TechSpot's CES 2010 in Pictures

By on January 13, 2010, 6:27 AM
With the New Year came CES, the largest consumer electronics expo in North America. We traveled to Las Vegas to attend the event and bring you the scoop on some of the latest products from the main players in the computing world.

As itís becoming more common, the majority of big announcements were made even before the show started as every company tried to jump ahead each other in order to grab everybodyís attention. This year wasnít the exception and in fact the few major announcements made throughout the week were promptly taken care of in our regular news coverage. Thus this article is not meant to be a memory refresher, but to give you a brief outlook on what we observed and what caught our attention during the show.

Read our CES 2010 feature article.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Thanks for the recap and all the great pictures. Some fun stuff is in the pipeline!

ElShotte ElShotte said:

One thing that would really annoy me when playing on those monitors is that the screens do not accommodate for the border between the monitors, so the borders would "stretch out" the picture.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Good stuff - thanks! I struggle a bit with marginal carpal tunnel so definitely interested in the Smartfish keyboard. Will be looking forward to your report on that.

And read with amusement your comment on the 3DTV offerings:

"All implementations require glasses which is far from ideal, the effects created are usually underwhelming except for the odd object thrown directly at you (think dirt or water particles in a high speed car chase), not to mention can cause headaches."

This has been my stance (and many others who post here) since day one of the whole "3DTV crammed down our throats." For the life of me I have no idea where all this "you gotta have 3DTV" from the manufacturers came from. The masses certainly weren't asking for it. And although there may be better resolution, it's still the same old crappy 3D using uncomfortable glasses as described in the article.

I predict the 3DTV will be one of the biggest technology flops of the decade. With the excessive pricing (both in hardware and media), lack of available media, marginal performance, plus apathy by the public, this is a no-brainer.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

ElShotte said:

I think a bigger issue for me is the boarder right at the center line (only applicable on the 2/4/6 monitor setups. On the 3 it isn't an issue). So that if you are playing say a 1st person shooter, your cross hairs are split between two screens.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

@TomSEA - Im so glad someone else agrees with me on the 3DTV. I can' t even stand 3D movies, why would I want my TV to look like that?? I have worse eye site in one eye than the other, and normally its no issue, but with that stupid 3D I have a splitting headache by the end of the movie. And they don't even bring that much to the show. Only ever saw 1 3D movie (Monsters vs Aliens) and regretted it for the next day and a 1/2 as I tired to shake the headache.

SweetIT said:

I have a dual monitor setup on my desk at work and I love it. That display makes me drool! But I do have to take into consideration the gap on the framing. I'm sure I could get used to it but it sure would irk my nerves until I did. My coworker and I are thinking of ways that we can expand further. We just got Lenovo monitors that are widescreens. COOOOL!!!!!