Hitachi begins shipping 1TB desktop hard drive

By Justin Mann on April 6, 2007, 10:24 AM
It wasn't too long ago that Hitachi announced their intentions to release a 1TB desktop HDD this year. Well, that time has come to pass and they are now shipping the drive. Composed of 4 250GB platters and with a 32MB cache, the drive is currently available as SATA only but will likely come to PATA as well. The drive comes at a premium, with estimated prices in the U.S. being around $400, but that will likely quickly drop once other manufacturers begin to follow suit. This definitely does give Hitachi a leg up, with 750GB being tops until now.

It was just about 12 years ago when 1GB was first reached on the desktop, making this drive a 1000-fold improvement in just over a decade. While the cost of the drive is high, the cost per gigabyte is still obscenely low compared to just a few years ago and it seems it will continue to do such. Now if only flash could compare in terms of raw storage capacity.

TD_Baker said:
That is awesome! I can't wait till prices drop. I wonder how long till they come out with a 100TB Drives..
nathanskywalker said:
Hah, I'm still good with my 300g Seagate. Of course I don't keep many movies on my desktop, or music.
Coth said:
1TB? Who needs this? I have 5 games I play and my 160GB is fine for that. If I need more storage then I will get an external HDD.
Julio said:
phantasm66 said:
PanicX said:
I just recently got my HDTV receiver installed and I'll be building a Myth TV box to DVR my shows. Do you have any idea how much space an HDTV broadcast takes to record? HDTV bitrate is around 20MB/sec if I recall correctly. Thats roughly 1.2GB for 10 minutes.Not to mention that I've got a hefty DVD collection that is not fairing well against my 2 toddlers. Having a repository to back them up to would require massive amounts of data storage.
nathanskywalker said:
[b]Originally posted by phantasm66:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by Julio:[/b][quote]One terabyte may sound like too much, but with increasing broadband speeds and programs and operating systems taking a larger amount of space, not to mention PCs being used as media centers, eventually there will exist a need for a larger crowd for these huge drives.In my case, a few years ago I bought a 10k RPM raptor with only 40gb of space for use as primary HDD, then another 160gb drive for storage. Three years later (now), I replaced the primary drive for a 150gb raptor, and running an external networked drive with 500gb of space. I probably don't use half of the space yet, but eventually will I can assure you that.[/quote]True. I have a 10MB connection now, and its surprising just how fast you can download media with that. And my ISP is talking about upgrading us to 20MB, with speeds of 50MB and even 100 coming.I'm finding I can't get enough disk space these days - I just build a 2TB RAID based system for storing movies and if 1TB disk had been available at the time I could have doubled the capacity.[/quote]True true. That is if you want to use your pc as a multimedia center; in that case, yes 1 ter isn't to much in the slightest. But for basic workstation, programing, etc....not that big of a deal. Even with all the Image files I have for Os's I've got plenty of room. And btw, not many of us have 20mb internet connections. Lol, I'm still running a 3mb line.