Attend Microsoft event for free copy of Windows 7

By on August 17, 2009, 6:30 PM
It is my opinion that there has been more controversy over Windows 7's pricing than any other aspect of its coming launch - especially with Apple to offer Snow Leopard upgrades for $29. If you act quickly, though, you have an opportunity to snag a copy of Microsoft's upcoming operating system free of charge.

The company is hosting The New Efficiency launch events across 25 US cities between September 28 and November 9 of this year for Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Exchange 2010. Attendees will receive a free copy of Windows 7 Professional. Granted, that doesn't consider travel costs but registration and entry to the event is absolutely free.

Have a look at the event dates, times and locations after the jump (via Ars Technica).

• Developer Windows 7 Track (9:00am - 11:35am):
    • Optimizing Your Application for Windows 7
    • Creating New and Exciting Users Experiences - Part 1
    • Creating New and Exciting Users Experiences - Part 2
  • Developer Windows Server 2008 R2 Track (9:00am - 11:35am):
    • Windows Server 2008 R2, What's New and What's Changed
    • Windows Server 2008 R2, Build Solutions that Scale Beyond 64 Processors
    • Windows Server 2008 R2, Enterprise Network Solutions
  • IT Professional Windows 7 Track (1:15pm - 4:45pm):
    • Introducing Windows 7 and the Windows Optimized Desktop
    • Make People Productive Anywhere with Windows 7 and the Windows Optimized Desktop
    • Manage Risks through Enhanced Security and Control with Windows 7 and the Windows Optimized Desktop
    • Streamlining Deployment of Windows 7
  • IT Professional Windows Server 2008 R2 Track (1:15pm - 4:45pm):
    • What's in Windows Server 2008 R2 for IT Administrators: A Technical Overview
    • What's in Windows Server 2008 R2 for IT Administrators: A Technical Overview Part 2
    • New Server Deployment and Migration
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 Virtualization Technologies - Savng IT Costs
  • IT Professional Exchange 2010 Track (1:15pm - 4:45pm):
    • Introducing Exchange Server 2010
    • Exchange 2010 Voice Mail enabled by Unified Messaging
    • Exchange 2010 High Availability and Storage
    • Exchange 2010 Archiving and Retention

Simply choose a city to get started:

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I just tried signing up for this and a heads up to any government employees. If you select "I'm a government employee," you'll get a follow-up menu listing all the prices of the items (including Windows 7) and given an option to either pay for them, or bring a letter from your ethics officer stating you can receive them as a government employee. Microsoft won't give freebies to government employees (against the law, y'know).

viperpfl said:

Would love to go but it's almost a 4 hour drive to where I need to go, 8 hours round trip. Long drive just to get a free copy of Windows 7.

Unfortunately with MS giving out free copies of Windows 7 it appears the Windows 7 courses have filled up way to quickly in many cities with individuals who are just looking for a free handout and are not necessarily directly in the IT industry, leaving many techs who would truly utilize it out in the cold.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I got put on the waiting list for Atlanta, but I am definitely attending the Miami event. WOOHOO! I'm such a geek

PanicX PanicX, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

wow, LA is full and OC had just 1 seminar open. Barely registered in time.

Great! If U live in US...

FoReWoRd said:

exactly for all of us in the UK and the rest of the world still have to pay or buy a new computer with a free upgrade

Nice, but since I'm already prepurchased Windows 7 for home and they don't come into our area until November; I will have already been running it for awhile.

MS...It's always US only...isn't it?

I'm sure some of great IT techs does not live in US...only benefit to those who live in US...

Rage_3K_Moiz Rage_3K_Moiz, Sith Lord, said:

IMO, the Windows 7 Upgrade for $50 is far better priced than Snow Leopard at $29. The latter is just a relatively minor upgrade to an existing OS, while the former is a completely revamped OS based on the Vista kernel.

What's more, SL can only be installed on Intel-based Macs, leaving the PowerPC users stranded. No such limitations for Windows 7. My old machine with a Pentium 4 2.4GHz Northwood, 2GB of RAM and a GeForce 6600 can run it pretty smoothly.

