Audiophiles rejoice: Here is THX's revamped Deep Note intro

Julio Franco

Staff member

Instantly recognizable to movie buffs and audiophiles, THX Deep Note is the iconic sound played before DVD/Blu-ray movies and on cinema theaters with the proper certification. For many of us, it was also the perfect way to test our brand new home theater equipment right away. 

Now after 30 years, THX has "regenerated" Deep Note using modern technologies and mixing it in current cinema audio formats. Due to technology limitations of the time, the original piece is a four-channel recording that over the years was adapted up to a 5.1 mix.

The new THX Deep Note has been developed in three different lengths: 30, 45 and 60 seconds, all in stereo, 5.1, 7.1 and Atmos mixes. The sound remains instantly recognizable as was developed by digital audio engineer James A. Moorer, the same person who created the original audio trailer back in 1982. The new and original Deep Notes can be played below:

Deep Note debuted in the THX trailer Wings, screened before the 1983 premiere of Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi. Since then, the 'THX Deep Note' has permeated the film industry to become one of the most iconic audio logos in the world.

"When I created the 'THX Deep Note' I wanted a big sound; I had no idea that sound would have such a big impact," says Andy Moorer. "I'm astonished by how widely-recognized the 'THX Deep Note' has become."

Permalink to story.

THX Deep Note - also known as "Volume Check" when you forget to turn your volume down before starting a movie that had this intro. I cant remember the number of times I woke my neighbors (when I lived in an apartment) with this sound. Good to see they updated the original.

I usually have a few mad seconds of scramble of trying to jump at the remote and turn it down before it reaches max volume

First time I heard the new one was for the new Divergent movie, Insurgent. About 5 seconds after it started, I mentioned it sounds like the THX intro, but looked different, then the logo popped up.

I prefer the original, it has a slightly analogue wavering at the end which is more 'genuine' sounding.

I like the new one. It sounds amazing however, I know my speakers aren't THX certified so I'm not sure what am I missing.

Well, being one of those people who used this sound to test my system, I think it is unfortunate that the YouTube recording of it will not express its true dynamics since YouTube seems incapable of producing an audio track in any of the modern digital formats. I wonder if this can be found anywhere in preferably DTS HD Master Audio or Dolby Digital TrueHD other than on one of the newest THX certified discs. ;)

Well, being one of those people who used this sound to test my system, I think it is unfortunate that the YouTube recording of it will not express its true dynamics since YouTube seems incapable of producing an audio track in any of the modern digital formats. I wonder if this can be found anywhere in preferably DTS HD Master Audio or Dolby Digital TrueHD other than on one of the newest THX certified discs. ;)

I was wondering the same. I would be happy even with just a 44/16 stereo WAV file ...

Back