Weekend Open Forum: PC Game of the Year 2008 goes to...

By on December 6, 2008, 1:54 AM
It's been a rather interesting year for PC gaming. An industry that's been said to be dead year after year has just kept coming back stronger. In fact Id bet that if more publishers were as creative as Valve when they came up with the idea for an ber digital distribution client (that little monster commonly known as Steam), the present and future of PC gaming would have far less detractors.

Admittedly, we have a tendency of paying more attention to first person shooters here at TechSpot, but I still tried to come up with a broader list of the best games released for the PC platform this year. Please be forgiving about any missing choices and just comment on what's your favorite game for the year, no matter if it's included in the list below or not.

Among 2008's top titles we have: Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead, C&C: Red Alert 3, Dead Space, World of Goo, Far Cry 2, WoW: Wrath of the Lich King, Call of Duty: World at War, Crysis Warhead, Sins of a Solar Empire, Tomb Raider Underworld, Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization, Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight, Mass Effect, Sam & Max: Season Two, Soccer Manager 2008, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, The Witcher, Prince of Persia (2008), Spore, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky.

Pick your PC Game of the Year and a runner-up (and why?)
Discuss.

XQU2 said:
I think Age Of Conan should be on there even though it ended as a big dissapointment in the end.
skitzo_zac said:
My vote goes to The Witcher, I think it might actually be the only game released this year that I played, and if not its the only one that sticks in my memory, its an amazing game. Definately my choice for game of the year 2008.According to Wikipedia The Witcher was actually released in October 2007, meh, I only got it and played it this year. Still has my vote if it counts :p
Erik said:
WoW Wrath of the Lich KingFar Cry 2Call of Duty: World at WarThose are my top 3. 2009 definitely has a lot to live up to, 2008 was a great year for gamers.
captain828 said:
GTA IV for the PC, hands downSTALKER Clear Sky (once you get some mods + all patches)Why Clear Sky? because of the atmosphere, great graphics, great sounds (and soundtrack), terrific gameplay and an interesting story IMO, third place should go to Dead Space.
digikzes said:
I would give it to "World of Goo"Reasons :The other games listed are all developed as large budget games and where all popular tags yet World of Goo being a small game mearly looking like a flash game came out so successful, for a game of its kind to be as successful as it is,considering the competition, i would say hats off !!!
eafshar said:
1.fallout 3 (nice graphics, excellent story line... i finished it once.. and have found out how much i have missed.. will be playing it again and the fact that i can now take the game in a totally different direction is amazing)2.farcry 2 (very nice graphics, a good fps)The depth and the vastness of these two games were astonishing.
UglyChild said:
Crysis Warhead and Call of Duty: World at War. Both games are great and working right out of the box with out any issues.
MerlinFist said:
Spoiled for choice this year, it has been amazing year. My choice is going to be toughy. Far cry 2 has really blown me away so has Fallout 3, sins was good but really let it self down with the lack of story line, but huge battles and nice to see a hw2 clone being born again.Red alert 3, really nice to see a polished strategy game but seriously lacks guideance. I keep coming back to Far Cry 2, great graphics and sound and I can pick it up and just play any time and really enjoy it.
mrtraver said:
Kane's Wrath! It wins for me by default because it is the only new game I have bought for myself this year, but I have enjoyed it immensely.
momir said:
Well ,FAR CRY 2 is half good half bad,i got to 50% and got really bored,played every major fps of this year,and few minor and all i can say is that previous year was much more good for gamerz,MUCH,just remember all the games from last year,this year is all about sequels and prequels,but this time ill give my vote for FAR CRY 2,coz its all new!!Crysis warhead is mere an expansion to the last years best fps,World at war is a game with the same engine of that in cod4,same everything,which was too the major competitor of the last year...Clear sky is the same game as the first stalker with just more bugs and few different and 2-3 new locations,dont get me wrong these new sequels are some piece,but its allready seen last year and played over again,so definetly Far cry 2!!!!
9Nails said:
2008 was kind of a dud year after a thrilling 2007! The only game this year that I looked forward to was Spore. I know, the DRM controversy just about killed this game in the popularity contest. But as for titles that have their own look, feel, and are fun to play - I'd have to nominate Spore.
Nirkon said:
1. Prize defiantly goes to Mass Effect, not even a doubt about it for me.2. Fallout 3 - great game.... only 2 games that I've ever beat twice.
Rage_3k_Moiz said:
GOTY 2008: Fallout 3Runner-up: Mass EffectNothing else came close, not even GTA IV, mainly due to the plethora of problems in the latter. This is the second Rockstar game after Bully: Scholarship Edition that has been so shoddily ported to the PC. And Rockstar claim that current hardware cannot run the game at high settings. Total BS.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
I'd give the title to a game that works out of the box without bugs.
camuss15 said:
Well for me, I would have to say Runescape, although it is not a real installable game. This year has been great for Runescape, as the new HD version has come out, which looks great for an in-browser java based game! The amount of quality updates have not stopped coming since then, as the new "Master Quest" recently came out with great rewards and a good quest plot. Anyway, Runescape is my pick of best game of the year. I do play most of the games mentioned here as well though and they are all great games.
BlindObject said:
STALKER: CSFallout 3Dead Space
momir said:
yea and i forgot fallout 3 is on second place,after FAR CARY 2
MetalX said:
The Presidential election campaign would have to be the best game of 2008.
nightfire said:
Crysis for melove the graphics,great story,great game play
captain828 said:
[b]Originally posted by MetalX:[/b][quote]The Presidential election campaign would have to be the best game of 2008.[/quote]+1
Doctor_HV said:
Well, there were many great games I played this year since I upgraded my PC, but one that I wanted to play and I'm enjoying playing it now is GTA4 and I would definitely put it on 1st place.
King Ping said:
Definately FaCry 2, Crsis Warhead, Fallout 3,Left 4 Dead and my favourite COD5 WAW...well its my opinion anyway.
kakarot27 said:
fallout 3 was the best game i played this year.far cry 2 and cod5 are tied for second[Edited by kakarot27 on 2009-01-02 22:58:06]
dlbrown06 said:
I just got dead space about two weeks ago, and have been playing it like crazy ever since. I'm about done with it and so far the graphics and game play has been amazing. I finally decided to fork over the money and get it after reading the review below. I also got it from that site. I haven't played fallout yet, but so far I put my vote in Dead Space.