Those running Apple's Tiger or Panther need to buy the $170 boxed set. In contrast, a Windows 7 Upgrade disc can be used by anyone who owns a legit version of XP or Vista. That's 8 years of Windows purchases covered, vs only 2 years for Apple.

EDIT: Seems like they've run out of licenses for the $50 version. It now costs $120 for a Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade. Oh well, it was good while it lasted...

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Ya know, if the EU wasn't busy suing MS every other day, they might be more open to doing promotions like this there.

Jibberish18 said:

I was actually excited to sign up because I thought it was just going to be something that teaches the new features and basics of Windows 7 to the general public, BUT I found out that it's for IT Professionals. So I didn't bother. Besides, I'd be embarassed if I went there and got schooled by Microsoft and asked questions I don't know the answer too.

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

Registered for Pittsburgh, and so is my boss! This will only be my 2nd technology related conference, and I'm actually excited to hear the presentations as well (but of course a free copy of WIN 7 Pro is the main motivating factor).

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Wow it seems Microsfot its doing its homework. They know that a good(if not the best) way to promto W7 and get aout of that messy reputtion Vista brought is to promote its new OS, with conferecne such a these. And not only that, they are giving free copies of W7, not bad at all. I plan to attend the one in Miami, but here's what I dont get, you have to register for the event as an IT professional? I do know a lot about computers, but I also know I'm no IT Pro. Is this event only for IT professionals, or what?

So what happens if you live outside US your SCREWED. Hardly fair is it.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

So what happens if you live outside US your SCREWED. Hardly fair is it.

bitter much?

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

So what happens if you live outside US your SCREWED. Hardly fair is it.

XP Home is going for $79.95 now! But Newegg probably doesn't ship overseas either. It's turning into a brooding abject bitterness now, isn't it?

davidm71 said:

Is this woth my while to attend if I'm an amateur programmer and tech geek? Anyone know what they will be talking about exactly?

Im signed up for it.. Anybody know if they are giving 32 or 64 bit versions of 7 Pro?

Yeah, but if you are in the UK you can get it for half off. I'm not bitching because I don't live there and I understand marketing something like a software license. Microsoft is a US company and it makes sense that they launch here. People in the US miss out on plenty of tech launches because they are in Japan or somewhere else. We get used to it because it's just the way things go. Nobody owes you anything.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

MS...It's always US only...isn't it?

Do you really blame microsoft though? I mean, after all the crap the EU has demanded from them, I would just stay in the US also.

raybay said:

32 Bit. All USA courses are full, and have waiting lists.

teklord teklord said:

I wanted to crash the party and score a free copy of Windows 7, don't know about the waiting list though. Would have been great with the Core i7 rig I hope to build.

I use both Mac and PC in my home and I just want to say that the Mac Boxed Set is much better value than a copy of Windows. The box set includes an OS license, as well as iLife (the closest option offered by Microsoft is Expression Studio, which retails for $599) and iWork (which rivals Microsoft Office Basic, however, Office Basic is not available through retail channels, thus, rivals Office Home and Student or Standard, the difference being in home-only use or use in a commercial environment, retailing for $149 and $399 through Microsoft's website respectively). Even Windows 7 Home Premium, licensed only for home use, $100 a seat, and Office Home and Student, $149 a seat, already exceed the box set price.

That being said, I've already registered and I'll be driving out to Boston from my home in Connecticut for my free copy. =P

OH YEA! I got an invitation, I went to the page ans it said they were full so I signed up for the Waiting LIST and I got an Invitation in my E-Mail!!!!...I'm so Happy. Attending the Detroit event, and I'm a University student so even if Im not an IT pro yet its a great opportunity to meet real ones and I can get a good idea how they are. Thank You Microsoft!!!! ;)

I just attended and received a 32 bit.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

I went to a joint Office 2007/Vista launch party event back when they were released, I only got a copy of Office 2007