You Want to Know This: Xbox One vs. PS4

By Kirk Hamilton on November 28, 2013, 8:22 AM

Two new gaming consoles. Both very powerful. Both very ambitious. Both about to meet head to head... and do battle for your time, money and attention, as well as the fate of the universe! Two weeks ago we reviewed the PlayStation 4. Last week we reviewed the Xbox One. Now that we've had a decent chunk of time with both consoles, let's bang them together and pretend they're fighting.

Each category below will have an "Edge" given to the console that's out front. Let's not get too worked up about it. Both consoles have their strong points, and both have their shortcomings. Both will probably be considerably improved and evened out over the next six months to a year. This isn't the sort of thing that can be assigned a score, and there's no need to tally which console "wins" more edges. The idea here is to give a broad sense of how the consoles are similar and how they're different, and what their respective strengths are.

Read the complete article.

4 people like this | LukeDJ LukeDJ said:

Edge: For ****'s sake, guys. Make your consoles backward compatible.

:p Best comparison article ever

ikesmasher said:

Great comparison-stuff I already knew but many others likely didn't.

The laughs alone made it worth the read xD

3 people like this | JC713 JC713 said:

Those Gifs were amazing!

1 person liked this | Lurker101 said:

Talking about console exclusives in this article is a bit misleading. Neither console has exclusives, only hostages.

1 person liked this | MilwaukeeMike said:

Agreed, good comparison and well done. I laughed at the Wii U winning the Zelda/Mario category. ha

hitech0101 said:

Why can't other people compare devices like this. Great work.

3 people like this | skyczy said:

This article is the single best comparison article on the internet. It's better than watching a video. iI'm just so tired of the "I'm better" arguments, and I can tell that the author here is too.

Nobody will write a better article.

skyczy said:

I'm enjoying this article more than I am enjoying a console because I didn't buy either yet.

Mike Henken said:

I find it hard to understand why you mention the a graphics boost on the ps4 but fail to mention that the xbox one has double the framerate.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

A hilarious yet informative read. Well done Mr. Hamilton.. well done.

Lionvibez said:

I have to agree great comparison.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Sports bros made me laugh. Still don't know which console to get. Id love to play titanfall and new halo but I suck at fps nowadays

Puiu Puiu said:

Xbox has double framerate? what games? I only heard that games on the xbox have framerate "issues" and lower res. nothing about 30 vs 60 fps.

can you give us the link? I want to read it.

PS: great article. loved every bit.

Acespaces Acespaces said:

Absolute best written comparison I've ever read, for once it seemed like the writer was a actual person with attitude, opinions, and realistic language. Solid information along with a fun read!

1 person liked this | Guest said:

And the winner is....... PC !

bexwhitt said:

For some reason I can't remember any more I have been hoping Sony would have gone bust by now (unfortunately they are scraping along) so it would be a Xbox One if I wasn't too cheap

Great read, great article! There just isn't that much incentive to make the jump too next-gen yet and besides that, there is faaaar to many great games I haven't played on my 360 yet to jump ship to the next generation with its whopping six games woooohoooo...... maybe next year

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Hahaha

In all fairness isn't that the case with every new platform?

You may now be aware that all of the people saying that CoD Ghosts looked far superioer on the PS4 have been shown up for what they are; bafoons.

Infinity Ward's benchmarking was broken and it only outputs at 720p on PS4 but runs more smoothly on X Box one.

He who laughs last laughs longest and this really is worth a good long chuckle.

Also while BF4 outputs at 900p on PS4 the game is unplayable, whereas on X box one it is as smooth as butter.

AnonymousSurfer AnonymousSurfer said:

I'm surprised that Watch Dogs wasn't listed as one of Sony's major releases to come out

I got me a PS4 :) and am loving it. Great piece of console!!!

He who laughs last laughs longest and this really is worth a good long chuckle.

