Microsoft explains Xbox Live Gold price increase

By on November 2, 2010, 4:36 PM
Microsoft revealed plans in August to increase Xbox Live Gold's price from $50 to $60 a year. It goes without saying that many loyal subscribers were disappointed in that announcement, especially because Microsoft wasn't particularly forthcoming about its reasoning. With the price change now in effect, the company has shared its rationale in an interview with Gamasutra. In a nutshell, Microsoft raised Gold pricing to account for the extra services and exclusive content added since the Xbox 360's launch -- not to mention the substantial growth in users.

"In 2002 it was strictly multiplayer gaming. Now we get those Call of Duty map packs before anybody else does. We've got Gears and Halo, of course, as exclusives. We continue to get exclusives on the service as well. And we've gone from 400,000 members in our first year to 25 million," said Xbox Live marketing senior director Craig Davison. Davison said that Microsoft plans to continue adding services to Xbox Live, but that doesn't come cheap. "We also want to continue to innovate on all dimensions, whether it's social, entertainment, or gaming," he noted.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Surely more users should result in a price CUT?

hattrk10 said:

I don't understand why anyone would pay $60 a year to use services that are free on the PS3...not to mention a decent blu-ray player. That seriously was a large reason why I went with a PS3 over a 360 when I was ready to purchase a console.

ColdFusion1990 ColdFusion1990 said:

Well, (at least at $50), Xbox Live is a way better service than PS3's free service. And you don't normally buy a gaming console for a blu-ray player.. you buy it to game.. but I guess that's just me

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I see this and laugh at the people who say PC gaming is more expensive.

KG363 KG363 said:

TomSEA said:

I see this and laugh at the people who say PC gaming is more expensive.

This. It isn't. If in 2006 you had to buy a PC, it would be cheaper than a console just to buy/build a gaming pc. the extra $10 for games and $50 a year adds up to the $400 console

edison5do said:

PC gaming it is most expensive, remember when they pay 60 for a MemberShip, we pay 100$+ for better parts ( but seriusly with this console to pc porting fever spreading away, there will be no needs for upgrade until new consoles comes out)... but thatÂ's my though.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

You're never going to convince me that console gaming is cheaper than PC gaming. You can build an above average gaming rig that will last 4-5 years for $500. With a PC you don't have to buy all the funky controllers, fake guitars/drums/dance mats, you don't have to pay an extra $10-$15 for the games, you don't have to pay the "service fees" like this article talks about, you get insane game discounts on Steam, D2D and other digital distributors that you never get on console games (not to mention all the player built content you don't get on consoles), you don't have to replace your XBox every time the red circle of death shows up (I have a buddy who is on his FOURTH XBox because of that)...it goes on and on.

You put everything into consideration, and console gaming is without a doubt more expensive.

EDO219 said:

If X-Box Live was free, then I would have purchased an X-Box 360 elite instead of a PS3.

Having a sizable annual fee to play your games online is as though you never truly own the games you paid $50 for each. It's like paying a disproportionately high property tax. Like the Internet, playing your games online should be free after paying hundreds for the necessary hardware and software.

JudaZ said:

TomSEA said:

you are joking right?

$500 for an average gaming rig that will last 4-5 years ????

moke like $1500 - $2000 for an above average gaming rig that last for maybe 1 -2 years.

and you still cant play the high end games on full quaility

IkarugaShiver said:

Dude, I just want to play online. I honestly don't give a @#$% about the other services Microsoft offers. I use the 360 to game, not to do random shit. That's what my PC is for.

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

There are far too many variables to declare flat out that console or PC gaming is cheaper. You have to create a set of criteria that is relevant to the potential buyer (computer competency is part of it as well!) but I guarantee you that there will be cases where a PC makes more sense than a console, and vice versa. It's entirely situational, and a product of chance.

With that said, I wish there could be a core Live package, that included access to just multiplayer gaming and marketplace. If people want extras, let them choose to buy them. I recognize that this may not be feasible for Microsoft to do, but it is an option I would appreciate.

arod916 said:

Crappy as a price rise is it will not keep many from still using it. The need to teabag 12 year olds at Call of Duty is too much fun.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Assuming you already have an old case, keyboard, mouse and monitor:

GTX460 - $170

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition - $160

GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H - $85

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB - $75

There ya go - a gaming PC that will last you 4 years for $500 bucks and run any game out today at the highest settings or close to it. Not to mention upgradeable at any point. Something you can't do with a console.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

It should be "because we can & we're greedy", that is the ONLY reason. In the interview they point out ESPN as a great addition which it would be if everyone could access it. Unfortunately you have to pay for ESPN3 via your ISP or Cable Internet bundle and that is if you're lucky enough to have a service provider that carries it. Gold is starting to look more like cable TV with no a la carte and everyone paying for everything no matter the use.

