Nvidia 3D Vision kit updated, price reduced to $149

By on March 15, 2011, 7:44 PM
Nvidia has released a new version of its 3D Vision kit, which allows you to view video games, movies and photos in 3D with a GeForce graphics card. The updated kit includes all the same components as before (wireless glasses and IR emitter, cables and software), except the glasses now get 50% more battery life from a single charge, which works out to about 60 hours instead of 40. Additionally, Nvidia has reduced the kit's price by $50 to $149, and the price of an extra set of glasses has been lowered to $119.

With those price adjustments and the arrival of 3D-compatible blockbusters like Crysis 2, it seems like a decent time to invest in 3D -- if there is such a thing. In addition to Nvidia's 3D Vision kit, you'll also need a modern GeForce graphics card that won't buckle under the extra strain of pumping 3D visuals as well as a 3D-ready monitor. Figuring upwards of $200 for a GPU and $300 for a display, you're looking at a $650+ affair. For what it's worth, Newegg has various combo deals that'll shave $20+ off the project.

Schadenfreude said:

I can really buy the 3D kit from nvidia but the price of monitors is the deal breaker. There is no initiative from the monitors manufacturers to readuce the price to make it accessible to everyone. Till than i am happy to play games in 2D :)

Nima304 said:

Playing some games in 3D gives me a headache anyway.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Besides you can't expect the same experience from a "small" monitor in 3D, they are still way to expensive.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

kibaruk said:

I beg to differ,

If I sit at my computer desk with my 24inch 1080p screen I can get far more engrossed than if I was sitting on the sofa with my 32inch 1080p screen.

Staff
Steve Steve said:

burty117 said:

kibaruk said:

I beg to differ,

I think the distance is the key factor here. That said I find gaming on a 30" LCD for example far more exciting than a 24" when they are sitting on the same desk. For a similar experience with a TV/sofa setup you probably need a 50"+.

If I were going to play 3D games I would want to do it on at least a 30" screen, sadly that's as big as desktop LCD's come at the moment

MrAnderson said:

Until all Monitors and TV are 3D enabled or there is a super sale I can wait. I'd rather get a 3DS =P

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

Nvidia's been trying this 3D stuff off and on for over a decade. Unfortunately, it's just as much of a gimmick now as it was 10 years ago. Sadly, it will continue to be for some time.

At least with games the *potential* for a real 3D experience exists though. Unlike with televisions, games actually have detailed geometry data to work with where existing video media does (for all intents and purposes) not.

civilDIS said:

Having a 3x24" monitor setup,I have to add if you want the 3d effect-nothing beats my viewsonic 3d projector(PJD6531w).

Got it on special at xmas($650 us plus $200 postage to australia).Now my surround display collects dust as i use the projector for everything-movies,web but the 3d effect at this size(about 1.5 m screen-home made) is out of this world especially BF:BD2 vietnam.

There is no comparrission and at 720p res for 3d native for a simple and awesome jump in gameplay.Doesnt need my 580 sli rig to power as well(unlike the surround setup).Previously had a 5870 xfire set up and monitors to expensive to upgrade to 3D.

Its not like avatar in the movies but you really get depth with a projector.

Got to say if you have the power and room its by far the best experience for gaming and anyone who boohoos it has simply no idea and never seen just how much better the experience is.

CivilDis

Nvidia need to evolve to passive 3D

Active Shutter is too much of pain

Also required is passive attachment kit for projectors and Tvs.

Its simple :

(1) Projectors : Add another Circ. Polarized lens which changes polarity to 90 deg. at frame rates

(2) TVs : Transparent Circ. polarized LCDs of different sizes (as per TVs in Mkt) to be placed in front of TVs which changes polarity to 90 deg. at frame rates.