Microsoft to begin deploying browser ballot next week

By on February 19, 2010, 12:35 PM
Microsoft is getting ready to comply with its part in an antitrust settlement with the European Commission over the choice of web browsers in Windows. Starting on February 22, the company will begin deploying the infamous ballot screen that will let Windows users in Europe pick which of the five most popular web browsers -- Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and IE -- they want to install and use as a default.

As previously reported, browsers will be presented in random order, with other less popular options available to view as well. It will initially be available to users in the United Kingdom, Belgium and France, while a full rollout to other European countries expected on March 1. The ballot itself will be distributed automatically via Windows Update to customers running Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Running the update in Windows 7 will also automatically unpin IE from the taskbar if it's already set. Users will see an introductory screen explaining why this happened and giving the option to pin it back -- which seems rather unnecessary and confusing. In addition to offering the browser ballot to existing Windows users, OEMs will be able to preinstall a browser of their choosing and also uninstall IE from machines shipping with Windows 7.

Uninstall IE? LOL

Good luck with that, WinExplorer is IE!

thatguyandrew92 said:

This is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. Microsoft shouldnt be forced to do this. Honestly, people who arent good with computers are better off with IE anyway. So weird, I think the iPhone is MUCH more of an anti trust issue than Windows having only IE preinstalled. It's not like IE is the ONLY one allowed to be installed, jesus.

Punkid said:

aaaaaaahhhh finally

Anshrew said:

Great.

So now a ton of people will uninstall Internet Explorer, and then proceed to flood techsupport places with questions such as "why doesn't my WoW work anymore?".

(WoW requires IE for the launcher portion, as do tons and tons of other programs. Removing IE cripples your computer, it's best to just ignore it if you don't like it)

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Considering browers like Chrome, and Safari (which I like to use) often have compatability problems with some sites like Myt-mobile as an example I'll use IE and keep it there as "just in case" i need to fall back on something. This ballot thing is really pointless and more for those who aren't computer savy and will just accept what's given to them, now they will have a choice. To bad I honestly feel they won't be able to really understand the differences because there not computer savy thus which everone is #1 on the list or looks the coolest/is well known will be picked the most. Google/IE

maestromasada said:

Looking forward the day somebody sue Apple and force them to have a similar system on their mac and iphone. Why do I have to stand Safari on my mac, or iphone? Or why am I force to use iTunes on Apple devices? I find the Media Player library just fine, and it doesn't up my folders.

This Apple people are really becoming a pain. When they day come, I don't think they will be as efficiant as Microsoft at the time of displyaing a Explorer Ballot choice.

JudaZ said:

so does this meen i can soon run Internet explorer 8 on Snow Leopard, and on chrome OS when that comes out.?

When is Apple gonna be forced to do the same idiotic thing?

JudaZ said:

thatguyandrew92 said:

That is SO true. I never understood the complaint.

Microsoft didnt force you to use internet explorer, they whee always open to you using a competitors browser. Back in the days there where even guides on how to configure netscape navigator. in the OS (win 95 and b if i a remember correctly)

force apple to let the user controll their phones insted. They are forcing the user to use the programs they choose, and nothing else. ....Microsoft have done a lot of things but they have never forced the consumer to ONLY use their products like apple does.

i don't understand why the EU is making microsoft do this. hopefully it doesn't happen in the usa. anyway somebody has already started a petition to microsoft to not do it:

Finally! It was about time to get rid of that stupid 'browser' imitation call IE. It has been a nightmare for web developers for too much time.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Painful Elimination......

...[ ... the company will begin deploying the infamous ballot screen that will let Windows users in Europe pick which of the five most popular web browsers -- Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and IE -- they want to install and use as a default.

Read the whole story

Gosh Jos, wouldn't it just make more sense to install them all, then sack the ones you didn't like...?

Perhaps easier still, just don't click on the icons.

Flannelwarrior said:

I leave IE on my computer, but remove its presence as completely as I can.

JudaZ said:

nightmare? Really.? How so ... its a bit annoying that none of the browsers can follow standards..... but hardly a nightmare.

and its way better now then it was back in the days.

Firefox tends to give me more headaces then IE while designing/coding.

Looks good in everything but firefox, you change som css ...looks wierd in everythning else.

..so you make 2 seperate css files or sections ..problem solved.

trparky said:

Yes, Windows Explorer does use a component that is part of Internet Explorer but the browser itself can be uninstalled from Windows Vista and Windows 7 leaving the component behind for Windows and other third-party programs to use.

What people don't seem to understand is that Internet Explorer is really just a shell for the Microsoft HTML rendering module. You can remove that shell and leave the module behind.

Tmagic650 Tmagic650, TS Ambassador, said:

I use Google Chrome as my default browser, and IE8 is installed and updated so I can use it if I need to. There is no need to remove IE8, just set any browser you want as the default

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Aren't you afraid that nobody will understand this post because it actually makes sense?