Samsung researchers almost double the life of smartphone batteries

Dieter Holger

samsung smartphone battery handsets lithium ion lithium-ion graphene silicon batteries li-on

Last week research published in Nature and funded by Samsung outlined lithium-ion technology that could supply nearly double the battery life of conventional batteries. Li-on batteries power mobile devices, like Samsung's Galaxy smartphones, so we might soon be owning a handset with a substantially better charge.

These next generation li-on batteries combine silicon and graphene, surrounding anodes of the former with a layer of graphene. Anodes are the structures in li-on batteries that store the electrically charged lithium ions. Typically, most li-on anodes are made out of graphite, but silicon can hold a charge ten times better. This is exactly why the anodes in the experimental batteries were made out of silicon.

Graphene was then layered on top of the silicon anodes, creating a battery denser than previous experimental batteries and far denser than batteries in current consumer electronics. If you want a good battery, density is key, and graphene -- although a million times thinner than paper -- is so dense that not even a single helium atom can penetrate it.

The novel design resulted in 1.5 to 1.8 times longer charge than presently available li-on batteries. This means a handset that lasts 10 hours could technically last up to 18 hours with the technology. Li-on batteries are also found in laptops and the newest electric cars -- so the research could have implications for more than mobile computing. But guess what, it could take years before Samsung incorporates this technology into their products, though we can always hope.

Smartphone with low battery image from Shutterstock.

Permalink to story.

If the past decade has anything to say for itself, it would be that this is another wishful thinking report.
I would probably have to agree with BMfan as well.

Instead of using this tech properly,they will probably just make the battery smaller so it last as long as now but you can say "look how thin my phone is"
Thinner phones require fatter wallets. I'm sure some manufacturers will shove a decent capacity battery into some their models. The trick is to see if this tech makes it's way to us first but I'm not holding my breath.

Well, at least they're ahead of anyone else offering anything new other than Lithium Ion. I hope it's still relevant by the time it come out.

Strange, every few months we hear about someone or company created a revolutionary battery ... for the last 10 year or so.

So they doubled battery capacity again! I hope to see them by the end of the summer right ?! nope

Since 2006, I think they double it every 6 months, according to them. But our phones are still powered by 2500mAh batteries (avg), and I predict in 5 years these will be AT BEST 5000mAh. But there still will be dozens of battery capacity breakthrough claims.

Seriously, this is a real joke. Battery tech is nearly stuck at the same level, since 10years. We're more like 15-20 years away from decent battery density.

Don't get your hopes too high on this people. Petroleum industry is making sure that these techs do not improve too fast.

The day I can pick up a flagship device and have ALL of my games running smoothly is the day I'll even consider caring about about a topic that only means anything to people who don't know how to "force stop" their apps after they open them. I cant believe battery life is still such a hot topic when it comes to phones. we have 3500 mah batteries out there yet that isn't enough. seriously what do you people do on your phones?

The day I can pick up a flagship device and have ALL of my games running smoothly is the day I'll even consider caring about about a topic that only means anything to people who don't know how to "force stop" their apps after they open them. I cant believe battery life is still such a hot topic when it comes to phones. we have 3500 mah batteries out there yet that isn't enough. seriously what do you people do on your phones?
I thought only iphones needed that Force Stop? My android phone lasted 3 days (before I cut my contract with Telus, lasts even longer now that I don't use it for texting/calling) and I never force stop my apps. My job's iphone 5s though I'm lucky if it lasts one day, and I force stop all apps.

What Samsung could do to make their current batteries last longer is quite easy actually. Stop adding uninstallable bloatware apps on their devices. That's why my Galaxy Tab S 8.4 is my first and last Samsung device. It's ridiculous that this 6 month old tablet struggles to last half a day on battery while my 3 year old LG Optimus G still lasts 3 days.

How many times have we heard this news. I remember clearly about a decade ago news about umpteen times longer laptop batteries. Meantime I still don't have a smartphone just because of their short battery life.

So they doubled battery capacity again! I hope to see them by the end of the summer right ?! nope

Since 2006, I think they double it every 6 months, according to them. But our phones are still powered by 2500mAh batteries (avg), and I predict in 5 years these will be AT BEST 5000mAh. But there still will be dozens of battery capacity breakthrough claims.

Seriously, this is a real joke. Battery tech is nearly stuck at the same level, since 10years. We're more like 15-20 years away from decent battery density.

Don't get your hopes too high on this people. Petroleum industry is making sure that these techs do not improve too fast.

Yes, because they wouldn't want us to stop using our GAS POWERED PHONES.

/facepalm

You know what else would help battery life? If apps on current mobile platforms actually closed when you exited them. You know, like they used to?

Yes, because they wouldn't want us to stop using our GAS POWERED PHONES.

/facepalm
If you read the article you'd know it mentioned that this tech could also be used in electric cars. If your hand wasn't over your face you might could read better.

Ppl, I know that we all heard these stories before, and hardly anything changes, or does so slowly. But thats the nature of R&D. We say, our batteries dont last long or quit out on us but it's not that easy to judge. The battery in our smartwatches/mobiles is really a marvel of technology, but if the apps we use isnt programmed correctly, OS is buggy or aint optimized properly etc, that will drain the charge even tho the tech. would have made a big difference than before. Or the programs we using are more sophisticated and so require more 'juice'. Then we the comsumers are demanding our screens be Super HD, Quantum Displays, & 4k...all that put together will make us think that the battery tech hasn't done squat.

Phones are really important in our day-to-day errands. Making the battery life double may give a great impact to the company. Lighter phones is also easier to bring with.

Techspot get your act together and make your headlines factually correct. This is about lithium-ion technology not specifically smartphone batteries.

Back