Editorial: Why Windows 8 Start Menu's Absence is Irrelevant

By on July 18, 2012, 2:41 AM

Although every product deserves healthy criticism, many opinions of Windows 8 seem to be based on misconceptions, especially when it comes to the viability of Metro as a Start menu replacement. For the record, I don't care if you skip the update -- hell, I might pass on it too -- nor do I care if it's the most failtastic operating system in Windows' 26-year history. While certain anonymous posters might try to convince you otherwise, I have nothing to gain or lose from the launch of Windows 8.

However, I believe your opinion should be formed by facts, not irrational rhetoric parroted online by so-called power users and companies that want to sell you third-party programs. I can say without a doubt that many people who oppose the Start menu's removal haven't even used Windows 8, yet they don't hesitate to inform you about Metro's inadequacies by listing all the features it's supposedly missing. The truth is, functionally speaking, Metro is basically identical to the Start menu.

Read the complete article.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

I tried it. It slowed me down. No thanks. I'll wait for 9.

2 people like this | fimbles fimbles said:

Metro complicates the uncomplicated.

That extra step of switching between metro and desktop is just enough to become annoying, Plus I find it much easier to navigate a alphabetical list of programs than a muticolored grid of tiles.

"Plus I find it much easier to navigate a alphabetical list of programs than a multicolored grid of tiles."

The multicolored grid of tiles is better because you get to organize it however you like it. Organize tiles into groups, and name each group. The new start screen is way more customizable than the old start menu.

2 people like this | Guest said:

The Metro search might be useful for finding apps, but the Windows 7 search does a little more than that.

Try searching for a Control Panel item. You have to take the extra step in Windows 8 to either click/tap down to Settings, because the default is Apps.

Try searching for that PDF you downloaded last week. You have to take the extra step in Windows 8 to click down to Files in order to find it in your search.

I don't know about you, but my commonly used apps I tend to just have pinned on the Desktop or the Start Screen. Anything else I can search for. However, this is not nearly the same case for system settings or files, where my search needs are broader and more varied. Meaning I actually NEED the search for what it is, given what a mess the Control Panel has become since Vista, or the number of files I have to work with.

One of my biggest disappointments with the new search is that, unlike in Windows 7, I can't do much with my search results aside from just running or opening them. In Windows 7, I could right-click and choose to delete, open with a different program, send to an external drive, send to Imgur, or find the folder location (useful if you organize projects by folder and want to see all the different related files in that folder).

In Windows 8, I simply can't do that anymore unless I specifically go out of my way to search from an Explorer window, which also means I have to keep changing my context for my searches.

So no, the Start Menu's absence is NOT irrelevant.

Tamantafamiglia Tamantafamiglia said:

I agree completely with the autor. I'm using Windows 8 now for 3 weeks as main OS, I can say now that if you custom your own thumbapp on it the start screen is at least as efficient as the old start menu (as the article show it) and do more on many side with the metro tiles stuff (No need to get metro or calendar gadget on desktop...).

So for tablet, Metro is really awesome (I'm using Windows Phone for 2 year - and before IPhone for 3 year, I know what I'm saying about touch UI - Wich is also my job).

Sure there is a lot of thing to improve on Windows 8 but the "changes" debate is irrelevant. It s not about it, it's more about other things. For exemple, I think there is some real mistake : If the Start screen is the main interface for tablet, one essential (I think) features missing on it is simply time. I have to get Charms to get it while it could be simpler to get a tiny time clock somewhere on screen (Instead of the big "start" word ? Above or belowe ?).

So, What about the Taskbar ? Today, I'm looking at it with the fresh new Office 2013 icons, and I'm telling me : The taskbar should be designed as "a part of metro start screen". It should say goodbye to the old Desktop style and embrace completely new interface era paradigms. it's almost that : simply a bar, but it's again too much Windows 95/xp/vista/7 style task bar, it could be more Windows 8 Metro taskbar.

So there is a lot of thing to improve on Windos 8. For many, it's minor things. But the work done on it is a really good work from the UX and GUI design point of view, it a real step forward about Information design interface and not only an old revamping à la Apple with kawaï icons and effects embended in cool marketed names.

It's not perfect but Microsoft is really remaking itself, and it's good thing for us.

