Stardock: Roughly 85% of Demigod players are pirates

By on April 17, 2009, 1:00 PM
Following the game’s release on Monday Tuesday, about 120,000 people attempted to play Gas Powered Games’ PC title, Demigod, online. However, only 15% of those connections were genuine purchasers, while the remaining 85%, totaling in at about 102,000 players, are playing via pirated software, according to Stardock CEO Brad Wardell. Although pirates aren’t actually able to partake in the multiplayer portion of the game, the opening version of Demigod pinged a server for updates upon booting – meaning that every player with an established Internet connection hit the server.

Wardell went on to say that Stardock has spent a lot of time trying to sift out the warez users from the legitimate ones, but that it would require a lot of surgery to actually “break them”. He feels, though, that it is a lose-lose situation because it’s not like there will be an accompanying “ha ha pirate” message to those being cut off from the game – thus resulting in people simply labeling the game buggy.

Being that the company is heavily opposed to invasive DRM, as with other Stardock releases, Demigod shipped without any on-disc copy protection.

TomSEA said:
Xempler said:
Badfinger said:
Ouch, gamestop player reviews, giving Demigod rating 4 out of 10 scale.Too short on content, install headaches/bugs.One buyer said he played through it ALL TWICE in a few hours, this is it?This might be another reason it's 85%.I read the info, and it's not my cup of tea, so easy pass for me, irregardless.
captain828 said:
[b]Originally posted by Xempler:[/b][quote]We can look at the data at another angle as well. It's possible that of the 85% a certain percentage of people might just be trying out the game first before purchasing. Last thing you want to do is dish out $50 and find out the game is just utter crap.Personally I think a good game will sell regardless of the piracy issue. Look at games like Diablo 2 or Warcraft 3...those games are so damn old and you can easily download a pirated copy but they still sell like hot cakes.[/quote]Very well said.A friend downloaded a copy and said he played the game for about 5 mins and then uninstalled it.Curios, since the game was heavily hyped, I asked him why he didn't like it.He said he didn't like the gameplay, the maps were too small and there was no SP campaign. He also compared it to DotA Allstars and said the game was crap compared to it.Now I haven't tested it to see for myself how the game is, but I'm definitely not buying it since I don't like DotA.On a side note, I was planning to buy CoR: Assault on Dark Athena, but when I heard what kind of problems people are having on the forums because of the draconian DRM (Tages)... I guess I'll buy it when a crack comes out or at least wait for a friend to test it.
TomSEA said:
I guess it's really too troublesome to wait for player/critic reviews to see if a game is worth buying. I checked the reviews on Demigod the day it came out and everyone said it was a dog.But I guess it's just a lot easier to steal it then do a little research, right guys?
Relic said:
As most already pointed out this game is alright. Nothing special and definitely not a must have imo. Review sites were mixed some gave them highish scores others average. The game's also been out just a few days and has only been released officially in the US. Many of these could be contributing reasons to those numbers and hopefully they will fall in the coming weeks. Personally I would like the company to stick to its no DRM policy. DRM heavy games ruin the experience before it can even start for many and I for one steer clear from heavy DRM games. Sins of Solar Empire was a huge success with no DRM and massive sales/profit from Stardock, so saying that piracy is ruining PC gaming industry is absurd. Look at the Spore/EA debacle with its heavy DRM and there decisions of late.
TomSEA said:
Relic said:
[b]Originally posted by TomSEA:[/b][quote]"Sins of Solar Empire was a huge success with no DRM and massive sales/profit from Stardock, so saying that piracy is ruining PC gaming industry is absurd."And here we have the "they make plenty of money so piracy doesn't matter" excuse.I love this argument. So if a game/movie/song makes "x" amount of dollars, it then makes it OK to steal it, right?[/quote]Where do I make this argument? I love seeing stuff that isn't there! Makes me all happy inside! Please re-read what I posted, in case you can't I will tell you. A non-DRM game DID WELL! No where did I endorse piracy or theft of any kind. I do not support stealing or DRM! I guess you can't have it both ways with you.
Matthew said:
[b]Originally posted by TomSEA:[/b][quote]"Sins of Solar Empire was a huge success with no DRM and massive sales/profit from Stardock, so saying that piracy is ruining PC gaming industry is absurd."And here we have the "they make plenty of money so piracy doesn't matter" excuse.I love this argument. So if a game/movie/song makes "x" amount of dollars, it then makes it OK to steal it, right?[/quote]I think you might be missing Relic's point, TomSEA. I think they are simply trying to say that piracy isn't really impacting the industry as much as it might appear to be at face value. There is no implication of justification for software theft in Relic's comment.*Edit*:) Looks like you beat me to it, Relic.
Relic said:
[b]Originally posted by Matthew:[/b][quote]:) Looks like you beat me to it, Relic.[/quote]:) Thanks for clearing it up too, I don't appreciate it when people distort my words.
