Nokia settles patent dispute

By Derek Sooman on January 10, 2006, 2:14 PM
Nokia claims to have settled its dispute with Kyocera Corp. over patents. The result will be that Kyocera will be able to use some patents belonging to the world's largest mobile phone maker. Now, Kyocera will pay royalties on Nokia's essential patents, and some additional patents. This new agreement resolves all outstanding litigation between the two companies.

"Reciprocally, Nokia is licensed under all of Kyocera's essential patents, and some additional patents, relating to all standards and covering all Nokia mobile phone, module and infrastructure products," the Finnish company said.

cyrax said:
This is good news. I'm unsure what infringement claims were made , but now that thats solved. I own a nokia and its pretty good. not the best reception, but cheap enough.
Cartz said:
Mmmm, I'm sure it won't be too long before another hole in one of their patent portfolios is exposed. Then some other litigation, led by some patent trolling company like NTP, will spring up and create all sorts of uproar.It amazes me how far the patent system has been perverted from its original intentions. At least there is some sort of overhaul to the system in the works, although I doubt it will adress the serious problems of the troll companies which simply exist to sue productive companies on some obscure patent.Speaking of which, have NTP's patents been found invalid yet?
mentaljedi said:
I don;t know Cartz but you'll find it on trusty Google. But anyway, this is just one of many of similar problems arising. Anyway, at least its sorted. Nokia is the type of phone provider that has a phone for basically everyone. Reception is not bad either.
Race said:
Cartz said:
[b]Originally posted by Race:[/b][quote]On a side note....I do like Nokia products, having had a couple of their phones, but one thing about them that gripes me is the fact that their technology is so slow in making it to the U.S. The rest of the world seems to get all of the really cool Nokia phones long before they make it to the States.....if they make it at all. That's mainly why I no longer have a Nokia......too many others with better selections. [/quote]It seems to be that way with many companies, I work at a mobile phone/PDA company, and I know for a fact that we release all the coolest gear in Europe first because the market there is willing to spend far more money on their phones then we in North America are.In fact, our betas for european models are always the first to be filled, usually the phones are stylish and sleek versions with essentially the same underlying architecture as those we sell in NA.
exscind said:
I can't say much regarding the patent disputes between Nokia and Kyocera since I don't know much about it (nor did the article elaborate any further). But as long as disputes are settled, it's good news I suppose.As for the popularity (or lack thereof) of Nokia in North America, I think it's just how market advertising and trends lead other cell phone brand than Nokia. In the U.S., it seems Motorola takes the lead (especially with the advent of the Razr), then Samsung and Sony Ericsson (to a lesser degree). In places like Eastern Asia, Nokia and Samsung are really popular. In terms of who gets what phones first, it is a general trend for the new technology to reach places in Eastern Asia and Europe, then trickle into North America, etc. This is especially true for anything electronic like cell phones, cars, and computer hardwares.
zachig said:
I really like Nokia cellphones. I had few of their phones, then I've upgraded to Motorolla T720 which was a shi**y phone, and as I was gonna move back to Nokia, I got for FREE a Panasonic GD55 mobile phone, which is nice and small, but nothing compares to Nokia. My next mobile phone will be definitely from Nokia. They are good, durable and easy to use.
MonkeyMan said:
I currently have service with Nokia, and I hope that this deal doesn't go sour in the future. Although they have settled this, it could still become a problem in the future. Anyway, I'm glad to see that they have at least come to an agreement. Great job on both sides of the equation.