GTA game maker sued over sex scenes

By Derek Sooman on January 30, 2006, 2:41 PM
Itís been a while since the Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas "Hot Coffee" story emerged, where it was revealed that the game contained an embedded game that featured sex scenes (how exciting!). We knew it was only a matter of time before the sorry tale made the news again, and sure enough it has: the city of Los Angeles is suing the makers of the video game for deceptive business practices and making false statements in marketing the game, for its failure to reveal the extent of its sexual content. This is all likely to get somewhere, what with the backing of Senator Hillary Clinton and many other important political figures, who view the game as being something akin to the work of the devil.

The US gaming industry has since changed the game's rating from "Mature 17+" to "Adults Only 18+" and several supermarkets have removed it from their shelves. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas has been re-released without the explicit sex, but the Los Angeles authorities want the company to surrender the profits from an estimated 200,000 copies of the game sold under the old, less restrictive rating, and is also demanding a $2,500 fine for any false statements made by company officials about the game in the past.




User Comments: 15

Got something to say? Post a comment
mastronaut said:
Got to check e-bay to see if I can get a copy with the sex scene, it'll be worth something someday. Oh, and by the way I hope Hillary runs for President, I'd like to see the mud slinging fest.
MonkeyMan said:
I have the game, and I have seen it. I will not comment on it, but it is very explicit. GTA San Andreas is the most controversial game ever released, and it will go down in gaming history as so. It is also the best game I've ever played. Now I just can't wait until the series hits the PS3 OMW!!!!!!!! it is going to be awesome!!!
Need_a_Dell said:
Yeah, I've seen the scene...It's quite perverse. What the government is doing is the right thing. Rockstar did indeed falsely adverstise the games true rating. If you ask me, I think Rockstar is getting off easy. They lose the profit of 200,000 copies sold and they have to bump the rating up one notch. To tell you the truth, they should just ban future GTA games. The games have become pretty stale for my taste, and they should have stopped the GTA series after 3. (Which was the best one by far!) Besides, the GTA formula has been way overdone in so many other games that it should be old to everybody else now too! Now they should stick to Midnight Club and retire the GTA thugs behind bars...of the vault.
nathanskywalker said:
[quote]Yeah, I've seen the scene...It's quite perverse. What the government is doing is the right thing. Rockstar did indeed falsely adverstise the games true rating. If you ask me, I think Rockstar is getting off easy. They lose the profit of 200,000 copies sold and they have to bump the rating up one notch. To tell you the truth, they should just ban future GTA games. The games have become pretty stale for my taste, and they should have stopped the GTA series after 3. (Which was the best one by far!) Besides, the GTA formula has been way overdone in so many other games that it should be old to everybody else now too! Now they should stick to Midnight Club and retire the GTA thugs behind bars...of the vault.[/quote]Dude, i'm with you all the way. GTA is unhealthy, permits pointless violence and permicous sex, blah blah and blah. It should be compeltely banned, and the creators sued. there is nothing whatsoever of any moral worth in that game, and is a complete waste of time for makers, and the gamers. Sued? not far enough, i agree. Behind bars? i'll help you. NOt to mention that just because someone "of age" buys the game, does not mean he won't allow "under age" children to play the game. And again, the game is a terrible waste of time, brain power, and already stricken conciense....hmm....that probably just cost me any chance of winning the last vid card....oh well.
gamingmage said:
Hey if you guys are with GTA then you might as well be with people against games such as CS:S, F.E.A.R. and Doom 3, in my opinion they're just as bad(I still play them though). I think that game makers have a right to put whatever they want in games as long as they put the proper rating, besides whats one year in age? I mean sure Rockstar made a mistake but don't we all? I mean look at Google they just made a mistake. People like Hilary Clinton should be more worried about t.v., including such things as the Carl's Jr. commercial. Kids these days are surrounded by things such as sex, violence, and drug reference. If you guys just want to blame Rockstar because they're an easy target go right ahead, just remember everything else "bad" in the world of entertainment and communication.
gamingmage said:
In the most polite respect that is, sorry if I offended anyone. I was just stating my own opinion.One more thing... I hope that everyone had a happy Chinese New Year (i'm not asian though) just saying.[Edited by gamingmage on 2006-01-30 20:08:00]
Kaleid said:
Wow, let's not go over the top here. While the game series is something that I haven't played a lot and it can be considered somewhat mindless and all too violent it's still just a game, a fantasy product which people can clearly separete from reality. Some of us are studying and/or having stressfull lives so games like these can be a good and perfect escape from reality once in a while. It doesn't have to be something that is of intellectual stimulation to do that job, infact it's a good thing for some of us that it always ain't. It's for the very same reason people turn on the tv when they get home, it's relaxing, entertaining and a perfect way to get away from it all.Alcohol and drug abuse are much worse escapes from reality, yet no one talks about banning those. Why is that? One man's treasure is another man's trash perhaps?The bible is pretty darn violent too, why has no one tried ban that?IMO most of it's vote and money fishing, nothing else.