@edison5do/JudaZ Matt is right, there are to many variables. However PC gaming is cheaper in the long run for many, it's more versatile & has more to offer. It's just that the initial investment seems so daunting to many and gives the illusion that PC gaming is so expensive.

Cueto_99 said:

JudaZ said:

You are joking right?

$500 for an average gaming rig that will last 4-5 years ????

and you still cant play the high end games on full quaility

$1500 - $2000 ?? you're definately a newby in Techspot, I can say that because if your gonna spend 1500 bucks on a PC, then you have never taken a look at TECHSPOT PC BUYING GUIDE... Go have a look and then we can keep argueing...

princeton princeton said:

Cueto_99 said:

JudaZ said:

You are joking right?

$500 for an average gaming rig that will last 4-5 years ????

and you still cant play the high end games on full quaility

Speaking of noobies your at 99 posts. Congrats on reaching the 100 milestone(next post)

Mushroom said:

Console is cheaper to start, while PC is more expensive initially, but over time PC ends up being cheaper.

TechFox said:

i dont mind paying the extra money because i love the live service and halo will never get old. although the should have given greater warning. making sure the customer knows of upcomig changes is key. but in order to say some money just buy a couple 13 month cards right now. its the year+1 cards. and then theres no need to worry about the price increase at all.

AnonymousSurfer AnonymousSurfer said:

Just wait until the make the price $100 a year... Then I'll have the last laugh when they said that the PS3 is ****...

princeton princeton said:

AnonymousSurfer said:

No you wont... The PS3 online is and always has been less reliable and has less features than Live. Go ahead and try and justify your purchase. Plus most games looks better and have better framerates on the 360.

MrAnderson said:

I don't mind the price hike if I used all the services... I can care less about ESPN online... or paying for it for that matter. They need to introduce a teired service or they are falling into the same pit hole as the Cable companies and benefiting on not having to pay for out internet service which costs most of us anywhere from 45 to100 bucks USD. I hate to have to pay for stuff I'm not using and subsidising other XBox live users. I only pay so that should I really want to play online... it is there for me... and just maybe the Netflix thing which I now don't have to pay for with PSN. But that is really it. I rather just get a set top box that doesn't charge me after I pay for the hardware. Hello Boxee or Google TV... or Atom/ARM based mini HTPC!

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

I nearly roffled so hard seeing that 2000 or even 1500 for a pc. I'm in Australia and I helped a mate build a new system running an i5 760 and a GTX460 for less than 1200 USD everything included like monitor. Plus parts in Australia are more expensive too comparatively. I can only imagine how much cheaper you can get this build in the states.

Did I mention it came with a cooler master cm690 II advanced chassis and 4gb of 1600 rip jaws...? I rest my case.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

I think I'll jump in here on both issues, the original intention for this thread and then the pc vs. console.

I don't see why the 50-60 usd is a huge issue. Isnt this for an entire year? I remember playing rainbow 6 on my xbox with live back in o4'. I think the price was 4 bucks a month?

Now.

The argument for pc vs console could have been easily put in favor of the pc years ago(3-4) when the console was 500-700 usd with a few extra goodies to go along with it but as of late with the prices of consoles dropping I still only see one large advantage over pc. No matter what size lcd/led monitor you use there are no sudden decrease in fps. You can go ahead and argue "but my pc version of fallout looks better than your console version of fallout," but with that said you're still talking about playing on a monitor with "average" enthusiast resolutions(23" or small in size," and we still have other problems that can happen with the pc. Try playing fallout with a 460 on a large lcd and what the power point flash show begin with highest settings. Oh god, crysis, not even gonna go there.

I could also argue the other side but I don't solely use my pc for just gaming so that's kind of a drawn out conclusion.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

This is pure M$ greed here, with so many consoles failing every second and these fools actually go out and buy 3,4,5,6th console, are you kidding me, talk about mindless. 360 gaming has become nothing buy mindless gaming. If you played COD1 on pc you can see the pace of gameplay, look at COD BO, its like everybody on 360 has ADD and cant wait a second to get a kill, its pretty sad. With that being said, no one can argue against that gaming on PC is better, it is, regardless of cost. Regarding cost, it depends on how much you know about tech, if you know nothing then you'll pay $2000 for a gaming pc and it will last 2 years bc you got a virus downloading 25kb limewire "songs," or if you know a lot about PCs you'll build a gaming rig less than 1k that still out-beats console and for $1500 build a monster.

gLitCh32 said:

What I really like to do is pay for exclusive content that I will never look at. I bought my xbox to play games and watch a couple movies through Netflix, and I already pay for Netflix!

