GameStop exec: Battlefield 3 won't appear on Steam

By on July 18, 2011, 11:00 AM

Last week EA posted (then pulled) a list of the digital retailers expected to carry the game and essentially confirmed what many already suspected: Steam is not making the cut. Battlefield 3 was listed for EA's own Origin service, as well as Direct2Drive and GamersGate, but things are not looking good for the EA-Steam relationship. Now a GameStop executive has chimed in saying that Battlefield 3 will be sold as a download through GameStop's Impulse, but not Steam.

There has been some speculation about a possible break-up between EA and Valve, after Crysis 2 was pulled from the Steam platform and appeared on EA's new storefront sporting a misleading "only on Origin" tag. Although many of us saw this as a power play to draw people into using their service, EA was quick to clarify that in fact the decision was not theirs, but rather the result of a business requirement from Valve to make DLC packs available through Steam.

EA's David DeMartini, who now heads the Origin platform, sought to explain the publisher's position in a blog post earlier this month where he basically says that EA wants to take direct responsibility for providing patches, updates, additional content and other services to players and this conflicts with Steam's rules.

DeMartini added that they are working diligently to find a mutually agreeable solution but unless they can come to some sort of arrangement before October Steam users will have to buy Battlefield 3 elsewhere. It's a risky business decision given the huge loyal customer base of Valve's platform. Then again, EA knows such an anticipated game will give it some leverage when it comes to negotiating terms with Steam and shift the balance of power a little in its favor.

ramonsterns said:

Which means EA was planning to release more DLC bullshit with BF3.

Good riddance, I say. At least now I'm sure I won't buy it.

TitoBXNY TitoBXNY said:

I get all my games from Steam, poor decision by EA. Steam is just so far ahead of the competition.

"Steam users will have to buy Battlefield 3 elsewhere"

Um yeah more like not buy at all.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Steam should give EA the middle finger and put BFBC2 and all other shooters for sale for 99 cents on October 24th. Sure, it will cost them money, but it would cut into BF3 sales for sure.

For the unitiated (I don't game).

What does Steam do that makes it so unique versus getting games through another method?

Essentially Steam allows for up-to-date game patches, has the lowest prices in the industry during its sales seasons, and works seamlessly on the PC. As a result, we have accumulated large libraries of games on Steam and don't really want to have to login into 3-4 other platforms to play our games. This makes it more convenient to purchase all your games on Steam. If BF3 isn't available, it's not the end of the world, but it would have been nice to have it on Steam.

nice :D finally a nosteam game worth bying :D and a multiplayer game without steam :D ME LIKE ALOT!!!

@Guest: You are welcome and encouraged to compare the two services (you don't need our opinions to see who offers the better service). EA's ORIGIN offer's some very good XYZ, but Steam has been around so long that it offers some amazing A-Z. This whole issue is simply a matter of EA attempting to gain traction in it's own market (publishing). However, due to the fact that EA was reluctant to enter the digital distribution market in the first place they are behind the 8-ball and Steam was able to establish itself as the undisputed (and for the longest time: unchallenged) leader.

The basic rule in marketing is that the FIRST one to capture a unique position will typically remain the leader (barring some careless defensive marketing decisions). Odds are EA will never overtake Steam because Valve is VERY good at marketing, and EA's move to create ORIGIN may simply be a means to end. Perhaps a buyout from another competitor; perhaps a "different" service or direction; either way, it cannot compete with Steam directly. That much is clear, and it is a shame that they appear to trying to do this....

You read it here first.... ;)

NeoFryBoy said:

Steam offers a consolidated platform and adds a community aspect to every game. (ie. find and play with friends who are currently playing the same game.) Other than that... not much.

I suspect everyone who is not buying BF3 will just be playing TF2.

lipe123 said:

Good luck finding a new release that wont have DLC. Unfortunately every game studio in the universe by now knows they can milk a old product 3 or 4 times with DLC without doing any extra work and thats just the way it will be now.

