Apple may release FM broadcasting iPod

By Justin Mann on January 10, 2006, 8:04 PM
Yet more iPod news, Apple may be developing a version of the iPod that will allow it you become a mini FM radio. FM transmitters are popular for mp3 players, and in fact some have made their name by directly marketing themselves towards iPod users (such as the iRiver). This may hurt sales of those products should Apple go through with it, but the functionality is something that most everyone would like. Setting down your mp3 player in your car and listening to your music on the way to work without having to hook anything up is great. The less wires to go along with it, the better.

"The end result will be that your stored iTunes on your iPod will not only play on these in-vehicle stereos, but also present corresponding data such as the artist's name, iTune(s) title and so forth on the RDS stereo's mini display," a blogger at
Though the article mentioned concerns from people about bleeding signals, every FM transmitter I've used personally used frequencies that are not commonly used, and let you choose different ones. Hopefully, a broadcasting iPod would be able to select different frequencies to avoid those sorts of situations.

nathanskywalker said:
while this would be cool,"stay away from apple!". well, if you like apple hey, whateva. But just how good of reception would this ipod get? And is this article saying that the ipod would have recording capabilities?
asphix said:
I think this would be an excellent thing to incorporate! The technology is cheap enough to do it also, and the increased functionality would be excellent!No wires in your car! You can keep your ipod in your pocket and forget about it. On top of that, I suspect this could open up loads of new doors such as wireless headphones for your iPod and the like. Very exciting!
2old said:
PUTALE said:
i thought apple just released ipod remote that with fm capability. what sucks is that this little sucker will cost close to 50. Man, I wish apple stop charging such premium for thier stuff. Though I love fm though, sometimes you just want to listen some FM.
exscind said:
Apple doesn't seem to be slowing down on expanding the iPod to broaden its horizon and reach out to every crowd. The addition of a FM capability in the iPod will make listening to radios in the car simpler.But this news is a shocker to me. The government has been trying to put a squeeze on radio frequencies for broadcasting. Not many people may know about it because it's not something the government wants to advertise. Because right now the frequencies are too wide and the "spots" in that range of frequencies are not always used, so it becomes wasted in a sense. What the government wants to do is tighten the frequency; so for example, instead of the typical 10khz to 40khz (all hypothetical, has no real life value) would be shrunk down to 10khz to 20khz. The government would then secure the 20khz to 40khz as private frequencies for military use. This will act as a back-up communication in case of emergency or if the usual communication line is down.So for Apple to support FM broadcasting came as a surprise to me. I'm not quite sure what it is all about, but I hope the government won't interfere with radio stations too much seeing FM is still a great alternative to MP3 players.
iluvnug said:
This is a cool idea. I might actually start using my car radio. I haven't done that in years since the radio stations are so commercialized.
asphix said:
[b]Originally posted by 2old:[/b][quote]DAMN!! I just bought my wife a Creative mp3 cos the iPod didnt have a fm radio. I so would have bought an iPod instead.... :(Natanskywalker - the quality is excellent and it also has built in recording - i.e. I can record a song from the radio and play it back similarly to a mp3 track (after editing etc).[/quote]The main feature is FM broadcasting not FM reception. I'm not sure if the ability to tune to FM radio would be part of the package. So if you were looking to be able to listen to FM radio you probably still made the right choice.With FM broadcasting you set the device to send out its audio signal on a certain FM band, then you tune a device capable of receiving an FM signal to that band and you hear the music from your ipod. So you'd set your ipod to 90.6 FM, your radio to 90.6 FM and hit play on your ipod, and you hear it on your radio.
sngx1275 said:
While this is a nice feature to add, it is kind of a kick in the nuts to Belkin. I still want to see the iPod come with a way to wirelessly communicate with my computer, either through bluetooth or a wifi signal, with wifi you might even be able to intergrate web browsing.I expect what I said in above statement I predict will be in the 7th gen iPods.
MonkeyMan said:
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you've got to love this new Ipod radio technology. NO more wires!!!!!! this is great, I know I love listening to music in my car, more than anything else, so I am definately going to purchase one of these.
Cartz said:
Yes, this is what we need, another distraction for people while they're driving. Why not have the next generation of an iPod have a cellphone in it too? Why not make it a compact so that the ladies can fix their makeup while they drive to work as well?Seriously, make an adapter that plugs it into the vehicle so that the music can be accessed through the console controls, so the drivers eyes stay somewhat close to the road.One of my roommates is currently conducting a study on driver distractability at a driving simulator in a lab on my university campus. He's found that not only do cellphones seriously distract the driver while dialing a number, but their reaction time is drastically reduced while talking.Now not only will we have people doing that, but now they will be looking down every 5-10 minutes to change the tunes on their iPod. Or to switch the radio station because they're getting too much interference.Add on a GPS navigation system, and a couple screaming kids in the backseat, and I figure the likelyhood of getting anywhere in a vehicle will be < 50%.Overdramatic maybe, but seriously, we don't need ANOTHER distraction for drivers, most are bad enough as it is. I've already been rearended in two accidents because some dipwad was talking on a cellphone and didn't see me slowing for a turn.
sngx1275 said:
[b]Originally posted by Cartz:[/b][quote]Seriously, make an adapter that plugs it into the vehicle so that the music can be accessed through the console controls, so the drivers eyes stay somewhat close to the road.[/quote]They do, my Pioneer will do that, problem is I need another EXPENSIVE link to link them, and I'd have to remove the stereo to connect it.
Cartz said:
dr_roman said:
As a disspleased owner of an IPOD, I have yet to understand how it has become such a hit. It has a mind of its own, itunes is anything but logical, every little add on part costs a lot of money & now it'll be integrated into car stereos. German cars come with a built in adapter / holder for ipod mini/nano. The quality of direct link has been proven to be better then anything else out there. Why bother then ? The FM technology may be cheap, but an IPOD who has it build in will be anything but cheap. In general...it has no meaning. They could have done it already 2 generations ago. Doing it now only means they have nothing new to add.
mentaljedi said:
[b]Originally posted by Cartz:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by sngx1275:[/b][quote]They do, my Pioneer will do that, problem is I need another EXPENSIVE link to link them, and I'd have to remove the stereo to connect it.[/quote]Yes, but, the alternative is fumbling with your iPod while you're driving 120km/h on a major highway, a mere few meters away from other cars, also travelling 120km/h, also possibly fumbling with their iPods.I'm sorry, I'm jaded on this subject due to the fact that I have now been hit twice by drivers who were messing around with their cellphones when they should have had their eyes on the road. I thank god that it was me they hit, and not some child running across the street chasing their ball.Distractions in the car are very dangerous, my roomates study has taught me this. The stereo is a big enough distraction on its own. Don't get me wrong, if someone wants to set their pod to play a playlist, and don't touch it while they're driving, more power to them, thats fairly safe. But for every one person that plays it safe, there's going to be five ****** who feel it neccessary to search out a new song after every track. And with my luck, they're going to plow into me, again....[/quote]I do see your point, but the ****** that decide to look down and change their station/song pretty much deserve crashing because of their sheer stupidity. Seriouly! What ***** would pick up their mobile phone or ipod while on the motorway? (Unless your on the M25 in the UK where the top speed is 5mph)