1 person liked this | fimbles fimbles said:

Quote "You do realize that the alphabetical list of programs still exists in Windows 8, right? It's in the All Apps menu... just like it was located in the All Programs menu before."

And how exactly do I get to this all apps menu? It takes me 2 clicks and about 1 second at the moment.

There is no winning: if MS releases an OS without huge changes and mostly under-the-hood improvements, people will cry that it is just a service pack for Version N-1. If MS releases an OS with huge changes that are obvious in daily use, people will cry that MS shouldn't go fix things that aren't broken.

Graphically describing these people is one of the few applications that I've found for Venn diagrams.

TekGun TekGun said:

@Guest #3 read the article it's talking about you.

I have used Windows 8.. I simply love it on my Tablet, and hate it on my laptop.. the Start Menu being a big part of that.. I find the start screen far more inefficient on a system with a mouse.. So much wasted space, and time, even moreso if you knew how to organize your Start Menu, and didn't just toss everything in there without thinking.

What MS should have done, was leave the option.. I mean they kept a Classic [ 9x/NT4 ] theme in Windows for how long ? Yet they take the start screen and kill the start menu without even a single transition OS.

I'm a fan of Metro, it's a great feature that should be an Option.. But not forced. Which is better depends on what you do, and how you do it.. for some people and situations, Metro and the Start Screen really do suite them and their needs far better than the classic start menu.. but there are just as many people and cases where this is simply not the case.

1 person liked this | BMfan BMfan said:

Agree with Guest above, MS shouldn't force this on people.

I'm not a fan of Metro but if I could switch between the two UI I might eventually stick with it.

@TekGun

I read the article. I'm running Windows 8 right now, and have been running it for a while. Office 2013 was downloaded yesterday. I hate the lack of contrast in the UI (blinding white). I still have a handy backup to get back to Windows 7, though.

Apps are always easy to find. I could put them on the Desktop, pin them to the Taskbar, or pin them to the Start Screen. I can also search for them. (Though the Search oddly can't find Team Fortress 2.)

Files and Settings are a different matter. It takes an extra step to search for them, and not all the time do you now exactly what you're looking for, which is why enterprise search products exist so that employees can find what they need in their vast information stores.

"In fact, one could argue that Metro improves multitasking and reduces interruptions. Live tiles show dynamically updated data, with early examples including weather, finance, and calendar apps."

I've used gadgets for that, and if you consider checking the weather as an example of "multitasking," you seriously don't know how to multitask. Juggle a report in Word in one window, a PDF with reference information in another, an Excel spreadsheet comparing related item specs in another, and an IE window for searching for additional pullsheets in another. The funny thing about the Start Screen or Metro apps, though, is that it's hard to find THE TIME without diving back to the Desktop, hoping the app has a built-in clock, or heading to the Lock Screen.

Live tiles are little blurby reports. They can be useful and can help you decide whether to take further action or not, but they don't help in multitasking.

The other bad thing about the Start Screen and multitasking is that Metro Apps and Desktop Apps do not mix. On the Desktop, I know exactly what's open and can quickly mouse over for an Aero Preview or Aero Peek. However, if I'm using a Metro App as well (like Mail, IE10, or Remote Desktop), I can't easily switch unless I just blindly keep clicking the upper-left corner, Win-Tab, or Alt-Tab to the right program. We've effectively got two different Taskbars going around. I have enough of that between my own computer and an RD session, thank you very much.

...the fact that Metro is fullscreen should also help, not hinder multitasking because it ought to be quicker and easier to find whatever you're looking for. The Start menu shows 10 applications by default with support for up to 30 and if your desired program isn't offered immediately, you have to dig deeper into the All Programs list.

While the Metro interface is nice and big for people to clearly see what they want faster, if I need to launch an App but my search term is so nebulous that more than 10 possible programs show up, I clearly need to spend the extra 200 milliseconds to add another character to my search term. Or I just plainly don't know what program I even want.

For the record, two things that impressed me about Windows 8 is its battery usage and its startup and shutdown speeds, particularly for sleep and hibernation modes. But they're putting a lot of uncompromising UI and behavioral changes in place, creating a bifurcated OS that seems to regard Windows 7 with shame rather than the success that it was.

I absolutely love it. For those used to use the mouse for everything, perhaps it's not handy at first, but for those who are not afraid to use the keyboard, Windows 8 is the answer. In the end, it's just a matter of learning how to operate it properly and one would never go back to any other windows (and it may as well attract even some Mac fans).