gamingmage said:
[b]Originally posted by Kaleid:[/b][quote]Wow, let's not go over the top here. While the game series is something that I haven't played a lot and it can be considered somewhat mindless and all too violent it's still just a game, a fantasy product which people can clearly separete from reality. Some of us are studying and/or having stressfull lives so games like these can be a good and perfect escape from reality once in a while. It doesn't have to be something that is of intellectual stimulation to do that job, infact it's a good thing for some of us that it always ain't. It's for the very same reason people turn on the tv when they get home, it's relaxing, entertaining and a perfect way to get away from it all.Alcohol and drug abuse are much worse escapes from reality, yet no one talks about banning those. Why is that? One man's treasure is another man's trash perhaps?The bible is pretty darn violent too, why has no one tried ban that?IMO most of it's vote and money fishing, nothing else.[/quote]Very, very, very, good point. Pointing out the countless accepted forms of violence in society. Also right on the point that it is just a game, I mean seriously everybody is not going to go out and commit murder or do drugs just because of a game. Again I am not trying to offend anyone, I know that this is a sensitive issue to some of you.
otmakus said:
Don't forget that Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold did the Columbine massacre because of too much Doom (supposedly). All I want to say is that too much of a good thing can be bad...
Phantasm66 said:
Computer games are about escapism. There's nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want (I've lost almost all interest in games...)But potentially exposing youngsters to explicit sex scenes just to sell more copies of a game is pretty lame. I believe they should pay, but the company does not deserve to collapse from the inside.
Kaleid said:
[quote]Don't forget that Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold did the Columbine massacre because of too much Doom (supposedly). All I want to say is that too much of a good thing can be bad...[/quote]Sure it can be bad, but to try to almost exclusively place the blame on a GAME is you know...wicked. One way or another these people will find their fix, violence has a much older history than videogames.
Phantasm66 said:
[b]Originally posted by Kaleid:[/b][quote]violence has a much older history than videogames.[/quote]indeed.
buttus said:
What I personally find insulting is...everyone is so "upset" about the sex in the game...But hey, blowing away hookers, drug dealers, and being a gansta yourself is fine.Anyone else see something wrong with this picture?I don't think this game was marketed towards Christian fundamentalists. I mean, come on...are the people that play and enjoy this game really so innocent and naive to be so offended by the sexual content?It just goes to show that...TV, movies, heck, MUSIC, can show all the gory and gruesome violence that it wants....but show a boob and WHOA...you've gone TOO far.Get a grip.Next thing you know, Rockstar will be sued that their game caused some horny 16 year old boy to have sex.GASP!!!!Oh wait...they are...or at least are accusing the makers of Need For Speed of causing a teenager to speed and get into a car accident.Not that teenage boys speed...or get into accidents.Jeez....when are people going to accept responsibility for their own actions instead of finding someone to blame AND sue?As a kid I saw Bullit. I didn't start driving recklessly.I saw Star Wars and didn't start taking swords to everyone on the street.I saw Rambo and didn't start blowing away strangers.Holy Cow. Get real, stop suing and grow up!!!
Kaleid said:
LOLImagine typical soccer mom going back with the game to the shop."I want to bring back this game""Why?""Because I only approve the violence, but not the f-f-filthy sex"Wonder when someone will try to sue Valve because someone made a nude skin for Alyx.
mentaljedi said:
Oh come on! This is the most pathetic thing i've ever heard! Kids will proabably be MORE inclind to buy the game with a higher rating. Look at Halo! Its so famous and so good but you don't see me trying to get in planes and hit the people on the ground or run them over in jeeps. I love GTA, that doesn't mean i hit old ladies with baseball bats! I love star wars, doesn't mean that i go to a temple (Jedi) and massacre children over someone i love! Most of this violence isn't even from video games! What about rapstars who promote haivng sex as being cool? What about the people who say that being shot is cool? What about everything that acutally has to do with violence! Violence has always been with us and it will alwasy will be! Just accept it and sue somebody who deserves to be sued! ALl these stupid religious beliefs will bring down society! Live for the future and not the past! Religion can be taken as two things: someting to learn from, to judge right from wrong from, and to help live in peace. Or: To let it rule over you and go around flying palnes into buildings or leading crusades and burning witches! I know which way i interprate it but how do you? And THAT is the question!
Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.