Windows Vista SP2 standalone installer now available

By on May 26, 2009, 9:32 AM
Update: It would appear that SP2 is available through Windows Update now, as well.

As we’ve previously reported, the service pack will be available via Microsoft’s Windows Update mechanism in the coming weeks, but for those interested in downloading an official release prior to that; today’s you’re lucky day. Redmond has provided Vista and Server 2008 users with a downloadable standalone installer for both 32 and 64-bit versions.

If you haven’t yet heard, the update brings native support for Blu-ray burning and Bluetooth 2.1, improvements to Windows Search and Wi-Fi configuration. In a typical fashion, it will include all of the updates and security fixes released since the previous service pack, and will require SP1 to be installed.

The company warns that if you have used “vLite” to customize your Vista installation, it may have deleted required system components which could prevent SP2 from installing. They have, however, provided a workaround.

Download: Vista/Server 2008 SP2 32-bit | Vista/Server 2008 SP2 64-bit

phantasm66 said:
Just installed it there. Might be my imagination but it seems a wee bit faster. Nothing much else to report, though.
phantasm66 said:
Now installed on my second laptop (tablet pc) and so far so good.
yukka said:
Installed on my vista home premium 64bit version. Set it going and went to the gym for an hour or so. Back and all is well. It was awaiting my password and informed me SP2 was installed once I got to my desktop.
isamuelson said:
So far, so good. No problems. Haven't really noticed an increase in responsiveness though. However, no decrease in performance either so that's a good thing.
aolish said:
im' sure we'll see a wave of people that will have problems with vista sp2 and the other wave of ppl that have no problems with it. Service Packs have always been like this.
ROYAL115 said:
I downloaded the disk and noticed that there were 3 .exe files on it.they are,Windows 6.0-KB948465-(IA64, X64, & X86).exe.I assume that the IA64.exe file is for the VIA 64 chip.X64 would be for Intel 64 bit, and X86 for 32 bit machines.I have a 64 bit machine running Vista Home Prem, 32.Which should I use?The reason I'm asking is that I want to make up a disk with SP1 and SP2 on it. In case I have to restore the whole deal someday. There is plenty of room for all of it on the DVD.Thanks,Dave
Julio said:
[b]Originally posted by ROYAL115:[/b][quote]I assume that the IA64.exe file is for the VIA 64 chip.X64 would be for Intel 64 bit, and X86 for 32 bit machines.[/quote]You have the later part correct, but the IA64 exe should be for Intel Itanium-based server platforms, not VIA.