Analyst: Intel cuts processor prices by up to 50%

By on September 23, 2010, 2:46 PM
Intel has drastically lowered prices on its processors and chipsets, according to industry analyst Bobby Burleson. Hoping to spark consumer interest and clear inventory, Chipzilla has reportedly discounted Core i3, i5, i7 and Atom CPUs by 50% along with a 15% reduction on certain chipsets.

The move follows lower-than-expected sales of microprocessors due to economic weakness in Europe and China, in addition to news of Apple's (ARM-powered) iPad dipping into notebook sales. It isn't clear whether there is any correlation between the reductions and those reports.

Burleson believes the bargain chips will mostly cause system builders to stock up on parts. However, the cuts will also boost notebook sales in the short-term, as Acer, Lenovo and HP have lowered notebook prices. Nonetheless, the analyst expects demand to slow in the fourth quarter as consumers await the arrival of Intel's next-generation Sandy Bridge products.

When or if the savings will trickle down to the desktop retail space isn't mentioned. Intel said it wouldn't comment on any pricing beyond its public 1KU price list posted on intc.com.

Jibberish18 said:

Nice! Competition is a ***** isn't it Intel?! You've got AMD pounding away at your door from one end of the room and then you have ARM pounding on the otherside. This can mean only good things for consumers.

Intel processors are VERY expensive in comparison with AMD. Of course intel processors are killers in performance but you only notice that if you are onto games..... or mining :)

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Sure would like to see this reduction show up on Newegg today - not that I could afford an upgrade right now. It would just be nice to see.

treetops treetops said:

I wonder if it costs 50% more to unlock them after you get them.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

treetops said:

I wonder if it costs 50% more to unlock them after you get them.

lol, yea, i read that article. Funny how things work like that....

Jibberish18 said:

I wonder if it costs 50% more to unlock them after you get them.

Wait for it.......................................

ZING!

princeton princeton said:

Untrue.

[link]

[link]

the 750 smears the 965 in almost everything, and it isn't more expensive at all. Right now intel is simply the better option. The 750 also tends to overclock better than the phenom II. Plus the 750 has a lower TDP. If you compare two cpu's in the same price range the intel will usually come out on top. The only reason the i7s cost so much is because they're blistering fast and amd has no cpu to compete with them.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Never fails - just bought my i7-930 last month.

mailpup mailpup said:

Princeton, if you are comparing the i750 to the 965 you should fix your link. You linked to the AMD Phenom II X4 970. The 965 is lower in price by about $27 compared to the i750 (as of today, at least). If you intended to compare the i750 to the 970, then you still need to correct the narrative.

TomSEA, let us know when you buy your next processor or even graphics card so we will know when to expect the price to go down soon afterward.

princeton princeton said:

mailpup said:

I've seen benchmarks for the 965 and 970. The 750 beats both. So no I don't need to correct it, the 750 is better than the amd cpu in the price range.

3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

so when will the prices be put into effect I wonder... I want the new 6core baby....

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

so, when are the old LGA 775 parts gonna drop off the earth in prices? They are so ridiculously expensive in terms of price/performance it is ludicrous. A 50% drop in price for THOSE would put them in the same general price range (or lower) as some of their other parts as well as AMDs similar parts, and in a perfect world would spur a short term increase in incremental upgrades, hopefully helping intel and stores clear some of that inventory.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Something fishy about this story.

Nowhere on the net is reporting these "price cuts" other than linking to the original analyst's claim. Intel's price list has not changed. As far as I am aware, the next Intel CPU price cuts aren't due until 17th October.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

really?, maybe then you could do a great service then and tell Guru3D what they are doing wrong...because it appears that the 970 is hanging out in the i7 860-920 range

[link]

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

just when i need to build my PC, :P so cool ....

cheers!

fullmetalvegan fullmetalvegan said:

I use AMD for gaming and I don't notice any performance difference to Intel.

Probably cause I got a powerful GPU - most games rely on that.

Buldozer coming out. Da da da da. Hehe, Intel has a big brown thing in his pants. :D

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Do you always stutter...or just when you're over excited ?

[/rhetorical_question]

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

I'll get on the Bulldozer bandwagon when it hits the streets.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I really prefer reading official prices rather than a general statement from an analyst.

grvalderrama said:

This is perfect. I was going to buy a i5 750 and I don't know what stopped me, now I'm definitely sellimg my PC and buying it! Just hope that prices fall in a few months!

ebolamonkey3 said:

dividebyzero said:

Something fishy about this story.

Yea, I haven't seen any of this supposed "50%" price cuts short of in store, vendor specific deals on certain processors.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Hmm ....... may be the source is under 'dilation' effect, hence, it hasn't come to past ... for the rest of us.

yup, I'm waiting for Sandy Bridge. I'm waiting to build my "future proof" machine. I will probably wait until early 2012 when USB 3.0 becomes standard, Win 8 is out, Light Peak is here and stable, the new LGA2011 MoBo's are here, and SSD's are reasonably priced. I tend to run my computers into the ground (graphics designer) for at least 4 years. I love seeing the new tech come out and prices drop like flies!

Zilliak said:

lol ive never noticed any noticeable performance gains from intel but i do notice it in graphics cards.

MaXtor MaXtor said:

I'm happy with AMD.

I'm currently running the Phenom II X4 965 at stock clock with dual HD5870s. I am able to run ALL current games at maxed graphics (and 1920x1200) with amazing frames. I paid $150 for the 965 on sale at NCIX. Why would anyone pay more for Intel when you don't need it? If money is no problem for you, then sure, otherwise you're just wasting your money.