Also steam does have its fair share of issues and I think its perfectly fine for EA to want to retain control of their product and use their own updater and legit checkers rather than having to re-invent the wheel with steams methods.

jetkami said:

Most gamers have a huge friend network via steam. My clan, GLD for BF2BC is on thru steam. Its easy to view what other games your friends are playing and find out if the game is worth the money. Steam has become a great gamer community and I have alot of money invested in steam games. I do not want to add another company like Origin. I would have to have both the steam client and origin clients up to view what games my friends are playing, want to buy or have just purchased. Thats a huge waste of computer resources. Its like running yahoo, hotmail, google voice and skype on one computer at the same time. REDUNDANT and waste of resources. Oh and BTW Im not paying $60 for BF3. that is crazy.

Raswan Raswan said:

gwailo247 said:

Liking this idea.

1977TA said:

Well, this is $hitty news...how lame EA!

Xile said:

"EA wants to take direct responsibility for providing patches, updates, additional content and other services to players "

I'm still at a loss on this, I mean ALL publishes using steam still directly provide, patches/updates additional content [DLC?] etc via steam it's just delievered via Steam, what am I missing I wonder?

All I can think of is they would prefer / asked to offer these services outside of the Steam program, if this is the case I can see the issue but it's not been put across that way at all

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

xile said:

EA doesn't want to pay Steam a cut of it's sales, and wants to keep 100% of the money itself. Oh, and they want to bombard you with ads for their games. Everything else is just BS to make themselves sound less greedy.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I'll pass. I don't need or want to add a new client to play games. And as gwailo247 pointed out, this is nothing more than a money-grab by EA anyway.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

xile said:

Truth is, people want Steam because they have their game library with them, and community all in one. Not to mention, it is extremely easy to find, play and chat with Steam members. It is more of a social network for gamers, than a simple download manager. Games are all patched, updated, authenticated, and through Steamworks they include Steam Cloud protection, achievements, etc. A lot of PC gamers are so used to this, that the very thought of getting a game from another source, is like blasphemy to them.

I personally don't care. BF3 is going to be an excellent game, and I'll get it anyway (most of you will, too). I mostly use Amazon, as it frequently offers even bigger discounts than the very Steam. Of course, Steam user don't notice this because they stick to Steam, and most of the time don't even look elsewhere.

At end of the day though, this sucks for Steam users, and I agree this is a selfish, money-grabbing move.

If i buy the battlefield 3 box from the shop do i have to install Origin?

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If i buy the battlefield 3 box from the shop do i have to install Origin?

No. Whether you get the physical or digital copy, you won't have to get Origin.

Thanks for the quick reply, i reckon inniatially steam wont have it for the hype rush, but then later once the buze dies down, they will give it to steam.

In general , the DLC is free for PC, I experienced that on BFBC2, and they gave it to us with Patch update.

r8bwp said:

signing into all these different accounts is becoming a right pain in the *rse. Steam in my opinion has always been for pc gamers. I only buy online now and that is from steam so i guess they 've lost my custom

Its so pathetic how people would rather not play one of the most anticipated games of 2011 just because they don't want another client running, you people cant exit steam if it bothers you that much, your life isn't dependent on it....

@guest "I was hoping to buy it but if it's not on steam i'll just pirate it, I couldn't give 2 shits if it's not on steam."

police are looking for you

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

A hurricane starts with a single drop of rain.

EA always have been, and always will continue to be assholes. When EA games are only available on Origin, for $80, then perhaps you will see where we're coming from.

But hey, who are we to talk. You want to rush out there to pre-order a game, for $60+, buggy as hell on release, and with half the content stripped to be sold to you later as a DLC, go for it bro. I'm sure you'll get a nice TF2 hat out of it...oh wait...damn.

Do you have to use origin? because if not, then I could just add it into the steam library as a non steam game.

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

I really don't see what the difference is between BF3 and any other shoot-em-up war game so I don't really care if EA offers this on Steam. I do see Mass Effect 3 going the same route though. Between this and the stupid "buy a code to play online" crap, I think I am done buying EA products until they hit bargain bin pricing.

unf0rgiving said:

I really think EA did both good and bad, and for good reasons on both. They took off Crysis 2 so that people can download the DX 11 and Hi-res texture patches for free. If it was implemented in steam, people might have to pay for the DLC, which are the patches. On other people's thoughts, it's for EA's way to attract attention. Yes I understand that, yes it wasn't a very good way to attract attention, no I won't mind if they make titles Origin exclusive. Just tell your friends to sign up for origin and you should be fine.

