Hitachi crime-predicting platform to begin trials in October

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Hitachi has unveiled a system that it claims can accurately predict where and when crime will strike. Dubbed Hitachi Visualization Predictive Crime Analytics (PCA), the system takes in an exuberant amount of data from a variety of sources and applies machine learning to help find patterns that humans might not spot.

The technology comes from Darrin Lipscomb and Mark Jules, co-founders of crime-monitoring tech companies Avrio and Pantascene. Hitachi acquired the two in September 2014.

Forecasting crime is far from an original idea although as Jules recently told Fast Company, law enforcement has traditionally built prediction models based on their experience with certain variables and gives them a specific weight. The Hitachi model removes the human bias and decides on its own if there’s a correlation between various data points.

It may seem asinine but a lot of criminals air out their dirty laundry right in for all to see on social media, albeit often using code words and so on. Adding in data points from social media can increase the accuracy of predicting crime by as much as 15 percent.

What kind of data sets is the PCA compatible with? Way more than you’d probably expect. We’re told that it can compensate for variables like proximity to schools, nearby subway stations, 911 calls, gunshot sensors and even the weather.

Hitachi is planning to trial the system in roughly half a dozen cities starting in October.

Images courtesy Fast Company

Permalink to story.

Anyone read Minority Report - short story by Philip K **** (and a movie and TV show as well).... looks like the future is now!

Police can program their self-driving prowlers and be there before it happens...ha ha ha

Anyone read Minority Report - short story by Philip K **** (and a movie and TV show as well).... looks like the future is now!

This isn't Minority Report style crime prevention. This is more akin to forecasting the weather.

Minority Report would be developing an algorithm that accurately calculates when you will violate a law at some point in the future.

I wonder what types of crime they are predicting... murders? Theft? Hard to believe it can do something like predict a violent murder...

Well, "The Thought Police" have finally arrived. This was supposed to happen in 1984. But, I suppose "better late than never". Oops, I mean, it would have been better never than late. Sorry...:D

Omg... censured his last name... it's D..I...C...K... how does that get censored???!?!?!
Because the censorship function of the software isn't case sensitive. And besides, if it were case sensitive, then whoever wanted to use that word as a slang vulgarity, would simply spell it with a capital "D". Not that big of a mystery really.

But the word itself isn't really profane... got to get a handle on what we really need censored...
Well, I see you're being a big Richard as usual.

It's one thing to sit back and criticize how something is being done, quite another to be the one that has to do it. A big part of which is trying to figure out how to make a living in a highly competitive environment, while maintaining the seemingly frivolous, free tech support /playground, to which a forum such as this amounts.

The site's software has been constantly modified since its installation. For example, we used to be able to put quote marks around random text. We used to be able to resize text, which was a fun feature, if not abused.

But the most salient thing we lack now is, "guest" posting. The sites operators were staunch defenders of the ability of guests to post in the "Weekend Open Forum", even as members complained bitterly about it for years. The privilege now having been abused to the point it has been withdrawn. Myself, I found guests who were better informed and more cordial than many members, but many more who where nothing, if not vulgar, uninformed trolls, hiding behind the total anonymity that "guest" provides. Anonymity even beyond that which a simple screen alias provides.

I tend to view members with low post counts, (perhaps even as "many" as 210), as pretty much, "glorified guests". They know all about what needs to be done to suit them, but can't really grasp the bigger picture of forum activity in general.

You do have have a couple of options here. You could start a thread in, "Site Feedback & Suggestions", about why it is imperative that we be able to use the word "D*ck as a diminutive form of "Richard". Add to that, the fact you don't understand how we've managed to get along all these years, and two different forum software platforms without it. Or, you could start "Squidspot", and show these amateurs how it's done.(y)

Last edited:
It would seem the staff has the last say on quite a few of your posts, more so than myself.:D

Last edited:
Back