Dell's ultra-thin Adamo XPS to ship soon for $1,799

By on November 6, 2009, 5:30 AM
Dell has finally fully disclosed the specifications of its newly crafted ultra-thin notebook, the Adamo XPS. The laptop is only .4" (just over a centimeter) thick and weighs just over 3lbs.

Specs include a 13.4" LED-backlit 720p display, 1.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo ultra-low voltage CPU, GS45 integrated graphics, 4GB of DDR3-800 RAM, a 128GB SSD, 802.11a/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1, DisplayPort, two USB 2.0 ports, a 20WHr (about 2.5 hours of life) or 40WHr (a bit over 5 hours of life) Li-Ion battery, and Windows 7 Home Premium X64.

The system ships with Ethernet, VGA and HDMI dongles, as well as an optional DVD burner, Blu-ray drive, and a 250GB or 500GB external HDD. Other noteworthy features include built-in location awareness, an unconventional hinge placement (which angles the laptop), capacitive touch-sensitive latching mechanism, and a full-sized keyboard with aluminum capped chiclet-style keys.

The Dell Adamo XPS' design appears to be very Mac-inspired -- and that includes its asking price. The notebook starts at $1,799 and will reportedly ship in time for the holidays.

Razerblade said:

Specs look good but wow that is a lot of money! It is in the league of Apple with that price! Don't think ill be getting one of these myself!

Puiu Puiu said:

I'm afraid that if i use a bit too much force when typing i might brake it. Although the design is superb (in my opinion) it's very practical. The keyboard should have been fully grounded and they could have added an rotating screen instead (it might have even been cheaper that way). BTW i am impressed with the specs; they're better than i thought they would be, but the price is... auch.

kimsland, Ex-TechSpotter, said:

Oh 0.4 inch thin

I thought you were saying 4"

You know "inches" and feet aren't universal now, so I'm glad you put "(just over a centimeter)"

That's pretty thin, like snap-able thin !

Puiu Puiu said:

Puiu said:

what i mean is: "it's not very practical".

is there an edit button that i don't know about?

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It looks pretty neat, but since there are lots of options to this type of notebooks nowadays it really doesn't look that neat anymore (And considering the price differences there are).

This model might be unique and doesn't compare in a way to any of the others there are out there BUT the price makes you look the other way and just go with something cheaper.

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Kinda expensive but if you need a really thin laptop this thing is pretty sweet looking.

ElShotte ElShotte said:

Yeah, the laptop does seem a little bit pricey, even thought it might be well designed. One MAJOR drawback is the fact that there is only 2 USB ports. I know one of them would definitely be used up by a mouse, second by a storage device, and in that case, you're left with no room to plug-in your iPod, cellphone, whatever and you have to juggle wires.

@kimsland: ' denotes feet, " denotes inches, cm. denotes centimiters, mm. denotes millimeters.

ElShotte ElShotte said:

And you will be well of remembering that about 3 cm = 1 inch.

psycholexx said:

Nice design and features, but with the screen being alot heavier than the keyboard, working with it placed on your lap could be a little bit tricky.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

That's a really weird looking hinge, if you were trying to close the lid quickly wouldn't the screen and keyboard come crashing onto the table?

ken777 said:

.4" is amazing. It's too bad there isn't a way to see or touch this in person.

swilllx2p said:

slh28 said:

I was thinking the exact same thing....Talk about awkward when you go to close this laptop..at least from the looks of it. But yeah the price is a bit much. I will however give them props for the thinnest, honestly would love to see one in person because that seems amazingly thin, which leads me to wonder about its durability.

kimsland, Ex-TechSpotter, said:

Yes I know

But saying .4 looks like 4

I read the link to the article and it said 0.4

That was my point ;) (ie Best to quote the zero as well, plus that was the exact quote: 0.4" not .4")

And you will be well of remembering that about 3 cm = 1 inch.

