Microsoft works on interactive ads in video

By Derek Sooman on January 14, 2006, 12:08 PM
Microsoft is developing technology that will allow consumers to click on cars, clothing or other products that appear in online movies or TV shows.

For example, viewers of "Sex and the City" could click on Carrie Bradshaw's designer shoes or Kamali sweaters as she walks down a New York street and immediately be transported to advertisements for those products.
The idea is for consumers to be able to actually interact with ads in video. A breakthrough in this technology could enable Microsoft to catch up and overtake Google and Yahoo in the online advertising market.

"We are determined to establish Microsoft as the top leader in this space," said adCenter general manager Tarek Najm.

otmakus said:
Looks like Microsoft has found yet another way to make more money, although I can't see why we would actually click on a movie we're watching to get annoying ad pops up on our screen, blocking the movie.
asphix said:
My initial reaction is that I really dont like the idea of this. But that is probably due to my annoyance at current TV ads and the animated "coming next" adverts that pop up and annoy me.However, this may be a good thing. If it is completely stealthy with nothing poping up and distracting the viewer, it could be cool and would hopefully incorporate ads in a better more non distracting way.Thats thinking positively though. I'm still disturbed by the whole idea of the evolution of ads.
MonkeyMan said:
Wow, Microsoft is becoming a monster!!!!!!!! this would be a great solution to unwanted ads popping up on your screen. Let the user click the ad, instead of Automatically doing it.
Cy6erpuke said:
Great idea. Does this mean no more interruptions? Hope so. Agree with asphix, if you're not interested, it should not be visible...
exscind said:
This would be great for people who have a high fashion sense. I'm not among the crowd, but I can see screaming loud girls watch a movie, get sucked in by the advertising propaganda, and wish to know where that brand of can be bought at. For the others, it wouldn't be a problem as long as they don't click on the screen itself.As for transporting all advertisements to this interactive method, I doubt it. This type of ad is an optional source of advertisement. "Mandatory" ads and pop-ups aren't going away because one doesn't have the choice of avoiding them. Pop-ups maybe, with a good pop-up blocker. But "unobtrusive" (very loosely term) ads like Google's are still going to be there, and thus still make a better advertising agent for the markets.
zachig said:
WOW. That's a brilliant idea. I really hope that this way the 'regular' ads will go away so that only one that's interested in viewing the ads will actually view them. I just hope that it won't appear on screen exactly when you don't want it to appear and then you'll be searching all over the screen just for the "X" that closes it. :-)
gamingmage said:
This idea is just another scam to get money, I mean who would want to click on something during a video I mean really. It is however very creative and I'll be suprised if they actually go through with it.
Kaleid said:
syncrod said:
"Interactive Spam on the rise"looks like a good news headline :o
asphix said:
[b]Originally posted by Kaleid:[/b][quote]This is what this news says to me: Thou shalt N-E-V-E-R escape commercials. In Futurama Fry has commercials as dreams, we're not too far away from that. Sigh.[/quote]LOL! Thats it! The next get rich quick scheme! Design a device that will intercept commercial brainwaves received during REM sleep! I'll be rich!In all seriousness.. that would be scary indeed.. but I doubt anything like that would ever pass as it would be extremely intrusive and at least in the USA is a breach of privacy... unless you signed something saying you wanted it (for a monthly check or the right to live in a high class area.. etc etc.. there are ways it can be passed :( )
PUTALE said:
exscind said:
[b]Originally posted by PUTALE:[/b][quote]mmh, sounds interesting. I am sure some people would hate because it's MS but I think it may bring a new form of advertisement, as it's now pretty much need a big overhaul to lure more buyer.[/quote]Perhaps, but I can also see hackers or spam compan... er I mean advertising companies manually override whatever "secure" and "safe" preventative measures on this interactive ads method. I'm not opposed to the idea, but I don't trust Microsoft to make it safe enough so users who don't want these interactive ads can safely watch movies/shows without getting auto-spammed. The last thing I need is to watch a movie and have 20 pop-ups filling up my monitor without me doing anything.
KillerPrince said:
i think that's stupid they shouldn't take our money all over again. first it was an os, then games,.........and other stuff, and now this
cyrax said:
THis sounds like a gimmick that will fast. Real fast. The last thing i want to do is be watching lord of the rings and see where aragon got his wig. This sounds like a total waste.
nathanskywalker said:
wahoo, everyone knows we need more ads...
smtkr said:
Watching Austin Powers: One Swedish made penis enlarger...click click
vigilante said:
HAJust when you thought you couldn't handle another ad. They think of subliminal interactive ads to catch our attention.Who are the dumb butts that click on ads anyway, to make this stuff profitable? If you want designer shoes, GO to a designer shoes store, or web site.I'm so sick of ads everyplace, I have NEVER ONCE bought anything by clicking an ad for something. If I need something, I go and shop for it.But hey, the 1% of ignorant people who click on every ad they see, are what keeps the advertisers in business.Of course you know this means now adverts will be paying buku bucks to have the actors actually WEAR their stuff. It'll be like The Truman Show, you know when some actor is in the kitchen sipping tea, their will be an extended shot with the tea maker's product clearly visible for a few seconds.What a pain... shows will start looking more like commercials and less like a show.
bbdude said:
This is kind of strange in my opinion, and if it lifts off the ground it will have mixed opinons.
Race said:
Microsoft is merely evolving, diversifying, and competing in todays environment. I like the idea.No one's forcing you to do anything, but if you see something really cool in the video, whatever it may be, you can check it out.This is another reason why I love technology.....and the more cutting edge, the better!
Vaerilis said:
As far as I know, you can't "click" on ads when watching TV, and they will need a new video format (and new player software) to implement this on computers. I guess they'll go with some cheesy DRM-protected file that plays only in Microsoft's new ad-friendly player. However, I like the idea that for once, a company is not trying to shove ads down our throats. You can either click or not click.
2old said:
I also think this is a good thing. I dont know if it will drive down the amount of regular commercials but I would not crticise any form of passive advertising considering the alternatives.And the fact that it is Microsoft just means it wont work too well and will create security holes and a smaller more nimble company will create an alternative which will be far better.
ThomasNews said:
I wonder how video ads would work, I mean, in most cases the camera will be in motion, switching angles, etc.
rahuls said:
Great step in this Ad Mad World
fiziks said:
so then... what? basically the consumer will need to purchase a new television just to use this ad service? I'm not quite understanding what they are doing here...
fiziks said:
...and are these advertised items going to be referred to in the programming then?
barfarf said:
Actually i dont mind this. Frankly i hate comercials. You have no choice in getting them. I dont watch any TV live because of them. Sometimes I record and fast forward which i still hate doing. Mostly i just wait for the DVD version at the library to come out or download the tv show online. I hate comercial that much.What MS is doing it at least a choice. Sometimes when I watch my sci-fi shows i thought it would be cool to own one of the props on the set. One in a while i like to get a shirt or other garment i see someone wearing on TV. It would be cool to click on the item then knowing the product name i shall go do a froogle search.Choice comercial/ad are better then being forced.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
I hope it won't be like on too many DVDs, forcing people to watch all kinds of copyright and piracy notifications by disabling the controls during the time the text scrolls slowly in multiple languages.
mentaljedi said:
[b]Originally posted by exscind:[/b][quote]This would be great for people who have a high fashion sense. I'm not among the crowd, but I can see screaming loud girls watch a movie, get sucked in by the advertising propaganda, and wish to know where that brand of can be bought at. For the others, it wouldn't be a problem as long as they don't click on the screen itself. [/quote]LOl. This is an interesting technology but i don't see it becoming widly used. It will probably be just a pain.