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

JudaZ said:

you are joking right?

$500 for an average gaming rig that will last 4-5 years ????

and you still cant play the high end games on full quaility

The amount of ignorance in this comment makes me want to puke.

treeski treeski said:

If I ever bought a console, it would just be for group play with my friends...

I can't imagine ever paying extra just for online play

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Consoles are great for many things, but nothing beats a keyboard and mouse for FPS games. I can't stand using a controller for those kinds of games, and probably main reason I don't own any of the latest gen consoles.

And as far as action games are concerned, the major releases are launched across all systems now and PCs, and with a Xbox controller I get exactly the same game play experience as someone on a Xbox 360. but with better graphics and sound =)

Brockxz said:

and then again they forget to mention that most of the countries doesn't get any of those services they have implemented recently. For example, where I live, we don't get ESPN, Netflix etc. So what do I get extra, MS? Mostly Live offers for me exactly the same features i got back in 2007 when i first bought my x360. Absolutely nothing new is available in my country.

StrctClubBouncr said:

Nah. I've had my $1200 rig for a few years now and I still get 25 fps on the highest settings in crysis. You don't have to be top-of-the-line, you have to be above average. Also, if you want better graphics than an xbox 360, you can build a $400 computer that can do that job. Oh yeah, also, it's a computer and not just a console.

PanicX PanicX, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

slh28 said:

Surely more users should result in a price CUT?

I was thinking the same thing. They went from $20 million annually to $1.25 billion annually and that's not covering hosting costs that Sony provides for free?

And regarding the PC vs Console price debate.

PS3 bundle ~ $400

3 Player

$1660 + $300 (controllers) = $1960 + Games

4 Player

$1660 + $450 (controllers) = $2090 + Games

PC

2 Player

$1000 x 2 = $2000 + (Games x 2)

3 Player

$1000 x 3 = $3000 + (Games x 3)

4 Player

$1000 x 4 = $4000 + (Games x 4)

You can argue that for 1 person, PC gaming is cheaper, but it could be much more expensive depending on PC configuration. Just see the PC buying guide here at Techspot to see the range that PC gaming could cost.

But I think it goes without saying that if you game with friends or family, you can save a significant amount of funds on the console side.

nickblame said:

25 million users and the price goes up, hmmm. So they are actually saying that hey we can't handle so many users. lets raise price and try to reduce them and if that does not work, well bummer we'll end up with larger turnover.

Superpeter Superpeter said:

supersmashbrada said:

Now.

You can turn down your computer graphics to get better frame rates if necessary. Console graphics are already "dumb down" so the frame rates can be decent on any size screen. Though the bigger the screen, the easier it is to see the shortcomings of the console. I personally use a 28" comp monitor and my living room tv is a 50" plasma. I game on both with a XFX 5850 BE at stock clocks and its fine.I will overclock to use them both at the same time but its not necessary. Another thing a console cant do.. I have a Xbox collecting dust because on my Tv's, it just didn't look as good AND i thought it was ridiculous to have to pay ANY amount for their service for the year when i already pay for internet and bought their products.Sheesh, I change banks when they start charging me money to bank there!! No Joke!!I use my xbox controller on my PC now for racing games and some action games and also when my friends REALLY want me to join then online for some halo they will give me a month membership card they have lying around but that's it. I think Xbox live is robbery. If you really want all that other stuff then use your PC. So its becomes more a question of upgrading because most people already have a PC in their home or life, its just not up to power gaming.

hassaan said:

Doesn't increase in user base means lower (per unit) costs and economies of scale?

Brodieeee said:

Ahhh this is silly! I wouldn't mind if I played it for a few hours everyday but I just about get in a few hours every week!

<3 PC gaming.

Tgard said:

PanicX said:

And regarding the PC vs Console price debate.

PS3 bundle ~ $400

Xbox bundle ~ $400

Wii bundle ~ $300

Sorry dude but your argument is flawed - I don't believe most people would have but one of those consoles and that lowers the price considerably. Also you need to upgrade you harddrive from time to time and other major and minor parts, and that adds cost. You also added an HDTV for the Console gaming and didn't add a monitor for your PC prices unless you are counting that in the $850 machine.

I paid $99 for the Arcade version of Xbox 360 (Jasper = no rrod), last black friday at Wallymart and then I bought a new 120 GB harddrive off of Ebay for $65, and 1 extra controller at Gamestop for $18. Total Cost for what was equal to a 120GB Elite Xbox 360 last year was @ $185.