You mean 2.54cm=1 inch of course ;)

njel said:

Too expensive for me... :-((

buttus said:

This is a pretty sweet notebook but the cost (like the Macbook Air) is still WAY too high.

zaidpirwani said:

I think I will break it the minute I start work on it, as I am not very good with stress and easily smash my hand on the thing in front of me, which mostly is my current laptop's touch-pad area. Though it looks kind of awkward with that strange hinge, it would have been better if this had touch and revolving scree, resembling a tablet, as because of its size and weight, I wouldn't mind using it like a tablet...

fastvince said:

Nobody I know, myself included would pay that much for a notebook. You could buy 3 decent ones for the price of just that one. Maybe I am the only 'poor' person on here !!

jazboy said:

specs look good but lot of money. Agree that its very thin but i don't think this is for those people who use laptop heavily. Atleast for me i want durable laptop and i don't think i am going to buy this one just to showoff my friends.

kimsland, Ex-TechSpotter, said:

Thats actually a good point

What is all this hype about thinner is better?

What exactly are they taking out?

Obviously there is zero shock absorption padding

I mean why thin anyway? Do people want to slip it up their shirt or something :D

It sits on a bench or on your lap usually!

I wonder if they can get any thinner than 0.4 My My, I can't wait for the 0.3" to be released, but don't turn it sideways cause it might vanish :D

treeski treeski said:

I think it's a pretty decent deal actually. It's not that over priced. The hard drive is solid state, the RAM is DDR3, it comes with a blueray player.

I wouldn't buy one myself, but it's pretty cool in my book.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

Wow, I must say I'm impressed with those specs! But it's a LOT more expensive than I thought it would be. that 128GB SSD is definitely contributing to that pricetag. The keyboard hinge is very unique and cool looking, but I wonder how sturdy it is. It looks like it would be under a lot of stress. I'd still take this over the Air any day though.

jurrasstoil said:

An ultra-thin notebook looks cool obviously, but the way the display opens is ultra-ugly

I'd love to see a cheaper netbook version with an Intel Atom. That should boost the battery life to something like 5 hours even with the small battery. Of course they'd never do that, because that would make it less exclusive.

The use of a super thin notebook that lasts 2 hours at best when used normally is beyond me anyways...

I wonder if you can place the keyboard flat so it's not at that incredibly uncomfortable looking angle? It appears they didn't have any ergonomicists working on this.

JieMan JieMan said:

Well if your looking for a thin notebook and money is no object then look no further.

I like the hinge placement, I'm sure it is to provide some nice airflow under the laptop as it sure is gonna get hot with minimal internal heat dissipation, the hinge idea alone will probably save them in alot of RMA's due to overheating.

But the thinner you go the more sacrifices you must make on productivity as the good hardware just won't fit.

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

I would rather spend the same amount of money on a toughbook and know that I have invested in a computer that has above average protection and is designed to work very well in various environments, as apposed to this on the other end of the spectrum, being about as durable as cardboard...if we get tired carrying around a 7lb laptop, we seriously need to hit the gym.

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

If this is anything like the Macbook air, it feels more solid than their regular Macbooks (before they went unibody), honestly.

I would also find the size most appealing. I'm not so concerned with weight.

Unfortunately, they haven't figured out how to make something this thin as fast as a full size notebook... But we'll get there. :-)

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm fine with Notebooks costing this much, but not with Intel integrated graphics. The Macbook Air comes with GeForce graphics, which makes it about a thousand times better than this Intel crap. (Slight exaggeration, but I really can't stand these Intel graphics.)

LxTrix said:

That is an interesting looking laptop. You could probably find a better priced one though.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The only people who would buy this are people who think it's cool to buy something else because they hate apple... but then this is a dell which is even uncooler...

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

I love the look but I thought technology is supposed to get cheaper..My teachers lied to me! lol If they could lower the specs a little and sell it for less/equal to $800 people would buy them up, maybe including me.

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

Oh, and people who want a stylish, well-made laptop that's very thin and have the money to burn...

Many of us have different needs, but the thought of cruising the net on something even *slower* than this Adamo makes me cringe. ;-)

seanjohn said:

treeski said:

I wouldn't buy one myself, but it's pretty cool in my book.

The Blu-ray drive is actually an optional upgrade. Thin stuff like these don't usually have an optical drive to begin with.

My boss has an early version of the Adamo, he connects his DIGISITOR USB Blu-Ray drive - [link] - to it for more functionality, and the occasional Blu-Ray movie when he's relaxing.