TechSpot's Smartphone Buying Guide: Q3 2011

By on July 8, 2011, 5:28 AM

If you are in the market for a smartphone there are plenty of great options to choose from. An overwhelming majority is powered by Google's Android platform, which continues to extend its lead in terms of total users thanks to a growing lineup of devices covering a wide range of features and form factors. But there's also stuff going on elsewhere.

Apple didn't release a new iPhone this past June as it has in previous years, however the company is expected to bring out the guns sometime around September with new hardware and the next version of iOS -- which is enough reason to be excited about. Meanwhile, Microsoft is slowly getting more Windows Phone 7 devices in the market, and with the arrival of Mango this fall and Nokia on board as its shiny new partner things are about to get much more interesting.

Meanwhile, things have been pretty stale on the BlackBerry and webOS camps. The former has been losing market share quarter after quarter, and it doesn't seem like a QNX-based handset will be out soon to push things forward. HP has been focusing on the recent TouchPad launch, but the company is expected to launch a third-gen Pre smartphone soon.

Read the complete guide.

MilwaukeeMike said:

Good overview. I'm surprised Sprint's EVO 4G isn't mentioned though. The Shift isn't less expensive (as stated in the Shift's notes) they're both $100 with contract, and if you have sprint, don't want to pay for 3D, don't care about a slide out keyboard you're left with the EVO (or Samsung Epic, which far fewer people choose), which is a great phone. I have one so I'm baised... now if only Sprint would get on that 4G bandwagon in my city....

matrix86 matrix86 said:

I've always been curious why the same smartphone has different names on different carriers. I mean, the phone is the same phone no matter which carrier has it, so why rename it? Just seems pointless to me.

You write about 5 phones that are not out yet, and failed to mention the Blackberry Bold 9900 which has been officially advertised.

jobeard jobeard, TS Ambassador, said:

Not really the same at all (in the case of iPhone 4) for Verizon vs ATT;

AT&T is GSM and Verizon is CDMA.

GSM can run apps in parallel & CDMA can not (as yet at least).

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

On the absence of the BB Bold 9900. I hear you, while at the same time I have to say it's disappointing that RIM has been shipping rehashes of essentially the same phone over the last year with a somewhat nicer OS but still with a lacking browser and sluggish performance.

princeton princeton said:

Julio said:

I'm disappointed because RIM is holding up the Kitchener area economy. They need to get back in the god damn game!

anadarco7 said:

Little confused tho why hasn't the SE-Ray being mentioned here.