Opera to unveil iPhone browser next week

By on February 10, 2010, 12:18 PM
Opera may be an underdog when it comes to desktop browsers, and is currently losing out even to newcomer Google Chrome in terms of market share despite being around for much longer. But when it comes to mobile browsers its Mini software is one of the biggest names out there. Now the company is hoping to build on that success and make its way into one of the hottest selling smartphones.

At next week's Mobile World Congress event in Barcelona, the Norwegian firm will demonstrate the latest version of Opera Mini running on the iPhone and other devices. The browser is supposedly up to six times faster than mobile Safari, due to the compression technology used in the background, which would also relief wireless carriers from high iPhone traffic strain on their networks -- Opera cites a 90% decrease.

Among the features Opera hopes will attract iPhone owners are support for tabbed browsing, bookmark syncing, password manager, and a feature that provides direct access to favorites called speed dial. Of course, there is one big caveat: Opera hasn't yet submitted the browser for approval by Apple, and it isn't saying when it will. They are just hoping "Apple will not deny their users a choice in Web browsing experience."

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Its much better browser IMHO than that crappy safari thing; I've used it on various (Symbian/WinMo) phones; and preferred it over the rest because of speed i'll admit; and despite lacking the flash support (till recent past).

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Will it be able to use Flash at all? And does anyone want to make a wager that this browser is not going to be accepted by Apple any time soon.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Haha! i bet a lot that apple won't approve! although some how I bet it will? the carriers will back it so that there networks have less strain on them.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Let's just hope Apple will allow this - I can imagine Opera's compression being very useful in mobile devices (not so much so on computers though... which may explain their low market share)

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

More often than not I've had awful experiences with Opera Mini on various platforms, though I have to assume they've made a better job on the iPhone if they want to compete with the built-in Safari. Good luck getting the app approved however, I seriously doubt Apple will open up unless there is tremendous pressure from customers (thank the Web if that was to ever happen).

I can already imagine getting it from Cydia.

No need for Apple approval!

@slh28

Opera is actually the innovator of a lot of options you see in, Chrome for example. Speed dial, tabs, cross-platform bookmark sync and a lot of other things were first made by Opera.

Compression is just their latest new option.

Flannelwarrior said:

I'd like to see this for Android. The choice of browsers is very lacking at the moment. I'm still waiting on the edge of my seat for Firefox mobile.

ColdFusion1990 ColdFusion1990 said:

I would pay $20 for Flash on my iPhone. Imagine all the online games and videos!

DJ83 said:

I'd love to see a version of Opera for my BB Bold

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Julio and Burty117 - I agree, don't think Apple will let them and my only experience with Opera Mini is on the Wii (maybe not even same version as on phones) and I'm not overly impressed. I am happy with it on a PC though (Opera full).

yukka - I very much doubt Flash support will be included, Apple won't let Flash on its phone for a couple reasons IMO. 1 - Its slow, processor usage even on modern PCs can get really high with some flash things, the phone either can't handle it or it would rape the battery. 2 - Apple is afraid if Flash is allowed, then people will just play flash games online rather than buying iPhone games from the App Store.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

That makes lot more sense to me, but just for that reason I would love to have it on iphone

what about the palm pre???