Sony Ericsson confirms features of new P990

By Derek Sooman on February 6, 2006, 3:17 PM
Sony Ericsson has been confirming the launch of its P990 handset. The new P990 will feature a 2 megapixel camera, business card scanner, support for email clients including Blackberry Connect and Seven, Microsoft ActiveSync support and much more.

The P990 will be the first commercially available smartphone to adopt the enhanced Symbian OS version 9.1 and UIQ 3 software platform and because of this Sony Ericsson want to give developers plenty of time before the phone launches early next year.
The P990 will be capable of video calling, high-bandwidth multi-media downloads and the ability to surf the Net. It also features a 2.8 inch QVGA 262k touch screen, 80Mb of user free memory and a 64MB Memory Stick PRO Duo card.

buttus said:
WOW.Honestly, what is missing from this handset? I think they covered all the basis. High res camera, video conferancing, business card scanner (fantastic idea for those of us that are road warriers that end up with a million business cards), expandable memory, active sync and (I am assuming) MP3 playback.The res of the screen is impressive as well. Anyone have an idea as to a pricetag?
nathanskywalker said:
Well, i'm not going to even try...nvm i am....that is crazy cool! I would almost buy one just because it looks so cool, almost though, just almost. 3g wireless? Notebooks just aquired that less than a month ago!!! Touch screen? that would be helpful beyond words! 2megapixel camera? That just tops it off now doesn't it?
cookiedude said:
Specs are good but they could have gone a bit higher on the camera quality, especially as nokia are planning to launch phones with 4 megapixel cameras in the very near future!64 meg memory stick's a bit tight too!!
need_a_dell said:
This phone sounds amazing! It's more like a swiss army knofe than a phone! The 2 megapixel camera sounds pretty sexy, and I like the sounds of the business card scanner. (Will it be able to make calls?) This phone sounds exceptional and I hope it does well out on the market.
Race said:
It's awesome to see technological advancements in cell phones happening like they are....and yes...this is a very cool phone, but once again, a tease as far as I'm concerned.As I mentioned in an earlier post concerning so many cool phones that never make it to the States.....this phone will not be available in the U.S. in the foreseeable future, if at all.We can only hope that a reasonable facsimile from Sony Ericsson or one of the other major cell phone makers becomes available here in a reasonable amount of time following the release of the P990.
barfarf said:
Is really a live video cell phone and it works well? That would be amazing. A part of misses one of those palm/cell phone breeds like that of the treo 650 but this sounds cool too. I remember hearing about video phones back int he 60s. hahahahah
panikfan said:
This phone will work in the USA if your provider uses a sim card (t mobile, cingular). I currently use a W800 with tmobile and it couldn't have been easier to setup... I just want to know 2 things: How much longer do I have to wait and how much is it going to cost me. BTW, I'll have a W800i for sale the day they release the P990 (~);}