AMD might stop putting tacky stickers on laptops

By on September 3, 2010, 6:55 AM
Hate it when companies crazy glue half a dozen stickers to your brand new $1,200 laptop? AMD understands. According to a NY Times report, the chipmaker likens it to buying a new luxury car that's plastered with permanent bumper stickers promoting the motor oil, floor mat, and air freshener companies. If you peel them off, the adhesive often leaves behind a residue that can be annoying because it's on the palm rest, meaning your hands touch whatever grime remains.

Although everyone hates them, stickers aren't going anywhere the NY Times said. As usual, it boils down to money. Tech giants like Intel and Microsoft pay big bucks for that billboard space, and most PC builders happily trade their customers' convenience for extra cash. That's not going to change -- at least not overnight.

However, AMD may eventually stop the sticker nonsense altogether, and in the meantime it's switching to new decals that peel off cleanly. Additionally, it will make them optional. If an OEM chooses not to use the processor company's stickers, AMD will provide the same amount of marketing cash, but it will be used in other ways.

GonchuB GonchuB said:

I like it when companies take care of customers in this way. I feel protected in a family way. I think I'm crazy.

Zilpha Zilpha said:

I might be in the minority on this, but I actually like those stickers. I've been a supporter of AMD chips for years and I kind of like opening my laptop and people can see at a glance what I have inside. The only thing that annoys me is that sometimes after a few years the stickers start to peel.

Besides - they always make the stickers look so nice. I hope that if they stop placing them on the laptop, they at least include them as part of the package so that people can choose whether they want to use them or not.

not really a big deal, the stickers are nothing a little wd-40 and a bit of elbow grease cant fix.

gobbybobby said:

When its a hi spec Graphics card sticker, I like it. ''hey look what I have in my laptop'' The windows one, like ''Windows vista, Windows 7 compatible'' I don't like!

foreverzero89 said:

i agree with Zilpha, i like em.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

You just started my day with a good guffaw GonchubB

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I would like the opportunity to place the sticker where ever I choose. Which is usually on the back of my phone or on the refrigerator. My proposal is to keep the stickers attached to their peel-off paper backing and let the customer pick where they go!

I agree that the palm-rest is the worst possible place for the obvious reasons that Matthew already mentioned.

Gars Gars said:

Zilpha said:

...

+ for that

Eddie_42 Eddie_42 said:

good use of an intel sticker........

I like the idea though, now if we can get computers to not come with 50gb of bloatware. Then its a perfect system.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

IDK those stickers never bothered me, and sometimes helped to remind what CPU was in that computer :P.

I personally like stickers. It's a good way to show off your ego.... I mean specs!!!!

I'm proud of my hardware.

BlindObject said:

If it's a cool legit sticker, they stay. The DOLBY sticker not so much for example.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Honestly, I'm surprised they aren't etching their logos into the case or track pads and backlighting them by now...

I love my stickers. I build my own PC's and each component comes with a sticker. They are referred to as "case badges" and that's what they are like for me. Like boy scout badges, but for your computer

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

This whole "decalcomania" thing reminds me I'm getting old and don't have a case sticker in sight.

I wax nostalgic for a small "Moon Eyes" decal for my laptop, even if it doesn't have hubcaps, or wheels for that matter.

I'm pretty sure the more stickers your case has, the faster it computes. Now, all you have to do is fit it with straight pipes.

"Spare me of the day";

Yeah right, but without any "merit".

Timonius Timonius said:

If only it were easy to build our own laptops. We could do whatever we want with the stickers that come with individual components.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Vrmithrax said:

I like that idea.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Zilpha said:

+1 I've always liked them and I hope they at least include them. Always enjoy showing off my CPU/GPU badge, however I could care less about a Microsoft sticker.

tengeta tengeta said:

I never had a problem with the stickers until OEM's started indenting the plastic to make it a lot harder to get off (not to mention you still have a weird indent after its gone).

I think they should go the way of the Video Card and just send the stickers with the hardware, if someone wants to show it they will gladly apply it.

blimp01 said:

"AMD will provide the same amount of marketing cash, but it will be used in other ways" ---- with a giant splash screen lasting 2 seconds after the BIOS posts

the article isnt presenting it in the right way. These stickers dont resemble that of floor mats or motor oil. therse are somethig like "AMG and v8"

It takes nothing but a fingernail to completely remove laptop stickers forever. I don't understand why this is news.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I don't understand why this is news.
It's not real news. It's for people who think that "Access Hollywood" is real news.

The stickers are just kind of there. I like 'em, but I don't really look at them unless I have a lapse in memory and forget just what hardware is in my laptop. They don't get in my way, but that may be because I have a widescreen laptop with a full keyboard and the stickers are mostly focused under my numberpad, which essentially puts them out of the way for the greater majority of the time I am using my laptop.

nismo91 said:

no big deal actually. careful use of penknife and grease remove these stickers with no residue and marks. then I'll just paste it on the under the battery or beside the COA.

It's annoying to have your 'palmrest' disturbed with many stickers, especially when your hands are sweaty. no-frills laptop have its own value for me.

superty12 superty12 said:

I like them

I like them. I will be looking into building notebooks, per Timonius's post.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Why not just keep writing to parts suppliers and make them give you two sets, one for the desktop, and one for the laptop. Who's gonna know the parts aren't actually in there?

Besides, with all those stickers on it, just think how fast your laptop will be.

as mentioned above the stickers may look nice but the hand rest on a laptop is a bad place for them I removed the stickers from the palm rest of my laptop but I proudly affix any cpu/motherboard/graphics card stickers to a tower