Microsoft changes the name of the Vista Successor

By Justin Mann on January 20, 2006, 2:41 PM
Before Vista has even reached a public beta phase, Microsoft is already looking for its future replacement. Codenamed “Vienna”, Microsoft is offering precious little details on what the OS will tout or when it would be released. Why the name change? Just to make people feel better, apparently.

"It's just a morale thing," Cherry said. "The other names have been kicking around so long. It's much more about trying to keep focused and keep some excitement around where they are going."
For users' sake let's hope this doesn't have an impact on Vista, though it's no new thing for large companies to be thinking that far into the future.

DragonMaster said:
Sigh...From all the things we heard about Vista, they still seem to be planning it, but they already plan an other OS also?!?Where is Microsoft going? ...
Vaulden said:
"though it's no new thing for large companies to be thinking that far into the future."No wonder companies can't get their current software to work properly half the time. The software isn’t even available to the public and they are looking at the next installment.Probably not a fair statement, as it is most likely two separate groups working on the different OSs. It still seems wrong to be formulating a newer and better version before knowing what works and what doesn't of system that has not yet been tested. Then again maybe the name is all they have and they are waiting on results from Vista before moving forward?
Eleventeen said:
Planning for the next OS even when the one before that isn't even released? I don't know, I think Microsoft should atleast get all the Vista bugs and what not fixed first. It just seems too far into the future to be planning for that already. I know it's just a name, it's just the rate Microsoft seems to want to expand that worries me.
vigilante said:
This is not uncommon for MS.Think about the fact that some of Vista's features have been in development for 7 years plus. And I think even some of the features of XP were in development even with 95 was current! Things like FAT32 and NTFS.So while this isn't unusual, it does leave a bad taste in your mouth thinking about it. But still, just like the past, we'll see 2 or 3 or more service packs to Vista before the new one hits the shelves. I wouldn't worry to much about it.
exscind said:
The news about Vienna (aka Blackcomb), who will be the next OS after Vista, is probably made as a precaution for when Windows Vista arrives and everyone gets stuck in a quagmire of bugs and flaws. "Well Vista isn't that great... but hey, at least we got Vienna in the works!" As well, this could be a ploy to keep Windows Vista circulated in the headlines and silently hyping it up. I've stopped tracking Windows' codenames until it releases a final product; just too many names to keep up.
mentaljedi said:
i think that vista will be an in and out like 2000 was.
Need_a_Dell said:
Perhaps Vista is the home edition of the new Windows, and Vienna will act as the Pro version. Just an idea.
paulwuzhere said:
tisk tisk microsoft... please get your act together and come out with a good OS. please? We only need one. lol. come on. XP is old now. And hopefully Vista will work good.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
Why would they do a working OS? Who would buy the next one then?
PanicX said:
If you think about the timeline when Microsoft releases OS's, 95, 98, NT, Me, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista (I'm not positive on the exact release order and theres many more not listed here) you'll notice theres about 1 to 3 years between OS releases. Most of these OS's take twice that amount of time to build and test. So it makes sense that not only is the next NT version (Vienna) in the works, but its been in the works for a while now. The version after Vienna is also about to start soon if it hasn't already.[b]Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli:[/b][quote] Why would they do a working OS? Who would buy the next one then?[/quote]Funny, but I remember DOS 6.22 working just fine.
PUTALE said:
hehehe, Vienna, it's a nicer name than Vista in my opinion:) Is it just me or that MS is getting less inventive with their name.
spike said:
It's an insult to a beautiful and cultured city. :p
DragonMaster said:
[quote] If you think about the timeline when Microsoft releases OS's, 95, 98, NT, Me, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista (I'm not positive on the exact release order and theres many more not listed here)[/quote]1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, 95, NT, 98, 98SE, 2000, Me, XP, 2003, Vista.Yes, Me was released after 2000 but support ended in 2003 (Paid in 2006) but Win2k in 2010. M$ seems to like supporting their non-NT OSes(The real OSes, that had not everything "virtual").
asphix said:
Its already known Vista isnt everything Microsoft wanted it to be. They're behind development schedule and need to get a new product out.. so they're workign with what they have. I believe they originally intended it to have the new WinFS (i think thats what it was.. thinking off the topof my head right now) file system.. but due to time constraints they stuck with NTFS for now..Instead of rolling out winFS in a major service pack.. they will probably start working on it now to get it out in the next OS release.. which makes sense.. having to reformat your whole computer or do a full fledged upgrade for a service pack isnt practical.
Kaleid said:
MS are complete dominating the OS sales for the x86 market so of course there will be new windows after Vista, you gotta keep the shareholders happy after all :)I shiver at the tought of how much resources (CPU, RAM) Vista will use up. Directx 10 which will come with it will most likely not come to earlier OSs, forcing gamers to move on.
PUTALE said:
well, we all know that it's part of the reason that all the hardware makers are so exicted about vista, so people can upgrade thier system.
otmakus said:
Don't forget that the name "Vista" was relatively new for us. It's "Longhorn" before. MS keeps changing their products codenames, I suspect in order to make us consumers aware of their products. I'm very sure this "Vienna" will be released eventually using another code name, one day in future, and we can discuss it again in Techspot from our home in the human colony on the moon.