I use Live to play some Cod games and others and I have the cost of those games but NEVER buy them until 3 or 4 months later at least and never pay more than $30-40 for the Games at Gamestop and Amazon. (Paid $14.99 for Cod4 and $39 for MW). So far I had and have Live for 25 month commitment at total cost of $80 or $3.20 a month and it's well worth it.

My total investment minus the cost for games which I would also have to buy for the PC albeit at cheaper prices is slightly less than the cost I paid for my VIDEO CARD in my PC and that's counting the total cost for 25 months of Live.

Don't get me wrong as I prefer PC gaming and usually build or upgrade my system every 2 years.

PC cost is ASTRONOMICAL compared to what I pay for Xbox with all included. I also use my controllers from my Xbox with my PC and vice versa. I have been a PC gamer basically since 1992 and on online MMoRPG since 1997 or so.

I paid over $1050 for my computer in 2005 and got a nice (at that time) LCD monitor that I still use. I then upgraded my system in 2007 for about $500 for just the interior MB/Proc./Ram/Video/Sound and used my existing case/monitor/periphs, and then also had to replace my sound system a couple months later, which seems to go out about every 2.5 to 3 years and that's another $100-$150 each time. (Alternately I have had my stereo for my DVD/TV/Game system for more than 5 years and it's still kicking). In 2009 I paid $1200 for my current game system and used my old monitor, keyboard, mouse, surround sound setup, DVD writer etc. Later added another harddrive for @$100. DVD writer went out and that was $32 at NewEgg to replace. Seems like there is always a small thing for the PC that needs to be replaced or upgraded. I use a nice mouse and have bought at least 3 the last 5 years - not a budget mouse - ching ching ching.

I will say again that I prefer the PC for gaming especially the control with the mouse and keyboard, but in spite of the cheap prices you guys are quoting here for PCs, I and my family and children are living this scenario and there absolutely is no comparison to the cost of PC gaming versus Console gaming. PC gaming cost is astronomical compared to the cost of my Xbox setup as I already had a LCD HDTV that I also use as a second monitor for my PC. That is counting the cost of Live which just went up to $5 a month if you don't get a deal for it.

No contest. In a price for fun ratio Xbox wins hands down for just gaming and is used as much in my house as a PC is. My PC is used for a lot of things besides gaming too - lots more things and it is well worth the investment(s) over the years and well worth the cost.

I build systems and also am tech support for my whole family. Everyone whose systems I maintain (and I have a huge family with 70+ just nieces and nephews counting the greats) spend more on their PCs than on ANY gaming console, counting the difference in prices for games. I realize this is a PC tech board and I love it, but you guys are totally un-realistic about actual cost, and there is really no comparison. PCs are danged expensive if you actually use them for more than playing flash games on facebook (you Farmville people know who you are).

Some of you may do it on a budget, but just to build a PC budget system or buy a budget system that has to be upgraded with a Video Card and possibly a better power supply cost's more than any of the consoles. I have been living it for more than 20 years and have had most of the game systems and still do. You guys haven't considered all the costs involved or are just PC fanboys (of which I are also) if you think PC cost is ANY cheaper than console cost. There....is.....no.....contest!

Wolfe

DjKraid DjKraid said:

I see this and laugh at the people who say PC gaming is more expensive.

I'm there laughing with you!

First you have to pay 60? for a game and then you also have to pay a fortune to get to play online and then if you want some DLC then you once again have to pay a fortune for "Microsoft Points"...what's the point in that?

If you have a PC you have to pay 5-60? for a game and that's it! And btw, the pc has better graphics!

Tgard said:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I don't think you can actually factor in the cost of a big screen in console gaming as I would bet most families already have one if they are going to have one, and you could also use your existing TV setup again and again, but you do have to factor in the cost of a monitor for a PC, at least initially.

Can't imagine any gamer worth their salt that can actually play games with a decent framerate on a PC that cost's $500 to build counting a monitor. You can build an acceptable PC for $500 (love the guides here) if you have some existing parts and/or if you don't have to buy a monitor and extras and/or if you enjoy your games on a smallish monitor and if you enjoy your games with reduced framerates or eye candy turned down. Don't even get me started on what it cost for the second PC in my home or the laptop, or the cost of multiple online accounts or peripherals, or ram or video card upgrades from time to time etc.

4 of us can sit around and play the Xbox at the same time and have much fun and for much cheaper too.

That being said, if I had to choose between you taking my console or you taking my PC from me, then you can have the console hands down. Leave my PC alone. Just don't try to convince me in this real world that PC gaming is less expensive than console gaming because they are not even in the same stratosphere...in the real actual use world.

