Microsoft releases critical security patch for Windows

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft has today released a critical out-of-band security update for all supported versions of Windows, addressing a serious flaw that could potentially lead to remote code execution on unpatched systems.

The update resolves a vulnerability surrounding OpenType fonts. Without the update installed, if a user opens a "specially crafted" document or visits a dodgy webpage that contains embedded OpenType fonts, an attacker could remotely execute code on the victim's system.

Microsoft says the security update "addresses the vulnerability by correcting how the Windows Adobe Type Manager Library handles OpenType fonts". The company has graded the severity of the exploit as "critical" and says that exploitation is "more likely" to occur, although no exploits have been detected in the wild yet.

Considering this security update has not been bundled with Microsoft's next Patch Tuesday release, it's probably a good idea to head into Windows Update and download the patch right away. If you have automatic updates installed (as you should have on your system), this process will be taken care of for you.

The update is available for all supported version of Windows: Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1, Server 2008 and 2008 R2, Server 2012 and 2012 R2, and even RT 8.1.

Permalink to story.

"Gee Wally, I didn't think Windows 10 would ever need any security patches because everybody is always screaming how secure it is already. What's going on Wally?".

"You believed what Microsoft said Beaver. That was your first mistake".

Same ole whack-a-mole game. No reason to move off Windows 7 yet that I can see. :)

In fact, if you think about it, the more popular post "Windows 7" operating systems become the more likely they are to be the main targets of hackers. Which means less attacks on older operating systems which means, older operating systems will be more secure by default. Because nobody is concerned about them anymore. Ah, I can sleep soundly tonight.

Now...where were those people calling for the death of Adobe Flash again?
Do we call for the death of Windows 10 now? Or do you wanna wait a month until the next security breach is discovered?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2949...ill-receive-security-fixes-for-ten-years.html

Let the hacking begin.

Last edited:
Security through obscurity is never a sound basis for any system. Proper care and due dilligance is what really secures a system.

"Gee Wally, I didn't think Windows 10 would ever need any security patches because everybody is always screaming how secure it is already. What's going on Wally?".

Same ole whack-a-mole game. No reason to move off Windows 7 yet that I can see. :)

In fact, if you think about it, the more popular post "Windows 7" operating systems become the more likely they are to be the main targets of hackers. Which means less attacks on older operating systems which means, older operating systems will be more secure by default. Because nobody is concerned about them anymore. Ah, I can sleep soundly tonight.

Do we call for the death of Windows 10 now? Or do you wanna wait a month until the next security breach is discovered?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2949...ill-receive-security-fixes-for-ten-years.html

Let the hacking begin.
Who the fark said W10 is more secure? You're trolling or bullshiating

Man, you're so badly behind the times it's not even funny. You should upgrade to Win 98 pronto, I hear it produces an awesome deep blue color when used in front of large audiences.
It's to complicated for me for now so I think I'll try Win 95 first before taking such a bold step. Maybe I'll be ready for Win 98 in about 2025. :D

Let the hacking begin.

Does it even have anything to do with W10?

Let the hacking begin.
No OS will EVER be 100% secure, it is not possible considering all the things we expect a modern OS to do. The best you can ask for is a company that will fix the problems in a timely manner and MS does that.

I fail to see windows 10 listed as one of the affected OS's in this article, stop the windows bashing, they fixed the issue before it was even in the wild... unlike apple, in the wild for months before fixed that lovely iMessage issue, not to mention Adobe Flash...

Golly GeeWhiz - - I seem to have read somewhere that
resolves a vulnerability surrounding OpenType fonts.

Take the issue seriously kids, Bad Fonts are hard to defend against and they can lead to BSODs.

Back