Super Talent intros 8GB USB 3.0 flash drive for $14

By on November 2, 2010, 8:30 AM
Even though major tech companies such as Intel and Apple have been slow to embrace USB 3.0, motherboard makers and device manufacturers are doing their part in helping bring this technology to mainstream ground. The latest salvo comes from Super Talent, which is expanding its offerings with a new line of budget-friendly USB 3.0 flash drives called the Express Duo. They come in both 8GB and 16GB capacities and will sell for a mere $14 and $29, respectively.

The new drives can reportedly hit data transfer speeds of 67MB/s. While that might not be quite up there with the faster USB 3.0 flash drives, it still exceeds the maximum read speed of USB 2.0 units by a significant margin. The USB 2.0 specification has a theoretical maximum data transfer rate of 480Mbps (60MB/s) but real speeds tend to run between 13MB/s and 34MB/s when protocol overhead is figured in.

Needless to say, the new Express Duo drives are backwards compatible with USB 2.0, so you'll be able to use them at lower speeds when USB 3.0 is not available. As Super Talent puts it, “there's simply really no reason to buy a USB 2.0 flash drive anymore.” The company is already shipping samples and will begin taking orders later this month.

buttus said:

Just, WOW. It simply astonishes me how cheap flash drives have become. I remember paying $100 for a 512mb drive some years ago. Now an 8Gb USB3 for $14?

Neojt said:

now thats cheep even the 16go at 29$ is a bargain its the same pricing (in the 8g) as usb 2

Bring it on

ruzveh said:

8gb @15 is really good deal i say. But if its usb3 then i would like to see 100gb sticks selling at below $20. Remember its a world of 3TB hDD.. lol

T3x said:

Cool, I was thinking about getting a new flash drive anyways.

taea00 said:

This sounds like a great deal. Even if you're just going to use it as a 2.0 drive, it's still competitively priced. There must not have been a great deal of difference in the manufacturing process if 3.0 devices are coming in at the same price point as 2.0 devices.

Ahmed90 Ahmed90 said:

great since the HDD and storage is the most slow part in the computers this is great its getting cheaper and cheaper

T3x, Its Hot !

taea00, This might be just a promotional price, y'know not permanent.

Ahmed90, No, Ahmed90 is the slowest part on ANY computer.

ruzveh, I would like to see 200Gb sticks for $10, I would also like to see Heidi Klum making me breakfast.

Excellent, Higher, Faster, Cheaper

dmoore44 said:

I just paid $30 for an 8GB USB 2.0 flash drive... granted it has a secure partition using AES-256, but it's not hardware level encryption, so I can't say that the extra $16 is worth it...

cardriverx said:

I was just looking for flash drive, looks like imma wait. $30 for 16GB? Thats great for a usb 2 drive haha.

treeski treeski said:

Is there a catch at all?

There's just something wrong about new technology at old tech's price :P

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Depending on how much extra they have to pay for the 3.0 hardware, it may not be that much of a change in the manufacturing process. That being said, I don't see to many situations where you need to transfer a lot of data very quickly onto a USB drive unless you're stealing the NOC list from Langley or something.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Well my good old Corsair 8 & 16GB USB flash drives are serving me perfectly well; so I am in no rush to buy this baby ...... and, I paid lots of money to buy them upon their respective launch

Cryptopsy said:

Waw, pretty cheap, I'll be buying one for sure, and I'll suggest to my friends

zogo said:

can't wait to get my hands on this. perfect, just what I need it and almost for free

ingalonzo said:

cooll!! i want one of does :p

Demons said:

That's a really good deal! I need to get a good PCI-E USB 3.0 card for my computer. I hope USB 3.0 does well this coming year. We need some more support for the standard.

AbsolutGaloot said:

Makes me wish I'd held out a little longer on building my computer to get a USB 3.0 motherboard.

frodough said:

it's a very good sign for company like this to step up w/ lower price, consumers win everywhere!

TwiztidSef said:

I did not expect this out so soon. Can't wait till more hard drive enclosures and other technology start embracing it.

RebelFlag said:

I will be buying one of these as soon as they become available.

uttaradhaka said:

This is so cheap!! 14 bucks for a 8 GB drive, that too being USB 3? Can't miss this. Even if you don't have a USB 3 compatible motherboard right now, your going to have it sometime in the future and until then, you can just use it just like a regular USB drive.

Compnut said:

Somethings just keep getting better, too bad bluray is still so expensive. That really needs to drop more for it to become ubiquitous.

poertner_1274 poertner_1274, secroF laicepS topShceT, said:

They are most likely trying to build market awareness and get people talking about their company, as well as the USB3 technology. Just like Google TV is giving away set top boxes to 'developers'. It got lots of people/websites talking about free Google TV.