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

One extra click needed...one more second taken. FAIL!

Anyone would think the people here are living their life as Ethan Hunt

/First world problems

//Happy to put up with an extra click for a less resource intensive OS.

I liked this article and I have to say that after trying out the RP for a second time, I've really gotten used to the new Start Screen. I can quickly get to the programs I don't have pinned by typing, and the new Window + F key works great for searching for files. I've always run programs like Disk Cleanup, Calculator, Notepad, Regedit straight from typing into the Start menu search and hitting enter. I can do the exact same thing with Windows 8's Start screen, so I'm happy. The only thing I miss still is the cascading Control panel, but you can do the most common things in control panel also from Window + W for settings. Window + Q for apps (Window Q also shows all the apps on the left hand side of the screen).

I do think it should be an option, and something else designed for non-touch devices. But, it's not as absolutely horrible as I originally felt. At least not to me.

Most of the criticism about Windows 8 is emotional crap by people who hate change, or are too impatient to give it a good try. When I first tried using Windows 8, it was set up as dual boot with Win 7. Win 8 was a bit disorienting because there was no help built in and I would quickly switch back to Win 7 when I got frustrated. Now that I have installed Win 8 as my only OS, I was forced to endure the frustration for a few days; now, I find that I really like it.

I agree with the author that Metro serves the same purpose as the Start button, only better. Win 8 is rock solid. I spend 99% of the time on the desktop just as if it was Win 7. Now that I have got over that initial disorientation, I feel like there is no really difference except it is a better Win 7. I like Win 8.

1 person liked this | fimbles fimbles said:

Average users make about 427.2 clicks per day according to Prof. Fenian at Cornell University.

426/ 60 = 7.11 minutes lost per day.

7.11 x 365 days = 2595 minutes per year or 43 hours.

Thats 2 days a year clicking a button I never had to click before.

1 person liked this | Macgyver56 said:

What I find interesting about Microsoft's approach with the Metro UI is that they readily admit that it was designed with touch screens in mind, not a keyboard/mouse entry system. They're after the tablet and touchscreen consumers.

My computer is a work tool. It is not a media toy or play thing. I WORK on it. Microsoft did not design the Metro UI for me or anyone like me. They have as much as admitted that.

It would have been nice if they made Metro a choice. Yes, users can work around it. People are coming up with fixes and patches that allow them to get around it. I think it would have been nice if Microsoft had done that on their own, instead of committing Windows 8 to a one-size-fits-all, "if those oddly shaped pegs don't like it, then just smash them into the square holes" approach.

2 people like this | rpsgc rpsgc said:

1 person liked this | Guest said:

I think the author misses the point about how this will truly affect the AVERAGE END USER. You know, the person who barely knows how to power the machine on and has finally become comfortable with the start menu interface, especially the older generations.

I know, for instance, I will never put this on my father's computer. He's far from tech savvy and his desk at his house is LITTERED with notes on how to do things with that start menu system, because he just can't remember.

I will also say, he's had a PC for more than 5 years!

I could just imagine the complications it would cause introducing him to Windows 8.

Same goes for my father's neighbor, my grandparents, my mother, uncles, and several other people that I know.

So no, it is not easier for everyone, or even "just as easy as before". I personally would have no problem adjusting. I choose not to because I think the interface is ugly and I know Microsoft's reputation with "every other OS release" so I'm going to sit this one out and see how it goes first (I have tried it though).

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Here's the thing:

1) Windows 7 is a desktop workhorse that succeeded. Millions and millions of users are on that platform. The desktop platform is not where the current high growth rate is taking place but it's huge install base is a force to be reckoned with (and tapped).

2) Windows 8 is a tablet / mobile OS that can be used on a desktop with a marked change in appearance and user interface from previous OS's. Tablets / mobile device are the high growth segment in the PC environment today.

3) Both have their place.

4) One size does not fit all - never has, never will. The more you appeal to one, the less you appeal to the other.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

426/ 60 = 7.11 minutes lost per day.

7.11 x 365 days = 2595 minutes per year or 43 hours.

Thats 2 days a year clicking a button I never had to click before.

Eh, what? I don't follow. People probably click the start button a couple of times a day at most.

