Lian Li intros $500 Tyr PC-X500FX mid-tower chassis

By on December 10, 2010, 9:30 AM
Lian Li has updated its Tyr PC-X500 premium-grade chassis to include various features that reviewers and fans requested when the product launched back in 2008. Answering criticism, the company has added a side panel window to show off the PC-X500FX's all-black interior paint job. The new version can hold one more expansion card for a total of eight and supports six internal 3.5-inch drives (two more than the original). That space isn't conjured up out of thin air mind you, the PC-X500FX loses its external 3.5-inch bay, but you probably don't use it anyway. Cooling has been upgraded from four 120mm fans split between the front and back to three 140mm and two 120mm fans. USB 3.0 has also been considered in the revision, with all four USB 2.0 ports on the top-mounted front panel upgraded to the latest interface specification.
Although the Tyr PC-X500FX is the size of a mid-tower chassis, Lian Li says it has the features you'd expect from a full-tower solution. For instance, there's enough clearance for graphics cards measuring up to 315mm long and power supplies up to 215mm or 280mm with an expansion rack. Other highlights include a tool-less design for your hard drives, power supply, and expansion cards, side-mounted 5.25-inch bays, liquid cooling holes, fan filters, a fan speed controller, a locking side panel, motherboard thumbscrews and more. The PC-X500FX should ship this month for $499.

wow, nice but expensive case there...

and is that a washable filter protruding on the second pic?

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Ouch....$499?? Can't imagine they'll sell a lot of these when there are a number of highly rated cases (both mid and full-tower size) that are 1/3 - 1/2 of that cost available.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I must agree... way too expensive for nothing new at all in a mid tower.

lchu12 lchu12 said:

Never used an Lian Li...but I think if I was willing to spend that much dough on a case, I would get something like Antec.

Anyone used Lian Li before?

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

That is a tad on the pricey side, the design isn't really that great considering you can get a prettier Antec or cooler master for half the price and same specs?

Staff
Jesse Jesse said:

Lian-li has unmatched quality and manufacturing in my opinion, but I agree. That is way too expensive. I have 3 Lian-li cases, but when I built my new gaming machine this year, I opted for a Silverstone Fortress II. Still quite as expensive, but as someone mentioned, its a fraction of the price of this beast.

Cota Cota said:

lol i can get a i7 CPU PC fully functional tower whit that money.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

And, in a HAF chassis which I love

Lian Li stuff is WAY overpriced. They make nice towers, but for the cost you can just get a regular tower (which is fine) for like 60-100 dollars and spend the extra 400 bux on components.

I'll happily stick with my Xigmatek Midgard-W tower, thank you very much.

I've owned 5 Lian Li cases. Solid built cases. Price was always a major sticking point for most. I kept my eyes open and soon deals would be forthcoming and I'd buy one. The most expensive one I've owned is the last one, the all red, AMD gamer case. Great case, but I can tell that Lian Li has started using thinner aluminum to keep costs in line. As much as I love Lian Li, no way would I spend $500 for a case. One other opinion: If it comes down to Lian Li versus Antec, go Lian Li for the win.

fpsgamerJR62 said:

That's way too much money for a case. I could probably justify spending that amount on a high-end X58 motherboard if I wanted to go the Tri-SLI or Quad Crossfire route but definitely not on the case alone. Currently using Gigabyte Sumo tower and an older Thermaltake Xaser III super tower, no problems with either one.

actionjksn said:

lchu12 said:

You don't know what you're talking about. Antec makes a nice case but, it's not even in the same league as Lian Li. It's sort of like comparing a Corvette to a Ferrari. And then saying you would rather spend a hundred grand on a Corvette.

Thermaltake makes one that costs 800 bucks. I looked at one in a Microcenter store, it looked very well built but I thought it was ugly. I like this case better. I would want to find out if it gets good airflow through that front though. My 80 dollar Coolermaster CM 690 is working just fine for me.