hamsteyr said:
I'll admit to pirating games here and there, but as mentioned already, i only buy games which i truly enjoy playing, and yes, call me cheap ass pirate but i prefer paying for something i enjoy. I bought original Copies of Call Of Duty 4 and Battlefield 2 and i never looked back. To me personally even my friends who owned Call of Duty 4 the pirated end soon saw that the game was soo worth the cash that they got themselves a copy in the stores. It might be a silly thing but the way i see it, most gamers are people who don't have their own income yet, and are not freely available to get all the games which they want. Most modern households however have a proper internet connection. Work the math i guess.I think this kind of thing only applies to the Games industry though. You can't apply the same to music... Its not like theres much difference between a CD copy of a song and a downloaded copy... so good luck to the RMAA (i think thats who they were) finding a way to stop piracy in music... though if you love the band's music, get their CD's :3 Its your own way of supporting them :D
Matthew said:
To be fair, as well, given the multiplayer-centric nature of the game and the number of pirated copies floating about, it's probably safe to assume that a lot of the user comments (both here and elsewhere) regarding the game length and general quality are somewhat skewed, as a pirate would be unable to experience the true focal point and potential of the title.
tengeta said:
So what, if these people suddenly can't pirate it they will go and visit their local store to buy it? Maybe some.I'm willing to bet that the majority of pirated things would be things people didn't want to pay for originally and would have gone to an alternative or avoided it altogether. Not all of them, but the vast majority.Piracy hurts Linux more than anything. Its really simple when you put it together. People can steal the Windows they are familiar to and use it still, so they do.
darkshadoe said:
[b]Originally posted by TomSEA:[/b][quote]Well, here's a perfect example of why I have never bought the "if it didn't have DRM, it would sell a lot more copies" arguments. 85% theft rate. For the hard of hearing, that's EIGHTY-FIVE PERCENT. And I'm pretty sure that's very representative of industry-wide game theft.These jerks are going to ruin PC gaming if the industry doesn't find some way to effectively combat it.[/quote]Your pretty sure? How about some hard figures with sources?The horse is pretty much hamburger now, you can stop beating it :)
PanicX said:
Matthew said:
[b]Originally posted by PanicX:[/b][quote]I'd be interested to see what percent of the 85% are from people outside the released demographic. If it was only sold to the US, there's a lot of world out there that would like to taste it and clearly legitimate sales aren't gonna work.[/quote]Also a fantastic point - not that it justifies theft, but a great point nevertheless.
Relic said:
[b]Originally posted by PanicX:[/b][quote]I'd be interested to see what percent of the 85% are from people outside the released demographic. If it was only sold to the US, there's a lot of world out there that would like to taste it and clearly legitimate sales aren't gonna work.[/quote]Ya I am a bit confused to this as well. The Gaming and Movie industry for a while now has been doing world wide releases of content knowing that if they don't fans from other countries will most likely pirate it. I would say this is the biggest cause of those inflated numbers. Especially since the European launch date is set for the end of may.
Darth Shiv said:
[b]Originally posted by TomSEA:[/b][quote]But I guess it's just a lot easier to steal it then do a little research, right guys?[/quote]Yes but just because someone says it is good doesn't mean it is your cup of tea.Regardless, what is the fascination with the pirated statistics as potential sales figures? That 85% probably won't buy your crappy game even if they could not pirate it at all. How about focussing on satisfying the people who buy the game by not releasing buggy trash? (That means you EA)
gamerex said:
No one likes DRM for some reason, and when a honest company makes it's games without one, everyone steals a copy.
darkshadoe said:
coldFuSion said:
[b]Originally posted by darkshadoe:[/b][quote]So If I buy the latest best selling book (Harry Potter for example) and I read it through and then hand it to one of you guys to read because this book is something you want to read, isnt that copyright infringement as well?..you didnt buy the book but you read it.Should we shut down places like Goodwill stores and thrift shops because they sell books that the authors dont receive compensation?Google has links to torrent sites.. shut them down too?Shut down used car dealerships because Ford or Chevy doesnt see any money from the sale of a used car?Why does this have to stop at just file sharing and downloading..lets bring it to everything. Heck this post is my intellectual property. Are you gonna pay me if you quote me or use my words?Just some food for thought.[/quote]Quoted and pirated your words ;)Excellent points darkshadoe. Book authors have had their work pirated for decades. Everyone that walks into a library and reads a book is a nefarious pirate. Everyone involved including the people who run the libraries and even the librarians should all be given multi-million dollar fines and jail time like the owners of Pirate Bay.