It's all about market awareness and branding. Express Duo is now a company people will look in to for USB3, as well as other products they offer.

Have you ever heard of a loss leader? It's a classic Black Friday example. Sell one item at a loss to get people in the store, then they will hopefully purchase something else while there, or come back for something else at a later date. By them purchasing something else, they will recover the costs of the loss item.

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Wow, amazingly cheap. Good to see more USB 3.0 hardware being released.

tacobfm said:

Cool thats pretty cheap.

FransB said:

Darn thats cheap, however i wont expect the highest USB 3.0 data rates :P i think theres a cheaper controller in it.

Se7enVII said:

Awesome to see them becoming so cheap. This is why I love technology. Greater specs, lower prices, and greater possibilities!

crzydave said:

8GB for $14 isn't bad at all, and its usb 3.0! I might have to keep my eye on these. Wonder if they will be out in time for black friday?

silvershad0w said:

if i had a system with usb 3 then i'd love to get my hands on one. i'll upgrade my systems soon enough to support the standard though. what a great deal for a drive of that size and with the new usb standard.

princeton princeton said:

ruzveh said:

Uh.... Them having the USB3 interface wont make flash memory cheaper.... It'll make it more expensive due to needing faster memory....

Mushroom said:

Sounds a little too good to be true

blutom said:

cool, i need a couple of these drives. how can i get em.

IkarugaShiver said:

treeski said:

Is there a catch at all?

There's just something wrong about new technology at old tech's price :P

My thought exactly. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!

pacostrano said:

This is nice and pretty cheap but my laptop doesn't have USB 3.0. Can't have it

EDO219 said:

This. lol

EDIT: Oooooh, I may have just had an epiphany! Anyone correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't two of those 16 GB flash drives connected to USB 3.0 ports be a very economical alternative to a Solid State Drive? As Wikipedia describes USB 3.0, "the raw throughput is 4 Gbit/s, and the specification considers it reasonable to achieve 3.2 Gbit/s ...". [link] : "Via SATA, the Crucial 2.5-inch SSD offers a host data transfer rate of up to 3Gb/s ...".

Of course there are more and more 6.0 Gb/s SATA drives, but perhaps inexpensive USB 3.0 flash drives could substitute the current generation of SSDs!

fadownjoo said:

now intel has to make usb 3.0 motherboards for 5 bucks

UT66 said:

Intel is not amused.

silvershad0w said:

PYGMUS said:

This. lol

interesting theory.. a quick comparison on newegg of 2x16gb usb 3.0 flash drives costs around $100 at the bottom end and a corsair sata II 32gb ssd drive will run you $90 (on sale for $79 now). even a SATA II SSD will be much faster than the top USB 3 flash drives. i'm not sure if the fastest SSDs are completely saturating the SATA II interconnect but they surely are nearing it from the last reviews I checked on them. I'd go with the SSD vs USB 3.0 if i didn't need a lot of storage space and had didn't need to swap it out regularly. For on-the-go, the flash drive of course.

EDO219 said:

Ah, I also just noticed that USB 3.0 flash drives are currently only using a fraction of the potential bandwidth. So yeah, SSDs still win. lol

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

This IS really cool. With prices like these, super talent is right, there is no reason to buy USB 2.0 drives anymore. Now for more widespread adoption and products from other companies :3

Timonius Timonius said:

what's the physical size of these drives? I'm assuming they are 'thumb' drives.

ruzveh said:

Whats the use of faster memory without more space?

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

Wow, very nice price. I'll definitely be picking up a 16gb when they are available. Now only if they can bump up the storage space to 64... ugh. Few more months hopefully.

hitech0101 said:

Damn cheap with high speed but need to see the longer run aspect here.Nice move from the company to straight away do with USB 2.0 & move on to USB 3.0 Need more hardware like this.Finally some company which makes new hardware affordable.

gobbybobby said:

Wow thats a really good price! ''there's simply really no reason to buy a USB 2.0 flash drive anymore'' I would not go that far!!! Nobody I know had USB 3.0 yet but I suppose it never heards to be fucture ready!

raventrickster said:

While this is likely a marketing ploy for the most part since low end USB 3.0 controllers probably don't cost them *that* much more than fast USB 2.0 controllers, it's still nice to see new low end tech coming out at these prices this soon into the development cycle. I was needing a new flash drive for just small portable storage and I think I'll wait just a little bit until I can get my hands on one of these. My two portable hard drives will do just fine in the mean time.

kaonis92 said:

Aprils fools day is still distant so I think I should get excited!

jankovicgood said:

I would like to see a comparision between all available USB 3.0 flash drives.

rizalp said:

I'l make sure to buy flash drive in this year shopping deals..

jazboy said:

This is cool. just $14 for 8 GB..