Divx to cooperate with Google

By Derek Sooman on January 9, 2006, 7:04 PM
Divx is set to work more closely with Google. Talks (which are currently at a very early stage) are in place to get Divx to help Google to move video content across various device types and ultimately onto the TV screen. Google has a goal of making the world's video content more accessible to people on the Net, and Divx will be able to help make this possible according to Google. Currently, though, there are no announcements as to when Divx technology may be included in Google's technologies.

spike said:
ah well. Nice for them. Anybody with any sense is using XviD now anyway :D Google and DivX were made for each other - both started with the best of intentions and then became so big that they didn't have to care too much about quality and the end-user.
exscind said:
Yeah, XviD is much better anyway (and h.264/mkv too). Although I doubt anything new will be presented. It seems like Google is just going to buy licensing rights to incorporate Divx into Google's next project. I hope I am wrong?
blue_dragon said:
Yey my favorite site and encoder working together.Have you guys ever tried encoding video with Divx? So great quality for small size :D
spike said:
Xvid gives equal if not better quality at smaller sizes, with less artifacts :) It's an offspin of DivX, where the DivX guys decided to go corporate, and some of the people on DivX felt they wanted it to go the other way - hence the open-source Xvid
otmakus said:
Xvid is newer and, like everyone said, better than DivX, but DivX has its root deeper, with more resources, that Google has no choice but choosing them, instead of Xvid.This reminds me a lot to Windows and Linux.
nathanskywalker said:
bout divx and google[url]http://news.com.com/DivX+partners+with+Google+Vid
o,+Pioneer/2100-1025_3-6022290.html[/url]That would be nice, google was lacking a video conferenceing thingy...yeah...and divx would be good.
zachig said:
WOW. That's a great match between Google and DivX. I'm sure that only good will come from this match. GOOD LUCK!!!
Vaerilis said:
I wonder why DivX was chosen...Xvid would be a no-brainer choice, its hardware requirements are not much higher than those of DivX and the image quality is significantly better. If they wanted to be innovative, then H.264 would have been the best choice: even low bandwidth streams would have been high quality streams. People with weaker computers could always tune to the lowest quality streams, while the others could watch video clips in near-DVD quality on a 1 megabit line (or extremely clear footage on a fat connection).
sngx1275 said:
Good, I hope they end this .flv or whatever format google video is now in. I know you can dl the streams with a firefox extention to disk, and then convert, but thats too much work for a fairly ugly looking video.
Cartz said:
Hmmm... Seems to me that this is probably the best thing that could have happened to DivX. Their format is well on the way to becoming the defacto standard, and this will definately be a big push towards that. Not only is it likely that Google Video will be converting to some form of DivX format, but DivX could now find its way onto portable devices and eventually even TVoIP. Anyone know if DivX has a stock offering? I bet anyone who owned that made some money when this news broke.
vigilante said:
Next week we'll read that google is striking a deal with Chevy to build google-enabled vehicles. The tires will be multicolored and have a GPS in it with search address function. lol
barfarf said:
[/url]
mentaljedi said:
I'm mildly surprised by this move but then, Google surprises me so much I just get used to it. Google's been making all these wierd moves lately, and i think its leading to something being released 4th Q in 2006 (Hmmm... near Vista's realease. Coincidence?)
sngx1275 said:
[b]Originally posted by barfarf:[/b][quote]Seems promising. I feel bad for xvid they could use more support but then again where is the money?? On a side note i just purchased an xvid/divx divd player from target for $60. Its call Phillips DVP-642. So far its play all the divx and xvid video i threw at it. Its the best bang for the buck. You can read more about it here...[url]http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/8273
[/url][/quote]Yep, I got the same one. I bought one for my parents a while back, and then got jealous of it because my current dvd player wouldn't play divx/xvid (played everything else though, Apex 5131) so I got one for myself. I liked it so much I got one for my sister too for Christmas. They don't even advertise it will play XviD, but it does. Btw, if anyone has problems with theirs with XviD, shoot me a PM, I read about a fix one day.
flavin said:
hey i dont no if u guys have seen this yet but i just saw it today. GOOGLE VIDEO. [url]http://video.google.com/[/url] it says its a beta. is this the first step of google and xvid?
Mictlantecuhtli said:
[b]Originally posted by otmakus:[/b][quote]Xvid is newer and, like everyone said, better than DivX, but DivX has its root deeper, with more resources, that Google has no choice but choosing them, instead of Xvid.[/quote]Excuse me, but both DivX and XviD have their roots in [url=http://www.projectmayo.com]Project Mayo[/url]. XviD is just a different fork of OpenDivx.