Introducing TechSpot's Windows Startup List

By on February 11, 2007, 7:50 PM
In order to keep your Windows PC running as smoothly as possible, it's important to know what programs are running at startup, sometimes even without your knowledge. It is not unusual that startup programs have cryptic names and it is not clear whether they are necessary or malicious. The goal of this database is to help you find more information about these programs, and give you a better understanding if it is safe to remove them or not.

Program Classifications in a Nutshell
Program may be necessary Program is not necessary Up to the user Unknown Dangerous. Remove.

Since we are just launching this database, errors and bugs are possible, so please let us know if you come across any kind of problem.

We certainly hope you find this information useful.

DragonMaster said:
Nice! The startup list in Spybot S&D in Advanced mode is showing up a lot more entries than msconfig by the way, and it's allowing to enable, disable, add, remove them.
howard_hopkinso said:
What an excellent list Julio.Members need to be aware, that if they spot something dangerous on their system, it`s not necessarily a good idea to just try and delete it, as depending what the infection is, will also dictate a particular way to get rid of it.I therefore encourage anyone who finds any dangerous files on their computer to read this thread [url]http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic58138.html[/url] and follow the instructions exactly.Regards Howard.
canadian said:
Lists like these, while useful for many, are going to be a thing of the past soon since Vista comes with Windows Defender. (It has a nice tool for managing startup programs, with suggestions and info on it)
gbe300 said:
canadian said:
[b]Originally posted by gbe300:[/b][quote]I think I would trust lists like these to have better, more up to date info and most importantly unbaised info, then the lists Microsoft would publish :) [/quote]Well, its done by the Spy Net community. Most of the info they get is from users.
Grodesh said:
[b]Originally posted by gbe300:[/b][quote]I think I would trust lists like these to have better, more up to date info and most importantly unbaised info, then the lists Microsoft would publish :) [/quote]While I would normally agree with you, I have some huge doubts regarding this list. I know I have a perfectly clean system, freshly installed with only a few drivers installed (those drivers come directly from the manufacturer's website). Yet, I see that CTHelper.exe (http://www.techspot.com/startup/1694) and Setpoint.exe (http://www.techspot.com/startup/7639) are dangerous (when they come straight from Creative and Logitech and they appeared right after I installed the drivers) so I cannot help but wonder where those informations come from.
Julio said:
Grodesh, I completely understand your concern and I have to agree with you in that those executable filenames are usually tied to legitimate programs. Our DB is currently based completely on Pac's startup list which is one of the most complete out there at the moment (not to mention free to use).Apparently there is a bug in our current results, so I will be discussing this with our developer real soon.Thanks for your feedback!
Julio said:
Here's an example of the full data we should be showing for CTHelper.exe: [url]http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?filter=cthelp[/u
l]We will try to have this fixed ASAP.
ingeborgdot said:
Where do I go to get this? Thanks.
wizegoi said:
Okay, i see the article, but Where do i find the list??????
boombox said:
In my "startup item," there is "ctfmon." Next to that, under "command line," it states "C:WINDOWSsystem32ctfmon.exe." Next to that under "location" is "HKCUSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRun." Your database shows that startup name ctfmon and process name ctfmon.exe are dangerous and needs to be removed. I googled "what is ctfmon" and it brought me to this link [url]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599[/url]I have McAfee Virusscan Pro 2006 with up to date virus definitions and have ran a full scan of my PC today and there was no indication of a virus. I ran spybot and it showed nothing. I also ran my firewall Zonealarm anti-spyware scan and nothing there too. Do I have anything to worry about given all the scans I have performed on my PC which showed no problem on my PC?