EA's Sims 3 goes gold

By Justin Mann on May 11, 2009, 5:24 PM
Love it or hate it, The Sims as a series remains one of the most popular in the world. Beating even Blizzard's World of Warcraft, it has sold over 100 million copies worldwide, making it the best selling video game franchise of all time. The next installment of the series, The Sims 3, is due for release sometime in June and has recently gone gold. With all development finished and the game now released to manufacturing, EA will get to see if their next Sims title will live up to the obviously high expectations it has.

This is the first game in the series that is not developed by Maxis but instead by EA Redwood Shores and EA Black Box. Maxis had definitely brought a lot of experience to the development process and helped the publishing giant produce several blockbuster games, including Spore. Thus, many people have wondered whether or not EA can pull it off with their own teams. Will Sims 3 be just as big as the ones before it? Or will it mark a turn for the worse, with EA milking the series until the end?

TomSEA said:
Blech...I know the Sims series is insanely popular (by whom is a mystery - no one I know has it), but I won't be touching this even if they gave it to me free.I bought a copy of Sims 2 for a girlfriend's daughter 3-4 years ago and after watching her play for about 10 minutes, I felt like throwing myself off the nearest bridge.Now you add EA to the equation and it goes from a polite "thanks, but no thanks," to a "not if you held a gun to my head!" [Edited by TomSEA on 2009-05-11 18:19:34]
tengeta said:
Its really sad that Maxis got axed for... no reason at all.I think that was the final straw with me for EA, I haven't gotten a game of theirs in years. Its pretty easy too with all the crap they make LOL.
Badfinger said:
ntense said:
[b]Originally posted by Badfinger:[/b][quote]EA swallowed up a lot of small gaming companies, even the For Dummies gaming series is theirs and they have the CD in the drive protection on even those.... ARGH!Yeah, I admit to buying one to see if it could help me improve, but didn't notice the EA symbol. 8) 8([/quote]It's always amazed me why people even care who makes a video game or piece of software. We don't care who makes a movie or a TV series as long as it is good the behind the scenes stuff does not affect our lives at all. People don't really care who owns a sports franchise unless the owner is someone who demands attention which is a small list of a few.But I see so many gamers who have this "I won't buy THEIR stuff" kick when in reality that person probably knows absolutely nothing about the people in that company, who they are and what they are like. It's just something they have let someone plant in their head.
captain828 said:
Totally agree with you ntense! I don't give a damn who makes a game as long as it's fun, cus that's what a game means... having fun, not bashing EA/Ubisoft/Blizzard/R*/Bethesda/Bioware/Epic for their games.While they've made some VERY crappy and/or buggy games (NFS Undercover, BF2142 to name a few big flops) they also did some nice jems: Spore, Mirror's Edge, Dead Space and FIFA 09 (ok, this is just personal opinion ;) ).
Relic said:
[b]Originally posted by ntense:[/b][quote]It's always amazed me why people even care who makes a video game or piece of software. We don't care who makes a movie or a TV series[/quote]While I will agree with you that certain people just jump on the bandwagon to hate on certain companies (with no real reason), there are plenty of legitimate complaints about a lot of software (gaming or otherwise) companies including EA. Couple examples, EA tends to buy out companies (even hostile takeovers) for there IP and drastically changing the company and there games, they also have strict DRM (SecuROM) w/ activation limits and in extreme cases it conflicts with other software on your PC. EA has been steering away from these things as of late from what I know. I still believe it is important to know about these issues especially if you purchase there software as they do make some nice games :) . It's not really comparable to movies or TV either since they don't install on your system.Back on topic thou Sims 3 will do well imo, even w/o Maxis. Its an easy mainstream game that might take a while to pick up but I think in the long run it will serve EA. While personally I wont be playing it I do know some that will most likely get it they are not gamers but they like social games.
gobbybobby said:
I will defo buy Sims 3, but Im not a big Fan of EA anymore, like what many have said above, SecuROM is stupid, and makes people rather pirate a game than have to deal with a retail copys activation limits ETC, I don't know why game companys choose to publish their games with EA.I am going to stop wearing the EA branded T-Shirts I have picked up at gaming/tech events. It is a shame Maxis is no longer, but thats the way it is, soon it will only be big names in gaming.