HP Slate vs iPad document leaks, reveals more specs

By on April 5, 2010, 7:28 PM
Engadget has scored an internal HP document that reveals and otherwise confirms most of the Slate's specifications. Presumably intended for employee eyes only, the slide shows a side-by-side comparison of the Slate and iPad, complete with major pros and cons highlighted.

For $550 ($50 more than the cheapest iPad), the Slate offers an 8.9-inch 1024x600 capacitive multitouch display, a 1.6GHz Intel Atom Z530 processor and UMA graphics with an accelerator for 1080p media playback, 1GB of DDR2 RAM, and 32GB of flash storage (there's also a $600 model with 64GB of storage).

Additional features include an SD/SDHC/SDXC card reader (up to 128GB), a USB 2.0 port, a dock connector (power, audio in/out, HDMI out, USB), a SIM card tray, front and back-mounted cameras, up to five hours of life with a two-cell battery, and it runs Windows 7 Home Premium with an HP touch-optimized UI.

The company feels that the Slate has an advantage when it comes to processing power, as well as its pen/digitizer support, card reader, USB port, Dock support, conventional SIM card tray, and its cameras. Meanwhile, HP is threatened by the iPad's 1024x768 display resolution, its 802.11a/b/g/n support, its 10-hour battery life, and its lower starting price.

Recycle said:

I want this, very badly.

Time to start saving up.

lmanlo said:

But the cheapest one is a 16GB, the HP has 32GB so it is $50 less than the 32GB Ipad Apple is selling.

lmanlo said:

Also if HP would have also released a 16GB I think it would have been $50 less than the Ipad

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Recycle said:

I want this, very badly.

Time to start saving up.

I agree however I'm going to wait and see who else comes out with a product.

JudaZ said:

Now this is a product i would like to by.

and it can actually do 2 things at once!

A brand new tablet with a wireless b/g in? WHY???????

I will not buy anything that does not have wireless n because a single "g" client on my 2.4GHz "n" network will degrade the performance of all clients to "g" speeds. Upgrading to a mixed 2.4/5GHz network is too much for what I need it.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Guest - Wireless 'N' should be demanded for Slate. I can't believe that HP would let that one slide. That alone is the one major hesitation point. But perhaps an Mvix Nubbin can make up for that downfall? http://www.mvixusa.com/product/nubbin

So Slate wins at:

Web Browsing (with Adobe Flash and Air support)

Price at 32 GB

CPU

GPU / Graphics

Connectivity

Camera

...and I'd argue the OS is superior as well.

Loses in:

Battery life

WiFi support

Display size

If a Nubbin can work in Slate and fix the 802.11n issue, I don't see many reasons to favor the iPad.

IMO: HP Slate, plus HDTV Media Dock FTW!

[link]