Did you just make that all up or are you just kidding, Infinity War confirmed that doesn't run as a high of a quality on the Xbox one, and battlefield is running 1080p on ps4 and is playing fine I have played it and many friends of mine have, you are generalizing a few battlefield 4's not playing as if they were all not playing on the ps4. Also if you would have done your research you would have realized that the Xbox One is overall having more troubles with crash's then the ps4 is.

Given the fact that I didn't just make all this up, if you care to disagree, here is my source; and congrats on the great comparison article typically they either take way to long to come out, lack important information or are to subjective. Go PS4!

Developer Infinity Ward has confirmed rumours that the Microsoft

[image link]

@Guest ^

Battlefield 4 runs at 900p on the PS4, not 1080p.

Call of Duty Ghosts may run at 720p on the Xbox One, but it is said that the Xbox One version runs much smoother than the PS4 version.

To add to my previous post above.

I'm not sure if the PS4 version of BF4 has less problems than the Xbox One version. I've played it on both and I can say that it's about even.

I own and love both consoles already, though Ryse on Xbox One looks better than anything on the Xbox One AND PS4.

ejmfoley said:

You failed to mention an important aspect of the Xbox One. An Xbox Live Gold membership is necessary for many of the One's functions to work. You can't even stream Netflix without a Gold membership. At $60 per year, that is not insignificant. Any comparison of these two gaming consoles should list what the Xbox One can and can't do without an Xbox Live Gold membership.

Cause its easier to have a higher frame rate when your games have poorer graphics across the board as mentioned.

Capaill said:

Sounds like those that prefer quality will go for the PS4 and those that prefer flexibility will go for the Xbox One. But given that both can receive updates and have only just launched, it's way too early to call it.

Seeing as neither supports previous games, there is little reason to stay on an Xbox just because you had an Xbox before. Likewise for PS.

Cuz he might have forgot, or is just biased. Xbox one is a gaming console whether you like it or not. It has extra shit on it, that doesn't mean it makes it less of a gaming console.

grov3r said:

I just want to add that he didn't really put the fact that game-sharing on xbox one is MUCH easier and better.

Source: http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

[link]

That right there is the win. If you didn't believe in Xbox for whatever reason, it's hard to beat the fact that you can virtually pay half for every game you own because you and one other of your friends can be family and share games.

Djammin said:

I would have to say that I agree with pretty much everything in this article aside from the part about the controller. I believe that the xbox one controller is vastly superior to the ps4 controller & actually better than the 360 one also. I felt a bit weird with it at first but a few days later I was better at battlefield than I have ever been before and it does feel great to play with it. There's neat little gadgets on the ps4 controller like the speaker & touchpad but ultimately, I didn't feel good playing killzone with it (didn't really like killzone either) & bf4 on ps4 but it's just a blast to play on the xb1 with that great controller.

Anyways, it's all a matter of opinions & how it feels in your hands & everyone has different hand shape & size so to each his own but for me it's not even comparable, xb1 wins by a huge margin!

Great article, full of laughs. They are very comparable. But in all seriousness, what matters to me most is the online community, the people (or kids) that you'll meet in multiplayer situations. To me, Xbox has always attracted the worst of the worse, the entitled kids who want to do obscene things to your mothers. While PSN has it's fair share of griefers and kids, they are a fraction of what you can experience through an Xbox system. That in itself made my choice, easily.

Ablac Ablac said:

One thing that was not Compared was Online Play, Though I think most people know Xbox Live has the Upper hand, especially now that there both PSN and XBL are Pay to Play services.

TheDreams TheDreams said:

I was not aware that the Xbox is unable to play movies via USB port, that was a letdown on Saturday night. :/

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Hmmm - That would be a must have option, if I was ever to buy one.

Nice vs, but what about the noise they emit?

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Nice vs, but what about the noise they emit?

They are both near silent

The Xbox now to me has gotten the upper hand again in terms of release and the console in general. While both consoles are great and I love them both, the Xbox just feels like a better over all value and has more games to play on it.