Super Talent launches budget SSD line starting at $65

By on April 9, 2010, 4:33 PM
Super Talent has launched a new budget line of solid state drives that will compete against similar offerings from Intel, Kingston and OCZ. Starting at $65, the new VSSD range promises an affordable way into the flash storage world with "no compromise in performance" -- but before you get too excited we should note that there will be a compromise in capacity. That price will get you 8GB of storage, or half the minimum required for a 32-bit installation of Windows 7.

It won't exactly deliver on the performance promise either, with sequential read and write speeds of 90MB/s and 30MB/s respectively. A 16GB model will offer the same read and write speeds as the 8GB unit, while the larger 32GB drive will raise them to 150MB/s and 60MB/s, and a range-topping 64GB model offers 150MB/s and 100MB/s. You can expect to pay $175 for the latter, which puts the drive up against Kingston's equivalent SSDNow series offering.

Unfortunately, no specific pricing is mentioned for the models in-between. For your reference, Intel is offering the 40GB X25-V with read and write speeds of 170MB/s and 35MB/s for around $120, while OCZ has the 32GB Onyx delivering 125MB/s and 70MB/s speeds with a price tag of just under $100.

Regenweald said:

So can' t install win 7 and I probably have to be a terminal ninja to get TRIM support in Linux. So what is the point of this $65 PoS ?

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Regenweald said:

You can make a screaming Windows 3.11 rig.

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

You could run Windows 7 from a thumb drive cheaper than that. I dont see many of these flying off the shelves.

seefizzle said:

This product makes zero sense. Who is it aimed at? People that want to install half a video game?

Virtual Memory / Swap / Page Files ???

Regenweald said:

Virtual Memory / Swap / Page Files ???

Or you could buy actual memory, which works faster.

windmill007 said:

get a vertex with 30GB and way faster speed for less than $50 more

lchu12 lchu12 said:

I agree with windmill007.

In canada you can get the Kingston 64GB with 200/MB read and 110/Write for 145 to 155 before tax.

And what are you gonna do with a 8GB SSD?

What are they thinking?!?

thebluemeaner said:

you can buy 4 of these and make a Raid Array that will put ram to shame.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

Did you just say make a raid array that will put ram to shame? Raid arrays have nothing to do with ram, cant even compare the two. Or maybe I missed something.

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

thebluemeaner said:

you can buy 4 of these and make a Raid Array that will put ram to shame.

Considering RAM in a modern system offers over 10,000MB/sec of bandwidth, I don't think 4 of these drives at 60MB/sec are going to put anything to shame. Even PC-133 SDRAM could do 4-5 times better in terms of bandwidth and the latency is still certainly far less.

supersmashbrada -- as far as missing the point -- I think thebluemeaner was referring to memory vs swapping, in which case it is always a better idea to buy RAM (when possible). I can understand why someone might not make the connection.

Regenweald said:

Rick said:

thebluemeaner said:

you can buy 4 of these and make a Raid Array that will put ram to shame.

Further to what you said, I think it would be a pretty big waste of SATA power connectors and headers, to put four of these mediocre drives is a raid formation. If a linux user, better to upgrade your ram, do some terminal ninjitsu and run your latency hindered apps in memory.

thebluemeaner said:

Rick said:

thebluemeaner said:

you can buy 4 of these and make a Raid Array that will put ram to shame.

Yeah I was exaggerating a lot when I said "put ram to shame" but 4 of these in raid would seriously outperform any harddrive out there including rudimentary solutions such as "ram drives". 32gbx4 Is pretty much enough capacity to install your programs and it would perform with lightning speed compared to traditional hard drives...

LightHeart said:

This sounds like some kind of marketing ploy, to get headlines of a SSD for only $65. Of course once everyone finds out that it's only 8 GB they will pass. I'd rather put 8 GB of RAM or just use a USB stick and ready boost to help rather than put a Storage device of 8 GB. I'll just keep waiting a while longer until SSD's hit the sweet spot.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

gwailo247 said:

You can make a screaming Windows 3.11 rig.

That would be as close to "instant on" as anything that I can think of. It has TCP/IP!

(But no Firefox, Adobe Flash, etc...)

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Might be fun to play with when they get cleared out for $15.

Badfinger said: