Microsoft shows four unannounced Mango-powered phones

By on July 13, 2011, 10:00 AM

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer had plenty of good news to share with the company's partners during his keynote speech at the annual Worldwide Partner Conference (WPC) yesterday, such as Windows 7 selling 400 million licenses in under two years, or Office 2010 selling more than 100 million licenses in the same amount of time. When it came to Windows Phone 7, though, he admitted that sales have "gone from very small to very small."

That isn't stopping the company from drumming up interest in its upcoming "Mango" update, though. In fact, Microsoft did a little more than that and actually gave a quick preview at a handful of unreleased and unnamed Mango-powered devices from Acer, ZTE, Fujitsu, and Samsung. Sadly, the company stopped short of sharing any specifications, but Samsung's unit sure garnered a bit of interest for its obvious resemblance to the Galaxy S II.

Steve Guggenheimer, corporate vice president of the OEM division, specifically described it as "the new Samsung that's coming," noting that it's very thin and light. Microsoft later clarified that these phones are not production devices and may not be indicative of their upcoming handsets -- though we'd be surprised if a Mango-powered S II is not in the cards.

Guggenheimer also said that future Microsoft handsets will feature "thin and light" designs with "phenomenal screens" and "great battery life". You can watch the video of the keynote here; the phones appear around the 2:19:40 mark.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

When I read "Mango-powered" I got the mental image of the phone being powered by a potato battery like thing but made from mango's :P.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If they sell Galaxy SII with WP on it, I'll buy it without any hesitation

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Archean said:

If they sell Galaxy SII with WP on it, I'll buy it without any hesitation

I was thinking the exact same thing

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I forgot to add one thing, i.e. hopefully it will be as solid a product as Omnia line has always been, unlike the awful experience I have with SGS.

hassaan said:

I'm waiting for 2 cellphones... HTC Eternity and Samsung GS2 Mango.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

torturedchaos said:

I always think of Mongo from Blazing Saddles.

mario mario, Ex-TS Developer, said:

Great sense of humor from Ballmer in the keynote: "Now Mango, to most people in the room, is a fruit. I like it better than apple, personally." /src: [link]

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

Archean said:

If they sell Galaxy SII with WP on it, I'll buy it without any hesitation

Yep, an upgrade to my Focus is in order.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Archean said:

If they sell Galaxy SII with WP on it, I'll buy it without any hesitation

Although not a bad thing, Windows Phone 7 performance across multiple devices is roughly the same. The OS is optimized to be fast and efficient, unlike Android, where better hardware equals better performance.

So in essence, getting any of these Mango-powered phones should only be to get actual hardware improvements, such as better camera, or screen. But as far as OS performance goes, nothing will really change. All WP7 phones use hardware acceleration, and all are powered with 1 GHz processors or more, and all are equipped with HD cameras; that consistency among devices is just excellent, however, you getting a Mango Galaxy S II only means you're getting a new phone, not precisely a <i>better</i> one.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Sorry for double posting, but this very relevant.

If you want to get Mango on your phone, then go here: [link]

I did it on my LG Quantum. Works flawlessly, and the update is amazing.

yRaz yRaz said:

lawfer said:

Sorry for double posting, but this very relevant.

If you want to get Mango on your phone, then go here: [link]

I did it on my LG Quantum. Works flawlessly, and the update is amazing.

The quantum is an amazing phone, it's what I got and I LOVE the thing. However, don't think I'm going to try the beta, I'll wait for mango unless there is some feature that I simply MUST have.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

yRaz said:

lawfer said:

Sorry for double posting, but this very relevant.

If you want to get Mango on your phone, then go here: [link]

I did it on my LG Quantum. Works flawlessly, and the update is amazing.

Believe me, it's worth it. The only thing, though, is that you might lose all text messages but other than that, it's like a totally different phone. There are no bugs; the thing is so stable i don't know why they haven't released it already.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Some of the attributes Android lacks along with proper hardware acceleration.