Everyone talk about the missing start button, but for me the most anoying "new feature" is that all new metro apps are fullscreen. You can't find a better way to utilise a 30 inch monitor with a 2560x1400 resolution than to display a calculator. What is anoying ? well I can't display all the windows I want on the screen at the same time.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I will also say, he's had a PC for more than 5 years!

I could imagine it too. It would probably simplify things for him. Suddenly all his apps are on one screen, not on the desktop hidden by windows or lost somewhere in the start menu. And metro apps will probably also help.

Really, if he still has to look at notes then I'm sure the change won't hurt him much. Only problem is that he'll have to write new notes, and you'll have to tell him how to do things, which will force you to learn Windows 8. I can see what that would be a hassle for you. My father is still stuck on XP, and I see no reason to move him from there.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Can't wait for the next article of the series:

"Why Windows 8 is irrelevant"

(y)

1 person liked this | Renrew Renrew said:

fugettaboutit- I'm waiting for Vista 3

But you saved more time than that by not having to click where once you used to have to.

Written by an obvious Microsoft Employee.

I've been Testing Win 8 for about a year now and I can say without a doubt that the Metro Interface is a terrible idea. It takes twice as long to get anything done as it does for Win 7, and dont even think about trying to Multitask.

DanUK DanUK said:

One extra click needed...one more second taken. FAIL!

Anyone would think the people here are living their life as Ethan Hunt

/First world problems

//Happy to put up with an extra click for a less resource intensive OS.

Massive +1 to this and the article. People are wayyyy over reacting.

Seventh Reign Seventh Reign said:

426/ 60 = 7.11 minutes lost per day.

7.11 x 365 days = 2595 minutes per year or 43 hours.

Thats 2 days a year clicking a button I never had to click before.

I dont know where you got that BS information, but no one clicks their start button 400+ times per day.

mailpup mailpup said:

Seventh Reign, fimbles may not be making his point very clearly but I don't see where he is saying these clicks are all on the Start button, just clicks in general.

1 person liked this | Uvindu said:

That is BAD MATHS!

426/ 60 = 7.11 minutes lost per day.

7.11 x 365 days = 2595 minutes per year or 43 hours.

Thats 2 days a year clicking a button I never had to click before.

427 clicks a day (I don't know how/why you rounded it down to 426)

427 clicks for every 24 hours

427/24 hours= 17.79 clicks per hour

17.79/60 minutes= 0.2965 clicks a minute

1 min ==> 0.2965 clicks

3.37237 min ==> 1 click

Assuming that each click (or one extra click) takes 3.372 minutes per day:

3.37237 minutes a day x 365 days = 1230.91505 minutes a year = 20.5 hours a year more than you would without the extra click

or a bit less than half of your estimate.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Clearly assuming that each click takes 3.372 minutes is pretty inaccurate. It probably makes sense if you take it as a whole day, but if you take it on a per minute basis then it doesn't really make sense. Also, you will be making that extra click more than once a day so the average may be a bit less than it's supposed to (if you were to use proper data instead of using 3.37 minutes a click).

Anyway, I personally am not bothered by that extra click (but I am bothered by wrong maths!) and I personally think that Techspot users waste more time reading guest comments than they would if they were to make one extra click! Also having an extra click does not necessarily mean that it's going to waste your time more. Imagine I had one folder containing hundreds of articles based on different topics. Now imagine I put the articles into folders named after the topic each article is based on. Without arranging them, the number of clicks would be smaller, but the time consumed would be much larger, when I'm searching for a certain file. If they are organized into folders then the time taken would be less, despite requiring an extra click...

Anyway, Thanks Techspot for writing this article. I've been hoping that some non-Windows8-Hater would eventually write an article about the misconceptions people have surrounding Windows 8.

Kneep said:

People! Just modify Windows 8. I've bypassed Metro, Installed Classic Shell ( "light" 3rd Party Start Button/Menu ) and BAM, Windows 8 is just like the others, I like 8 modified like this as I find 8 to be faster than 7.

