very least, it polishes some of the roughest edges with Metro's integration and it won't cost you a cent."

I'm using Classic Shell and it didn't cost me a cent either! I'm not going back to that mess that is called the Metro UI.

When designing Windows 8 for the PC, I imagine the conversation in MS went something like this:

The best folder layout is a tree hierarchy where the user can open the folders that they want and drill down to the files they need?

NO! The best folder layout is one where everything is on the same screen and a user gets to fumble uselessly around the screen looking for the one thing they need.

The best input tool is a mouse for accurate clicking of a single pixel on high-res screens, fast movement on large monitors and customisable pointers indicating different statuses?

NO! The best input tool is my fat finger for clumsily clicking on 7000 pixels at a time and blocking what's on the screen with my finger/hand. And giving me arm strain.

The best screen layout is using the benefits of a mouse for right-clicking to raise context sensitive menus or using multiple screens?

NO! The best screen layout is to hide everything in the side or corners so when the user tries to click on them they end up in the next screen instead. And then making the corners too bloody small to easily activate.

The best way to perform multi-tasking is to allow multiple apps to be open at once, arranged in easily movable tiles or windows, thus allowing greater productivity?

NO! The best way to perform multi-tasking is to open every app FULL SCREEN and make it as difficult as possible to do 2 or more things at once.

What else?

I don't know why you can't see anyone complaining about Apple's "upgrade" to iOS 7; there are plenty of sites, discussion groups, etc. complaining about it. I was (until iOS 7) a huge fan of the iPhone, and I absolutely can't stand it, and I've been complaining about it since I put it on my phone.

At any rate, this is not a Microsoft vs. Apple article and it doesn't need to be. It's about how Windows 8.1 is different than 8, and everyone is entitled to an opinion... even if the opinion sucks is different than yours.

The bottom line is that Microsoft has made huge changes to the Windows OS (underneath and UI) that a lot of people don't like, find burdensome, or can't take advantage of. Other than my phone, I don't own a touchscreen computer; nor do I want one.

Re: resistance to change: here's a revelation: that is part of human nature, not just the folks on this site. Apple and Microsoft trained us to use a mouse umpteen years ago. Back then it was revolutionary; now it is essential (if you don't have a touchscreen). A different look and feel is one thing; to try to change the way people use computers is completely different. A rough analogy would be to introduce a car with no steering wheel. "Use this joystick; it's actually easier to use," the salesmen would say. Imagine the pileups on the streets as people would be forced to learn how to drive all over again. And imagine the rest of the population saying, "Uh, no thanks; I'll stick with my current car. At least I can drive it with no major problems."

<rant>Metro: fine for mobile devices. Anything else: not such a good idea. Microsoft could have released two OS's (and had two separate revenue streams): Win 8 for mobile and Win 8 for desktops. Why they didn't is beyond me, but I hope this fiasco is why Steve Ballmer decided to retire.</rant>

TheBigFatClown said:

1) Vastly improved Task Manager

2) Native ISO mounting ability

This post is hilarious. Let me pick myself up off the ground from LMFAO. How many hours a day do you spend staring at your task manager? How many hours a day do you spend mounting .ISOs? How long does it take to install one of the multiple free .ISO software managers? Do you think that additional boot speed and snappiness was just icing on your little cake? It comes at a cost. Look at the UI your using. 4-bit color flat ugly @$$ UI that you are basically stuck with 24 hours a day 7 ******* days a week. Why were the color schemes so limited from the beginning? Because Julie Larson didn't want you have to make any tough decisions.

Yes, I think the Windows 8 crowd has finally convinced me of what an ***** I am being. A vastly improved task manager that I'll get to stare at for all of 5 minutes a day. Yes, I think I will go out and purchase my copy of Windows 8. What an ***** I have been. I cannot WAIT to launch that cool new task manager and just stare at it. Oh God, this may become my new addiction. I may end up in the 'task manager' for more hours than I ever spent playing Warcraft III. God help me.

drjekel_mrhyde drjekel_mrhyde said:

"The Start screen is still a pain to configure using a mouse"

I had a hard time reading the rest with a straight face after that. I understand site like this live off page clicks, but you can get page clicks for getting out NEW news before other

1 person liked this | Guest said:

"A lot of people don't try operating systems because they get a wild hare up their butt and 'want to try something new'. A lot of people buy operating systems to get things done, serious work. Photo Editing, Data Entry, 3D-Modeling, Website Development. Try doing those things with just a touch-ui."

THANK YOU!

When something works, quite well, you DON'T CHANGE IT you improve on what's already there.

"dislike modern (metro) UI? what about iOS 7's new UI that highly ressemble the look and idea of modern (metro), and although rumored of updated UI of android kitkat to get the same flat UI as modern?"

Guess what? I dont like metro, dont like the UI for ANY iOS, and can only stand using android's UI because it is on my PHONE and NOT MY PC. Those UIs do work nicely for tablets and phones. Not for entire monitors. As a matter of fact, if im using an actual PC, I dont want anything to do with UI's that work in those characteristics. I want to use my goddamn MOUSE rather than moving my arms and hands around all over a a monitor's screen ESPECIALLY when I'm trying to multitask or get work done fast. It doesn't help when apps/programs have roughly the same sized buttons to press for configuration/minimizing and such as they did in windows 7 and before. (obviously the buttons for opening apps are pretty big... but again thats for opening them.)

I think M$ would have had a lot less negative feedback if they just took "windows" out of "Windows 8". They simply used the name but changed the navigation methods alone TOO much.

"what about faster boot up, hibernate and shutdown, lower memory footprint, still maintain same or similar requirement as windows 7

Faster boot up is nice, however, I could care less for the rest of those. Win7 is no monstrosity like vista and it works just fine anyways. Unless you have an incredibly low resourced PC, the only dramatic difference is the faster boot time. I could care less how fast it hibernates or shuts down as ill be walking away anyways :P

"personally I am confused on first entering windows 8 after install, I took about maybe an hour to learn the new ways to do things and love it till now"

In the real world, people have a harder time learning something they did not want to learn in the first place. Im glad it only took you an hour. I Just want to get shit done.

"but so far I only see people rant about microsoft when something changed. did people do so for apple?"

That does not mean people stopped hating certain changes. As for apple, what changes? :)

"it will makes you same as microsoft if you think they force people to use windows 8 and you force others to hate it"

Im not forcing a thing. You can stop reading this right here right now. I've simply stated MY opinions. Al though the following is by no means accurate all the time, people tend to have some idea of things they might not like before they try them. Poeple do know some things they dont like.

People are different. M$ just tried to make everything the same. OOPS

1 person liked this | Guest said:

There seems to be an almost pernicious stubbornness from Microsoft that is manifested in 8.1. First, there is no going back: you can't use System Restore to go back to 8. Next, to access the store, you need a MS account. To use other Apps, you need to logon, then go to your email to verify to MS that you are who you say you are. And by logging on, you are consenting to give MS total access to your computer.

Microsoft say it's for security, but I say they want, literally, to own your soul. Like Apple, they want you to be a slave to their ecosystem.

MS, Apple, Google, et al are now laying the foundations for the Brave New World of computing. People get ready, the change is coming.

gingerbill said:

Still don't see why anyone would want to use a tablet OS on a desktop , I'll stick with a desktop OS.