World of Warcraft has 5 million users

By Derek Sooman on December 20, 2005, 3:16 PM
World of Warcraft, the massively multiplayer online role-playing game has surpassed 5 million customers worldwide, according to its creators Blizzard. Seemingly the world's most popular MMORPG, World of Warcraft continues to exceed the expectations of Blizzard, who claim it has a strong presence across Asia, Australia, Europe, and North America. The game has an add-on pack, World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade, set for release next year.

DragonMaster said:
That's a lot of people (And money too...)!
nathanskywalker said:
that is crazy! though i would definently believe it.
Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Nuts but looking at the amount of people playing WoW, I figure it was coming at us anyways.
MarkSizzle said:
That is insane! Congradultaions to Blizzard for surpassing the million mark. Unfortunately I don't play WoW only beacaus I wont play it enough for the price I would have to play so i have Guild Wars. A lot of people said WoW wouldnt do any thing with how bad their servers were in the begining but this proves them wrong lol.
nimo333 said:
How many servers are they actually running, does anyone know?
PanicX said:
hundreds. But they don't own them, they lease them from an AT&T datacenter. The extreme load of users on their servers is why I don't play anymore, load times are horrible and the network code seems half-ass.
Chamot said:
5 million times 14.99 USD times 12 months equals 900 million USD per year. PC gaming is doomed indeed!
flavin said:
i hope blizzard spends that billion dollars on makin diablo 3
Bartzy said:
LOL flavin :) I hope so too...I am considering buying WoW due to the great reviews about it. 5 million players is indeed a lot, and it indicates the success of this game. I think I will buy it soon... This, or Guild Wars :)
asphix said:
good deal, Blizzard deserves it. They develop great games in my opinion.Thats a whole lot of revenue, I wonder how much it costs to host and maintain all those servers. It would be interesting to see a study on the exact profit margins Blizzard is pulling in on this investment.
mentaljedi said:
Strakian said:
[b]Originally posted by flavin:[/b][quote]i hope blizzard spends that billion dollars on makin diablo 3[/quote]I'm in no way surpirsed they have over 5 Million customers, as I am a loyal drone to their excellent wares!On the note of Diablo 3, it's impossible (unless terms have been exchanged) for Blizzard to make Diablo 3 by that name because all the development team from Blizz North that left the company held the rights to the Diablo series. This company, FlagShip Studios, are the one currently working on Hellgate: LONDON, taking the Diablo concept to a new level. Everyone insterested in a "new" diabo should look into this game, and it's going to be extremely amazing. A few known highlights:[b]Randomly generated dungeons in real 3D (YES, random 3D Levels ala diablo)Levels, experience, and skill treesFirst and third person perspective (Guns [Spellcasters], and melee weapons resepctively)[/b]Check it out!
Strakian said:
[b]Originally posted by mentaljedi:[/b][quote]If i were them, i would use that money to put it back into the game and servers. I have heard about load times and enough said.[/quote]I've been playing since Open Beta, and they have really got the servers in a much better status. They had serious lag etc issues for many months, but since last year, they have imnproved immensely and have expanded to around 100 or more servers available with varying population. They also have capped servers and some are now marked as FULL so noone can make characters on it.If you were saddened by it before, try it again, it's a lot more playable, enjoyable, and complete game than it was when it first came out. If your machine is up to the task of course... :)
doomsweek said:
How many out of the 5 million users are koreans? I've heard that most of them are koreans. Some are even skipping eating, sleeping, and bathing just to play online games, bah what poor fellows.