A peek at ATI's All-InWonder 2006 PCI-Express $199 card

By Justin Mann on December 27, 2005, 12:23 PM
The high-end card market gets all the attention usually, even when it comes to multimedia users, since often the most popular multimedia video card series out there, the All In Wonder, is coupled with a high end GPU. Thankfully, ATI is providing a sub-$200 All-In-Wonder PCI-Ex card in the form of the “All-InWonder 2006 PCI Express” edition. Based on the X1300, the card is by no means a performance king and the benchmarks show just that, but it has all the beautiful additions the All In Wonder series brings along with it that make the card attractive for use in a TV/Freevo/MythTV/Home Theater/etc situation. The card does natively support Shader Model 3.0, the hyped Avivo, HDR and more, so despite having less kick than faster cards it still has all their features. It is a 90nm part that should consume less power than previous models.

The review goes into video quality, one of the most important aspects when selecting a media card, and highlights the increasing need for high quality input sources such as HDTV. Gamers won't be wanting to go anywhere near this, but anyone building or upgrading a multimedia machine should take a look.

mtyson8 said:
Sounds nice, for the price. But, Im not sure many will buy, because, in my opinion, people who know about all this stuff like multimedia, tv tuner, and HDTV tend to like power, so they will also want a gamer card. I think a X1600 based all in wonder will be a little more usefull. Its like buying a new Ferrari for $120,000 and it having a 190Hp V6. Anyone who would want this would probably go with a normal ferrari.
Soul Harvester said:
PanicX said:
[b]Originally posted by Soul Harvester:[/b][quote]For me, though, I tend to have one machine for gaming and one machine for TV, so having a lower priced card as an option is a cool thing.[/quote]Agreed. I'm actually in the processes of designing and building a HTPC. The number of options are actually quite staggering, there's no clear cut way to go for any design that I can find. This just adds one more option to the whole mess. But overall the more options the better, it just takes a task that I thought would be mindless and complicates it to the point of actually researching.
nathanskywalker said:
wow, umm... yah... every time i look there's a new card coming out...not even sure i care...
PUTALE said:
it's a decent card packed with a lot of multimedia features. I still hope that ATI will sell these multimedia card for cheaper price, i know it has more feature than a standard 1300xl but it's still quite expensive considering the performance of the card alone. Though it's a great card, speically all the new feature of ati's new card for the multimedia
Bartzy said:
When you buy a HTPC you can also use a specialized TV tuner card, that can do everything AIW is doing and maybe better. Something like Hauppagauge or is a nice option.Anyway, X1300 is a nice video card for HTPC proposes only, but I don't think it's a good choice for new games of any kind.What's Freevo and MythTV BTW ? :)
PanicX said:
They're software packages that run on Linux to provide media center capabilities.[url=http://www.mythtv.org/]MythTV Homepage[/url] [url=http://freevo.sourceforge.net/about.html]About Freevo[/url]
realblackstuff said:
mentaljedi said:
Another card that's too expensive for me... oh well.
PC-tech said:
[b]Originally posted by realblackstuff:[/b][quote]Why do people want to look at a small screen, attached to a PC, probably in a cramped bedroom, and watch TV with the help of all sorts of expensive add-on cards, when you can buy perfect (portable) televisions in any size and colour?If you are a student living in a rented room perhaps, but otherwise?Beats me...When I watch TV, I don't want to see a PC in the room either.[/quote]Builing my DVR Media center PC to use with my 46' Projection Tv and wireing it to my Home theater room with a Video projector with is 75" screen, I think this is a relivent discussion.I like to consider the many differt options for a cost efficient solution to recording & time shifting of movies and TV shows.