DjKraid DjKraid said:

#Tgard - I see your point of view and yes you are right, MP is much fun

If the budget is $500 then with that money you would get a ~good computer (mine for example), a monitor (BenQ 21.5" LED) and mouse and keyboard. Then again if you would buy 2nd hand parts it would be much cheaper and almost as good depending on what you buy ofc...

So if you pay as much for a (complete) computer package as you pay for a xbox and then start to compare prices of the games and what it costs to play online then the pc is cheaper (but not easier). And one other thing too that's good with the pc, you can do so much more with it than you can do with a xbox! -if you study and you need o computer for that then why don't not just buy a slightly better computer that you can do everything with stead of first buying a computer and then a xbox, that would just be stupid!

JudaZ said:

princeton said:

Cueto_99 said:

JudaZ said:

You are joking right?

$500 for an average gaming rig that will last 4-5 years ????

and you still cant play the high end games on full quaility

noobie _*lol* i tinkered with computers probably before you where born ..

but its quite possibly so that your pices in america is better then where i live .. but you can get a half decent office computer for $500 here in Sweden

Only the graphics card would cost $350 - 450

Omnislip said:

Yeah! More features! Like... um... HD DVD player! WHOO!!! Oh and of course the graphics are worlds better. It's like, 7 steps up in resolution! I really wish I could spend 50 quid a year for that. And lovefilm is coming to the PS3 (obv UK only though) but I really wish I could spend all that extra money. And have it RROD on me. That would be soo much better.

JudaZ said:

TomSEA said:

Assuming you already have an old case, keyboard, mouse and monitor:

GTX460 - $170

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition - $160

GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H - $85

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB - $75

so you dont need a harddrive then? No PSU to drive your new shiny hardware .. no cooling? old case quite often cant drive new hardware with their included PSU

Omnislip said:

Forgot to add that anyone saying xbox has better graphics just has to look at GoW3, KZ2/3 and Uncharted 2.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

On the contrary, the bigger the screen the easier it is to see the shortcomings of the pc is probably what you mean.

I said that. Its exactly what I meant. With "dumb down," being said its also true that after this is done it's pretty equal to a console's fps, maybe more in some spots if you like to stay still and take screen shots and probably just as much while moving.

No one here can put together a compelling enough of an argument to prove that a 500 dollar usd machine you build can still give you more than a constant fps above 30 on a 1080p lcd monitor/tv. If you can please show me the os you're using that didnt cost 20% of your budget price.

I honestly think it could be argued both ways, but I decided to go console for a reason of personal interest. I've built a lot of pcs for people, but this off topic in this thread is a huge reason why I stop building budget "gaming," machines. I just don't think they exist. Well they do, until people get the machine home and decide to upgrade the only thing they're not afraid to touch, " the monitor." Every pc gamer loves "the eye candy," So there's always experimentation with that. Now remember I'm debating at a 500 usd price point or 500ish I should say.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

I'll also add that there's no way you're going to get a 500 usd pc to last in gaming for 5 years and be "happy," about it. My dad's com 64 still works but no one will touch it to check email. Hmm guess why. You think so? I have a pc that's exactly 4 years old right now. One of the first quad cores. Top end asus boards the worx. Its depressing to think about, well kind of not really. You want to stand behind a 4-5 year old 500 dollar pc and be a martyr for the sake of pc then go ahead, if not go look up "the general," in our pci section here. He became a martyr of a 5 year old pc.

DjKraid DjKraid said:

#JudaZ - Varifrån tar du dina delar om allt är så dyrt..? -kanske det skulle löna sig att beställa från finland?

I payed 355? for my rig but then again I reused a old PSU, CD drive and case...and then again if you want a cheap ~decent computer you can get a case and cd drive for free if you just ask around a bit...anyway I can play for ex. Mafia II and Fallout New Vegas @ 1920x1080 and have all the settings at high and still have 38-56fps and for me that's good enough...(even if I'm soon going to buy more ram and a slightly better gpu)

gobbybobby said:

My PC was £400 (£500 with OS vista,) Got it 2 years ago, it can still play latest releases with max settings and games are £20-30 cheaper. DLC for games like Left for dead are free. unlike on Xbox. I own all consoles as well.

kaonis92 said:

What I see is that console gaming has gotten more expensive than pc gaming no to mention that a gaming pc will do everything (that someone can do on a computer!) while consoles are restricted to gaming.

flocka said:

hattrk10 said:

im with you on this, but as much as love the PS3 over 360, you cant deny the ease of use with xbox live when it comes to getting a few buddies in a party, and joinig ta game together. party chat, send voice/text messages; its just simply better and more user freindly than PS3's free Playstation Network