Rumor: Intel Light Peak coming in first half of 2011

By on November 5, 2010, 3:47 PM
Intel Light Peak, a high-speed connection standard capable of transferring data at 10 gigabits per second, may be arriving sooner than expected. Light Peak is "now on track to appear in products in the first half of 2011—and likely earlier in the year than later," according to an industry source quoted by CNET.

The 10Gbps speed, which is twice the speed of USB 3.0, is simultaneous in both directions. It also has the potential to scale to 100Gbps in the next 10 years. In other words, this isn't vaporware; Intel has demonstrated the technology twice before.

If past reports are true, Apple could be among the first to incorporate the technology. It's long been whispered that it was actually Apple that conceived the idea for Light Peak, and the company reportedly helped Intel guide the development of the standard. Interestingly, Apple recently used Intel as an excuse for not supporting USB 3.0 (SuperSpeed). We speculated that Intel was delaying support for SuperSpeed on purpose, due to Light Peak.

cardriverx said:

Im tellin you, Intel is pulling a pro power move. Delay USB 3.0 mass adoption so that they can get light peak to market before. I think this has a big chance of succeding, unlike firewire.

USB3 has yet to really catch on (in terms of the number of products designed for usb3), and being intel, lightpeak will be on every mobo/laptop/HTPC/whatever once they release it, something only intel could do.

I would love to replace all my SATA/monitor/whatever wires with just lightpeak wires. It would be nice.

Neojt said:

That is awsome news

Hope we get many intefaces compatiblity. I see lots of use at my compagnie as we have alot of big backup to extenal drive that take WAY TOO LONG. This would be a perfect solution to transfer 200+gb quick

superphoenix said:

I'm concerned if it can power a device or not.

cardriverx said:

superP, Intel said they were going to use a copper wire (I assume around the fiber) for power

taea00 said:

I can't wait for Light Peak. I'm actually surprised how many IT people I know that don't know what Light Peak is. It's going to be insane, I'm just afraid the hardware is going to be rediculously priced. I haven't heard whether this was targetted at high end equipment or for the common consumer.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Just in time, before USD 3.0 gets close to mass adoption

Staff
Jesse Jesse said:

I think you mean to say 10 gigabits/second, not gigabytes.

grvalderrama said:

superphoenix said:

I'm concerned if it can power a device or not.

I don't think so, since it uses light pulses and not electrical. So, I believe the light pulse will send the data but the device it self would need to have its own power supply.

prismatics said:

I think you mean to say 10 gigabits/second, not gigabytes.

Not really, it's 10GB per second. The magic of light

TeamworkGuy2 said:

prismatics said:

I think you mean to say 10 gigabits/second, not gigabytes.

Yea, I was just going to say that.

If it were actually 10 gigabytes/s, even with overhead that would leave around 4 gigabytes/s. Man, that would be amazing!!!

grvalderrama said:

Yeah, that probably it's the value (10Gb, which, according to wikipedia, it's about 1.250GB/s) per lane. What would be the point of replacing Pci-Express (for example) by this technology if data would not be transfered in a faster way?

Timonius Timonius said:

Is it possible that another 'format war' is on the brink?

omega00 said:

Hey if the devices utilizing Light Peak are priced at or below USB 3.0 devices, then I would be happy to adopt Light Peak, and I'm pretty sure others would do the same as well. Over the next couple of years starting in 2011, Intel should make a lot of money if they introduce Light Peak to as many users as possible and as quickly as possible, before USB 3.0 takes an even greater hold. This will definitely require competitive pricing on the part of light peak device manufacturers.

tonylukac said:

So it doesn't provide power over the connection, so it can't charge devices or power them. Epic fail.

---agissi--- ---agissi---, TechSpot Paladin, said:

cardriverx said:

Something tells me they're probably smart enough to do this.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

*Yawn*... 10gb/s? What's the point? Why don't they release it at something decent like 20, 30, 50?

Speed of light my ass.

Summary... it's not that fast (only double USB 3.0 and USB 3.0 has been on boards for how long??), it can't power devices and it is a proprietry Intel standard. Is there incentive for hardware manufacturers to support this platform?

Oh and of course USB3.0 has the advantage that it is backwards compatible with USB2 and earlier so it already has a tonne of devices that it can support.

