TechSpot

Biggest Rivalries in Computing History

By midian182
Oct 19, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. Pepsi vs. Coke, Edison vs. Tesla, Star Wars vs. Star Trek, history is filled with famous rivalries, but few have matched the intensity and, quite often, the viciousness that comes when two tech industry giants clash heads. Chartering their path from the dawn of computers to the current digital age, here are the five biggest rivalries in computing history.

Read the complete article.

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,519   +2,060

And to think that one of these days none of these giants will exist anymore.

SalaSSin likes this.
  3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,156   +1,431

These rivalries grew from the lack of innovation, like thorns on dry land they did.

As a testament to stupidity and greed, we shall see Apple acquired by McDonald's and Intel by Coca-Cola.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    Philip Pyne likes this.
  4. theruck

theruck TS Booster Posts: 104   +20

Sega mario and nintendo sonic? come on...

5. SalaSSin

SalaSSin TS Booster Posts: 142   +47

I think that's the joke, honestly...

6. theruck

theruck TS Booster Posts: 104   +20

something like AMD Celeron and Intel Athlon. I can't stop laughing now. why have you explained it to me?

7. SalaSSin

SalaSSin TS Booster Posts: 142   +47

Dammit :D

8. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,915   +537

No Nvidia vs AMD/ATI?
    And MS vs Sony could get in the list because of PS vs Xbox

Darth Shiv likes this.
  9. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,653   +523

Didn't you know Apple is the single biggest pain in the *** ever? They sue everyone for everything, hence why they're 3 out of 5 of the biggest rivalries... You'd also think Sony vs Nintendo vs Xbox would be a good one. Nvidia vs AMD would spark too much trolling in the comments section so it makes sense to not include it, besides we all know who's winning that rivalry and who has the future proof hardware. ( :

Squid Surprise likes this.
  10. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,684   +790

Competition continues to drive innovation and for all our sake, I hope it never ends. NASA now depends on competitive contractors to resupply the space station and the most serious talk of heading to MARS is by contractors, not the government. While some of the greatest innovations came from the government, it was the private companies that turned it into usable, salable products. Competition isn't usually pretty, but it gets the job done and for a price the consumer will pay. If we could force more competition and less "partnership" on our drug companies & health providers, we would all benefit from it and until the Government gets off it's duff and uses this approach we will all loose. There are many more such examples and just as many opportunities for some bright young start up to step in and take control of the industry.

H3llion likes this.
  11. Igrecman

Igrecman TS Enthusiast Posts: 92   +49

What rivalry? They need each other. Microsoft invested 150 millions to save Apple from bankruptcy in 1997. Microsoft needed a worthy competitor to avoid being dismantled because of the antitrust law.

H3llion and Puiu like this.
  12. Bigtruckseries

Bigtruckseries TS Maniac Posts: 423   +221

Whether it's Intel vs. AMD or AMD vs. Nvidia, I don't really consider either to be a true "rivalry" because you have a clear dominating power. INTEL and NVIDIA are laughing at AMD/ATI. They have no choice but to go low while Intel and NVIDIA go high. The Intel + Nvidia computer solutions are the absolute best on the market and command a higher price.

I'm using a Core i7 with 32GB of RAM and a Titan X running three 20" monitors and a 4K TV (silently) as I write this. It's the best computer system I've ever owned or imagined.

As for "console wars"...

PS and Xbox are a weak rivalry.

The 3rd party developers have given up on "exclusives" and they would rather produce for the PC, PS and XBOX so they can maximize their profits.

When I was a kid in the 80's, we had TRUE console wars.

Nintendo vs. Sega was as nasty a campaign as Trump vs. Clinton - with NEC waiting in the background to try and make a case for a 3rd party - always remaining on the fringe.

The exclusives for Nintendo and Sega "made" the consoles. Unfortunately for Sega, Nintendo's games were more accessible. When I was a kid, we didn't have as many game stores as we do now. It was either Toys R Us or KB toys for the average consumer. Now you have grocery stores and corporate game stores everywhere...all being dominated by online downloads which make it so you needn't leave your parent's basement to purchase a new game.

One of the big issues was finding new games. I wasn't easily able to get a new copy of new releases because many sellers didn't have them. Had to go to the import shops in many cases until the days of CD-based games made games easier to mass-produce and easier to purchase.

Ultimately, Nintendo and Sega fell behind because of Sony's embrace of CD-based games. Sony beat Sega because Sega let 3rd party development falter by producing too many systems that were difficult to develop for (a mistake Sony made in PS3 and corrected in PS4).

Microsoft did the smart thing: build a console using off-the-shelf PC equipment.

Ultimately that's the way to go - making the consoles more like PC.

Unfortunately it feels like the only real difference is the controller, but we all know exclusives make all the difference.

13. anarchoprimitiv

anarchoprimitiv TS Rookie

no we don't....enlighten us

Bigtruckseries likes this.
  14. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,653   +523

Nice try, but not really.