mav451 said:
Lol isn't this by definition "forward-thinking"? And the funny part is everyone still reads up on this kind of news, even if its meaningless for us to know or care about.
nathanskywalker said:
tadaa!!![url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna[/url]oky, that has nothing to do with anything. ANd personally:[quote] Lol isn't this by definition "forward-thinking"?And the funny part is everyone still reads up on this kind of news, even if its meaningless for us to know or care about.[/quote]you mean you don't care???? ok whatever, persanolly i like to know what microsoft is up to. And i think they just might be getting a little bit ahead of themselfes, though, of course i am not a corporate boss....
mav451 said:
Well I say its meaningless b/c Vista itself is still several months (correct me if I'm wrong) from release, and MS is releasing PR statements talking about the version AFTER this.Why don't they release it, patch it/fix it like they always do, after SP1 and SP2, then they should be talking about the name for its successor. We don't even have anything in our hands and they're already talking about the next one.
crossfire851 said:
Well dont be EXPECTING this to come out soon but, hopefully before(if not in) 2007 Q2. Also I hope that M$ will come out with an OS every year, and on time.
vigilante said:
mentaljedi said:
[b]Originally posted by vigilante:[/b][quote]I thought Vista was hitting shelves Q4 '06. But I guess that won't happen. They were originally going to release it without the new IE and WinFS file system.WinFS will also be available for XP users. Likely when SP3 comes out for XP.I am scared of Vista, have you read some of the system requirements of it? Just to run the new visual interface? Ya, about the same requirements of BF2, lol. I don't get why they want Windows to look so dang nice, it's the PROGRAMS we use that should look nice, such as games, lol. How good can a game play if Windows is fighting for the same amount of resources?I think when Vista hits shelves, we'll have the same upgrade nightmare we had when XP came. People trying to upgrade their 2 year old+ boxes, will have major problems. When Vista comes out, I say, if you can't get it on a brand new machine, don't bother upgrading. Or else, wait a year.The biggest thing I'm waiting for, is the 64bit edition. Hopefully that will enable some serious work to be done.[/quote]You know, i think my 5 year old Dell 8100 has no chance for Vista so i don't reallly carea baout it. All i want is that SP3 but that's in 2007! How annoying is that?
Delta said:
I agree. This is a bit fishy and microsoft seem's they're not planning vista for quit a long time (Bet Vista lifespan would be shorter than XP). Even though somehow I don't expect many Service Packs for vista, ax this vienna will then take over.
MonkeyMan said:
Wow, this is one long post lol. I think its a great idea that Microsoft is thinking towards the future. More time for the release, means that it will only be better once it is released. I don't think it will hurt Windows Vista, but saying that another operating system will be released even before Vista is released, does defame its character somewhat. Lets just hope that this won't be the situation.Windows POWAAA!!!!!!!!!
Kreuger said:
They definately need to finish a SOLID OS before they start thinking about the next one.
otmakus said:
Win XP SP3 release date is scheduled for second half of 2007, at least half a year after Vista is scheduled to launch. My prediction is that SP3 will be more welcomed than Vista. I don't see any real life 64 bit applications yet, although Win XP 64 bit has been around for quite some time. And nobody would buy a new OS for a premium price (I'm VERY sure Vista will be sold at a premium price) and have to upgrade their PC because the new OS LOOKS GOOD.
jassim said:
I think that Microsoft should think about it's present OSes and their bugs and stuff like that.Windows Vista isn't even so much popular and widespread yet and they think about the next one.I just want SP3 for XP but that's ONLY until 2007 and who knows, Vienna might be released before it (I may be wrong, who knows?).In any case though, I just want to know where they (Microsoft) got a name like Vienna for an OS!!
Race said:
[b]Originally posted by mentaljedi:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by vigilante:[/b][quote]I am scared of Vista, have you read some of the system requirements of it? Just to run the new visual interface? Ya, about the same requirements of BF2, lol. [/quote]You know, i think my 5 year old Dell 8100 has no chance for Vista so i don't reallly carea baout it. All i want is that SP3 but that's in 2007! How annoying is that?[/quote]mentaljedi..........just curious...what are the specs on your 8100?
gamingmage said:
Microsoft I think has trouble in making up its mind. So expect many more changes in the future.
cyrax said:
Its one thing to want to be snazzy. Its another to try to be cool when you realize everybody scratching their heads to wonder if youre insane. "longhorn, vista,Vienna (good grief, i hope there are not referring to the sausages)?" My point? Microsoft, try to make more effecient operating systems, not try to daydream names which only make laughter the obvious reaction.[Edited by cyrax on 2006-01-21 23:36:08]
luvhuffer said:
AH HA HA HA HA! They keep changing the name so that the final version will be an unpatched name.
AeonXX said:
I wonder if Microsoft even knows what “Vienna” will feature, they’re probably just worried about not making enough money from Vista. I was not at all impressed with what I saw of Vista, and have decided that I would not upgrade unless the PC games require it. Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Professional 64-bit Edition are good operating systems, and I really don’t see the need for the average consumer to upgrade to Vista. It’s strange that Microsoft would name an operating system Vienna, it just makes me think of those canned sausages. Vienna’s also the capital of Austria, the country where Arnold Schwarzenegger was born.