Dell selling Streak unlocked with Android 2.2

By on November 23, 2010, 5:29 PM
Dell has announced that its Streak device is now available in two new colors. More importantly, the device is being sold unlocked and contract-free directly from Dell.com.

Dell's 5-inch smartphone/tablet can now be purchased in "Pure White," "Cherry Red," in addition to the black model that has been available since this summer. The three devices will be available exclusively through Best Buy in the US.

Unfortunately, these two new color options will both be sold running Android 1.6. You would think that Dell could include the latest Android version, but apparently the company prefers to push out an update instead. Manufacturing delays are something to avoid if a company wants to increase availability in time for the holiday season.

For those who don't want to be tied down to AT&T, the good news is that Dell is also now offering an unlocked (without carrier subsidies or contracts) Streak for $579 that will ship with Android 2.2 (codenamed Froyo). With Android 2.2, you'll get mobile hotspot capabilities, Adobe Flash, and multitouch. Right now the unlocked version comes only in black, but will presumably come in red and white in the coming weeks and can be ordered now. Even better, current Streak owners aren't being forgotten: the Froyo update is also currently rolling out in Europe, while the US will get the update some time in December.

princeton princeton said:

Oh my god, I want it. But $579? That better be a 32gb device.

Leeky Leeky said:

I really wanted this, but no way was I going to go with O2 network just to have it... Now its sim free and unlocked I might seriously consider selling my HTC and iPhone for this now.

princeton princeton said:

Leeky said:

I'll buy your iphone for 2 dollars and whatever in in my back pocket.

Leeky Leeky said:

I'll buy your iphone for 2 dollars and whatever in in my back pocket.

Such a good deal!!

hassaan said:

Is it really a tablet... for me tablets should at least be greater than 7 inchs.... more like a morbidly obese cellphone. FAIL

I did a lot of reaserch on this baby, and really wanted one. But I read a review or two which said the voice quality of the phone wasn't very good, so I dropped into a shop to try one out. The voice quality may be good enough for you, or unimportant - but if you're at all concerned, try one out first. As for me, I couldn't understand how (imho) such a poor implementation of a vital feature could make itself through quality control. If the voice quality had been as good as the iphone (which in itself is not as good imho as the voice quality on my old Nokia by a long shot) I would have got one on the spot.

ChrisH