Samsung expected to sell 45 million Galaxy S6 smartphones this year

Shawn Knight

Staff member

respectable samsung galaxy s6 iphone android smartphone sales galaxy s6 edge

Samsung’s Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge are without a doubt the company’s best smartphones to date. The devices have received positive feedback since the day they were unveiled, leading to lofty sales expectations of up to 70 million units.

A revised outlook from Deutsche Bank, however, forecasts Samsung to sell a “respectable” 45 million units through the end of 2015. That may be respectable for most manufacturers but it’s likely a tough pill for Samsung to swallow.

The Galaxy S4 is Samsung’s best-selling smartphone to date. The 45 million Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge phones that Samsung is predicted to sell this year is the same number the flagship from two years ago sold.

respectable samsung galaxy s6 iphone android smartphone sales galaxy s6 edge

The Galaxy S5, as you may recall, failed to live up to expectations as consumers made it clear that they were tired of the same recycled plastic design. Poor earnings led to the departure of a few top executives although mobile chief JK Shin stuck around.

Samsung got its act together with its latest batch of smartphones. In our review of the devices, we found them to be polished to a sufficient standard both in terms of hardware and software. It’s not perfect, however, as the Korean tech giant ditched the removable battery and microSD card slot that Galaxy fans have become accustomed to.

We won’t know for sure how the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge are doing until Sammy releases official figures but it’s crazy that we’re living in a time where selling 45 million smartphones in three quarters is just “respectable.”

Permalink to story.

After being on IOS since the beginning I took a leap of faith and upgraded to an S6. The phone is phenomenal and I continue to learn how to use it's features. I do have reservations about the battery life as it is less than average.

Expected....that is what you tell investors. Actual sales will probably be much lower. The smartphone market is saturated. Until someone comes up with "the next best thing", I can't see anyone getting really excited about minor upgrades to speeds, display densities, more megapixels on cameras.
There needs to be a fundamental change, as the iPhone did in 2007.

On a side note, 45 million S6 owners trade in their open source crapdroid phones for an iOS device.

After being on IOS since the beginning I took a leap of faith and upgraded to an S6. The phone is phenomenal and I continue to learn how to use it's features. I do have reservations about the battery life as it is less than average.

That's one reason I went with the LG G4. So far battery has been great (for me anyway), and if it starts to deteriorate after a year I can just put in the 2nd one they gave away free with their promo. :)

Kudos to Samsung for such a great phone though. I love how these companies (Apple, Samsung, LG, HTC) keep trying to out-do each other on their phones. Makes for great, fast progress for us consumers to enjoy. :)

iPhones have already beaten that number ,
iPhone 6 is probably close to 90 million now.
6 plus is probably at 20 million.
Lets wait for Apple's Q2 results next month to confirm.

also come the end of the year we know the drill.

Is that sarcasm I sensing lol. On another note, I've been on boycott against Samsung products ever since my S4 died out of the blue on me earlier this year. Yeah, my situation was a rare occurrence but that was my first and last time I ever dealt w/ a Samsung phones.
Sorry to hear about your S4 but these things happen to the best of devices. If your phone was less than 2 years old Sammy will fix or replace it gratis (assuming you didn't treat it like a gorilla that is).

Sorry to hear about your S4 but these things happen to the best of devices. If your phone was less than 2 years old Sammy will fix or replace it gratis (assuming you didn't treat it like a gorilla that is).
It is less than 2 years old, kept it in a Otterbox case and looks brand new... What would I need to do or go a/b getting Samsung to fix it. I got it in Sept 2012. It died in Jan this year :-(

It is less than 2 years old, kept it in a Otterbox case and looks brand new... What would I need to do or go a/b getting Samsung to fix it. I got it in Sept 2012. It died in Jan this year :-(
I'm in South Africa and your country might differ in regard to this but I'll tell you what I'd do...
I'd take it to my wireless carriers nearest offices and leave it with them. My phone is carrier unlocked so if they told me they couldn't help me I'd take it to the nearest Samsung service centre outlet, they're common where I'm situated, and ask them to sort it out. I've done this kind of thing before and they were very friendly and accommodating.
If you acquired your phone in 2012 you could be outta luck though, the warranty on their, and most/all smartphones is 2 years but hey, it's worth a shot. Faint heart never won fair lady.

Back