Also for those who say the speed for external storage is amazing, USB3 covers that fine as well. 4.8gb/s is more than a rotating disk will be pushing out for a little while to come. I just don't see the relevance unless Intel is giving a) some decent bandwidth on what is already available and b) some devices that can make use of this.

sMILEY4ever said:

Darth Shiv said:

Speed of light my ass.

This.

But hey, it's a step forward.

7410xas said:

i wonder what mcafee has to do with this...

cardriverx said:

Darth, they said they should be able to hit 100 gb/s in the future with lightpeak

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

well fiber doe shave tons of potential and up to 100Gb's which would be amazing but yes Intel says there will be a copper wire around fiber so that it can handle power. IMO there is still a use for USB 3.0 since it would allow for all previous usb device to work on it and would still be considerably faster than usb 2.0 i think there is room for both in the industry and intel should realize that. either way we are getting some amazing advancements in 2011 i for one love that the bios is being updated after 20 years and lightpeak and amd and intel's new cpu architectures wow can anyone else say 2011 will be amazing.

mikeusru said:

Two questions:

Is there currently anything that won't bottleneck the speeds of USB3 or LightPeak? SSDs aren't that fast... I guess you can use it as HDMI or something? Is there any real world application difference between the formats right now?

Also, I don't get the whole "intel didn't adopt USB3" thing. What does that mean, exactly? Intel manufactures CPUs, not motherboards.... there are plenty of USB3 add-on cards. Or is it because Intel manufactures the various chips that go into motherboards, and those have to read USB3?

MrAnderson said:

I doubt Apple "conceived the idea for Light Peak"; however, I would believe that it convenced Intel to not go USB 3.0 if they both knew they could get LightPeak going not too longer after USB 3.0 is out the door. Also considering (I think I read some where) that LightPeak could transport USB 3.0 over its infrastructure...

kazarm said:

I donÂ't mind to get new interfaces, but they shouldnÂ't try to suppress USB 3.

They can only delay USB3 anyway. I think LightPeak is more a threat to SATA, because in a few years the new SSD drives will be too fast for SATA.

Does anyone know if a cheap fiber optic cable exist, that can endure a lot of bending. As far as i know the present glass fibers will break if they are bended too many times or too much.

Razerblade said:

This is going to be so good. I'm not sure if there will be anyway to use this on old hardware, maybe you will be able to get a expansion card but I doubt it. Could cost alot for this but sounds great!

VitaminC said:

Darth Shiv said:

I always loved this argument.

Part of what makes the tech so great is that it supports your old tech!!!11!

let's face it, If it doesn't make you want to re-buy everything you already own, then the world doesn't need it.

fpsgamerJR62 said:

The 10 Gbps speed combined with the size of a typical USB stick would make a great combo for personal data storage. However, I personally think that Light Peak devices will likely need a separate power source rather than being than being bus-powered devices like the typical USB 2.0/3.0 sticks. Unless, of course, Intel will be revising the specs of Light Peak ports to provide more power.

UT66 said:

so we might see mass adoption in 2042?

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I hope it performs the way they're saying it will. This, along with the change over to the new type of BIOS, is gonna be awesome.

white2010 said:

I think will be awesome

may be will be made usb 3.0 absolute? when will be launch

dlen said:

This is great news. New SSD devices are so fast that they need new device to connect it. This interface enables SSD to be connected as hot-plug devices and make it more mobile.

AbsolutGaloot said:

I definitely couldn't afford to replace every one of my usb 2.0 devices. lightpeak is neat but is not a viable replacement for usb for the average consumer.

POFC's BendSafe fiber has been used by Intel's Lightpeak platform in 2009

ruzveh said:

I liked the way techspot has put it "Rumor: Intel Light Peak coming in first half of 2011" Rumors rumors is all we hear all the time. Intel is just delaying it further. I dont see this technology as competition to USB frankly. Somewhere i read usb touching speed of over 16gbps or something if i m not wrong. Ofcourse not in production yet

xcelofjkl said:

backwards compatibility i believe is the best technology. which is why usb 2.0/3.0 might have the upperhand when it comes to mass adoption. but who knows, light peak might just be that technology which dislodges usb out of it's comfortable spot in every modern motherboard/laptop.