"You know what's irrelevant? This 'article' (if you can call this an article, more like propaganda)"

My thoughts exactly.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Funny reading this article, all the hate, the love, the unknown. The best part is its all based on personal opinions, you can't argue with someones opinion, if that's the way they want to look at it then so be it. I personally am going to avoid windows 8 until someone comes out with a tool that brings the start menu back, I can't stand the big goofy metro BS. Knowing it was designed for a touch interface just makes it that much harder to swallow, I don't actually know the percentage of desktop users with a touchscreen but its sure to be low, less then 10% easily. Fine tablets are going somewhere, but I'm not going there, I'm keeping my desktops and I'm keeping my start menu the way it is. If it means not downgrading to windows 8, all the better. And the resource argument is becoming more and more irrelevant as computers become faster and faster, I've tried windows 8 and I don't like it. People aren't over reacting, Microsoft just screwed up by not giving people the option to keep things the way they were.

Demigod001 said:

Ive had two problems with win 8 consumer preview and non with the start menu. Both problems are with gae, all my other applications work. Crysis 2 doesn't work in dx11 and surprise surprise Game For Windows Live doesn't work in windows 8 which makes game that use it for save games and dlc unplayable.

While the metro interface is different and none of the apps are that great I have no problems with the lack start menu on my desktop. I picked up the new flow in under an hour and everything is easy to find.

Most people don't like change and yes many of them may have overreacted to the changes made with Windows 8, though that doesn't make they wrong. Computers should be tools for the user and the user should be able to customize layouts that will make them most productive. Microsoft seems to be following Apple in this case by forcing a tablet GUI on all users. Metro just like the Ribbon interface is a change that some users will love, some will hate but most will complain about until they figure it out and it becomes the new norm. That doesn't make the interfaces better, it just means people need to learn and adapt to the computer rather than the other way around. It's like moving the steering wheel of your car to the other side, does it make things better or worse or just different? Again, as humans we can adapt and overcome but is this the best way to go or maybe allowing choice of a GUI would be best. In this specific case, if only Microsoft built a bridge to a destination then maybe people would follow rather than waking up and finding the steering wheel has been moved.

fimbles fimbles said:

@ uvindu

To be honest I just copy and pasted that from the internets...dont have the time nor inclination to work the numbers myself.

Concise version : windows 8 = more clicks = more time taken= less productivity.

1 person liked this | RubinOnRye RubinOnRye said:

I still like it... I use a windows phone and like the Metro look. I think people are making a bigger deal out of this then it really is. What makes metro any different then any other mobile/computing OS? Wasn't apple one time thinking about putting iOS interface on their Mac OS? I bet if they did it first, or even second, people would go up in arms for it. Honestly, until you have truly used it and give it an honest test that doesn't involve outside opinion, then you really need to just SHUT UP. Currently, I am on day 56 with Windows 8 and I still love it and can't wait till NFC integration between my phone and computer.

grumpyitbloke grumpyitbloke said:

I really like it too. I think it really comes to life on a touchscreen device, but I've also found it easy enough to use on non-touch devices too. Like anything else that changes, people will get used to it - and what's particularly clever about what Microsoft have done here is that everyone is talking about it. There's no such thing as bad publicity.

I also like what they are trying to achieve in terms of being a one stop shop. Unifying everything together. Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Office in the cloud, Skydrive. It's all looking very nicely put together. Sure, there will be bumps along the way - but as some have already said it's a work in progress. I like what I see so far though!

running windows 8 preview release on my new budget machine:

intel pentium g630; 2.7ghz stock.

2x2gb ddr3-1600mhz gskill @1333mhz.

ecs h61h2-m12 mobo.

1tb sata 2 hitachi hdd, ahci mode.

no external gpu.

600w psu.

no sweat in windows 8 installation.

fast boot.

I will upgrade once windows 8 is officially released.

that 40$ upgrade path is way too enticing to pass for an OS so fast.

pressing windows key displays the desktop, so what's the fuss?

DanUK DanUK said:

@ uvindu

Concise version : windows 8 = more clicks = more time taken= less productivity.

Well no not really, as uvindu stated.. more clicks doesn't always mean more time taken if something is organised better.

raybk said:

Yes, it's Irrelevant. Because I will never use it.

ig-88 said:

I wonder if the author of this article could make it any more clear that this article is nothing more than his personal opinion. No, I don't think so. I think he's made it very clear. Nothing but an opinion.

I thought this website was informational. Clearly, its nothing but a personal blog in website's clothing.

