Patch Tuesday to bring six security bulletins

By on November 5, 2009, 4:12 PM
Microsoft has detailed next week's Patch Tuesday in a post at the Microsoft Security Response Center. This time around, Redmond will issue six security bulletins -- far less than last month's record breaking 13 bulletins. Three of the six bulletins listed are rated critical -- the highest severity -- while the other three are marked as important. Five of the bulletins are said to allow remote code execution, and at least four will require a restart.

Affected software includes Windows 2000, as well as 32 and 64-bit versions of Windows XP, Server 2003, Vista, and Server 2008. Windows 7 isn't named, but one of the updates applies to Windows Server 2008 R2. Microsoft Office XP, 2003, 2007, Office 2004 and 2008, as well as Open XML File Format Converter for Mac, Office Excel Viewer 2003, Office Word Viewer 2003, and the Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats are also affected.

In addition to the mentioned security patches, Microsoft will also release one or more non-security, high-priority updates, on Windows Update and Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), along with a new version of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. The company will host a webcast to address customer questions about the coming fixes on November 10 at 11AM PST.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Like no one expected this type of things... what I didn't really expect is that only one of those bulletins is according to "server 2008 R2", it's still pretty good news!

Beggars said:

At least they're fixing the issues I guess. Microsoft really needs to get itself in check though, I mean that is quite a lot of fixes in a short amount of time. It's either a good thing that so many fixes were released, or a bad thing in that it points out Microsoft's inadequateness and inability to write secure and decent software code.

Shalimar said:

You think for the "world's most popular and used operating system" they would be the epitome of efficiency and secure code by now. <-- hahahahahhaaha how true indeed!

Meanwhile careful selection of what updates you allow is a must. Remamber M$ classified the WGA c rap as "critical" as well and we all know what a load of BS that is!

elroacho72 said:

I can't image what and how many people it takes to put out these updates and patches.

zaidpirwani said:

shalimar said:

Well, there is no perfect software nor is there anything like perfect code, so just sit back and relax, while Microsoft starts to load up your computer with more updates and useless software, I have been using one computer, which is still at SP1 and XP and it has no problems at all, the automatic updates are OFF.

But still, if you want to stay safe, I would Suggest Deep Freeze, as there is nothing better then this.. because installing updates every now and then on work systems seems like a bad thing.

freedomthinker said:

Well , Microsoft is seems to be working quite a bit , at it ? But seriously why the often updates ?

Razerblade said:

Proves that Windows 7 is the most secure operating system as it doesn't need patching! Hopefully it will stay like this for a very long time!

limpangel limpangel said:

@razerblade: Proves that MAYBE Windows 7 is the most secure MICROSOFT operating system TO DATE. I say maybe because of this: [link] . Ok, maybe that test is not very conclusive because there's no antivirus installed, but stiil I think windows 7 should provide much more default protection than previous versions.

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

With all of these fixes I wish MS would have some kind of offline patcher that can be used to update a fresh install. There are other methods of doing it but it would be nice for MS to release something.

swilllx2p said:

I'm pretty surprised Windows 7 isn't listed, but it comes as good news that it may be more secure out of the box then a lot probably thought. Maybe I just havn't been watching enough tv lately but i havn't seen many mac commercials bashing windows 7 as of yet..

njel said:

And here we go again... the beginning of a completely new list of Security updates and at the end a SP1.... lol

jazboy said:

I am having window 7 ultimate installed on my machine. I didn't get any update notification. I guess i have to run update manually and see if their is any update / patch released for windows 7 too.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Don't really mind these patches as I don't find them that intrusive... as long as they're not windows genuine advantage crap.

The most consistent thing I've found with the last couple of "patch days" is my anti virus software being disabled, requiring a re-install and this last group of patches "lost" my cd/dvd hardware and I still haven't been able to get it back up. Is it me or does it look like the only way Microsoft can get people to purchase "new Windows" is by crippling XP?

JudaZ said:

sounds like there is something else crippeling your system, not the updates.

If you lost your cd/dvd drive ...are you using iTunes by any chance? iTunes is really good at modding the registry making the cd/dvd disapear and only showing up with the good old yellow explemaition in device manger. .. can be fixed thuogh with a "reg hack"

if your antivirus gets diabled, you might have a virus in the system....what AV are you using?

Neve heard of an update affecting antivirus programs...unless its a major update like SP2 or SP3