1 person liked this | Ranger12 Ranger12 said:

Heh, way to stir the puddin' Matthew. Sometimes it needs to be stirred though.

Personally I don't mind the new UI. I fumbled around at first but after a few weeks in whizzing around just like before. In my opinion it keeps it fresh. If they changed with every release of Windows I can see reason for complaining but after 15+ years of the same thing I'm ready for something fresh.

TeeStarNet TeeStarNet said:

The only problem with Windows 8 is that Microsoft did not give anyone a choice on whether or not to have a start menu. As someone who is responsible for looking after hundreds of users, some who have problems when their icons are re-arranged, Windows 8 will be a non-starter for me.

It took me a little while to adjust, but after the release preview patched its bugs I was able to effectively switch from Win7 and learn how to adjust my workflow.

I think using Metro as the picture indicates is wrong. You should not have more Win32 apps on the start screen than WinRT apps. The tiles should be grouped and named like folders so that you can use semantic zoom to easily find what you're looking for. If you're looking for the alphabetical list of program files from the desktop go to the charms bar and click search. It's actually the same number of steps as Windows 7.

On the desktop there are a number of ways to optimize the new desktop. Here are a few suggestions for advanced users: First you need to learn to right click where the start button used to be as this brings up the most commonly used start menu tasks like run and command prompt. This hidden menu works in every single screen and app in Win8. Pinning your most frequently used folders to Windows File Explorer on the taskbar is also a good idea. Aside from pinning the obvious things like downloads you can pin some less obvious folders. For example right click the start button area, choose 'run' and search for 'recent'. The file explorer will now bring up your recent files folder which you can drag down and pin to the File Explorer jumplist. You can also pin your start menu programs folder to the File Explorer jump list, but if you really want to you can even create a toolbar by right clicking the taskbar and navigating to the start menu programs folder under ProgramData>Microsoft>Windows>Start Menu>Programs. If you want to get really fancy you can also create custom user hot keys for any of these programs under their shortcut properties settings. Then with just a CTRL+ALT+C you can have calculator pop up.

wiyosaya said:

To me, this is the key. 8 is designed for tablets and phones, not desktops. And despite what some industry experts say, the "desktop" is not a dying breed.

You simply cannot do serious CAD/CAA on a phone or a tablet. It is a completely different environment, and M$ has chosen to ignore the human factors element of the target environment. Maybe the future will prove 8 and Metro to be superior on the desktop, but for now, IMHO, the fact they are shoehorning it into the desktop environment seems either a choice to meet a product deadline or what would be worse, IMHO, an engineering decision to ignore the drastic differences between mobile and dedicated environments,

Matthew: As I see it, the following statement is conjecture:

"I can say without a doubt that many people who oppose the Start menu's removal haven't even used Windows 8, yet they don't hesitate to inform you about Metro's inadequacies by listing all the features it's supposedly missing."

Personally, I've spent time using Metro, and I do not like it. Nor do I want to search for an app that is designed to make up for the shortcomings of the OS. IMHO, if I have to enhance the useability of the OS through an app like launchy, then the designers of the OS have simply missed the mark. Users could also do something like put a folder on the desktop, at least in 7 and other prior versions of Windows, an put all their commonly used apps in that folder.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Matthew: As I see it, the following statement is conjecture:

It is, to an extent. But given the completely false notions I've seen spread about Metro, I can only assume many of these individuals haven't used Windows 8 (the alternative is insulting their intelligence but suggesting they can't fairly compare the Start menu to Metro). To be extra clear on a few things... I really don't like Metro, especially not as a desktop environment, but that's not what it's meant to be from my perspective. It's an application launcher and it serves that role well enough that I believe people are blowing the whole Start menu thing way out of proportion. I think there are more valid avenues to focus that frustration, not least of which is the Charms bar and other chunks of the Metro UI bleeding over into the desktop. The Start menu is practically a non-issue, in my opinion.

Windows 8 is a tablet OS. It is a mess on your desktop that gets in the way. I have always early adapted to Windows upgrades; I will not upgrade to this clumsy new version. It is the first time since DOS (I always upgraded DOS too) went to Windows and every system upgrade since then that I am NOT upgrading.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Nope, it's a perfectly fine desktop OS. Barely different than Windows 7 in day to day usage. This is more accurate: Metro is a tablet environment piggybacking on a desktop OS.