EA nor DIce care if Steam and or its users buy the game. It will still sell just fine and many of the users who claim they won't buy the game, well just as many said they wouldn't buy CoD:BO, well we all know how that went.

EA has a right to make, sell and distribute their own content and Valve don't allow that. It's not like EA say no you can't have the game. Steam isn't that great of a service and is no better than Origin, Steam is just popular. I've used both for years. They r just services for me to buy a game and play it. Some may use Steam for other things but I don't.

You can have both, no reason you can't. If people don't want EA then don't but don't go cryin about how EA is about money and what not. All businesses is about money. EA's way of things isn't new and most people have known that for years.

edison5do said:

raswan said:

gwailo247 said:

Liking this idea.

Mee Too.. I will Keep sticking my self to my BC2

darkzelda said:

I live in south america and the only way to get a non-pirated game is through a digital store like Steam. I love Steam but I really wanted to play BF3 so I went to the other digital stores to pre-order the game and in all of them is not available in my region (What the hell?). Then I went to the Origin store and they charge the prices in euros (euro is way too expensive in my country), so BF3 costs 50 ? which is way more than I would actually paid in Steam. Despite of that I was going to pre-order the game paying way more than I should in the Origin store but for no reason they didn't accept my credit card which is actually a joke since I've been buying games on Steam with this same card since long time ago. So I can't buy the game coz' pc games never hit stores around here and I can't buy it digital and I actually upgraded my pc to play this game. So EA don't blame pc gamers if the game gets pirated here in South America just because you want to win the war over Steam which is the best digital store for me.

yRaz yRaz said:

It seems pretty unanimous that people want to use steam to manage all there games. It is the largest digital distributor of games for a reason. The consumer votes with their wallets, weather they know it or not. People voted for steam and EA wants to change that. EA certainly isn't making any friends right now with origin and a lot of people are getting mad. I don't know if Valve is a business with morals, but our best interest right now is their best interest. BF3 sales will take a large hit because of this. I will not invest in Origin after I have bought 40+ games on steam. People are taking this seriously because people have a reason to take it seriously.

It seems that Valve is trying to do the right thing. EA wants to make everything proprietary so they can charge and do what they want to the games. Valve, IMO, is saying, "No, EA, you shouldn't do things this way and we wont let our users get sucked into it." I'm sure there are a lot of users disappointed about EA games getting removed from steam, but at the same time Valve is bringing to light what EA is actually trying to do. Valve is making the PC gaming community take a hard look at what EA is doing, I'm sure they are taking a lot of heat right now. It is also making a lot of us choose between what platform to use, who to vote for with our wallets and why. EA seems to be destroying the PC gaming community where as Valve thrives on it.

They are trying to make more money while reducing the quality of service they need to provide to their customers. If you can only buy EA games from EA they can do what ever they want and charge what ever they want. Valve has to provide the same quality of service from many publishers and developers(even letting some small/start up developers sell games) to all users to keep it's license agreements. It does a fantastic job too. I don't like EA's business model, I don't like what they do to developers, I don't like what they are doing to PC gaming, and I don't think they will provide the quality of service that we all expect from steam.

If all it takes to do the right thing is not buy something, that's a small sacrifice to make. I vote for steam, EA will only push users away with this anti-competitive behavior.

pcnthuziast said:

Disdain for EA's buisness practices will hopefully outweigh the PC communities desire to get their hands on BF3. Radical thought... I know, but EA is a Goliath that will take ALOT to put in check(which NEEDS to happen). I'm very curious to see how this all turns out.

Yea I was really looking forward too BF3 .. but their is no way in hell I will buy it now. The facts are steam has been doing this longer then anyone else and well .. they have it done right. Everyone elses online sales is GRRRR at best. And at worst it would be somthing like .. Games for WIndows Live. I have bought MANY games online. From Windows Live, D2D, Impulse, Steam and Others... However I have stopped buying them if the are not on steam .. hell I will pay more for them on steam if anything .. because it works. The Dls are fast, the updates are out ASAP, the in game network and achments are grate ... Face it ... Steam has this on LOCK!

I am 100% sure EA will come around after the game bombs on PC .. well he had so much hype .. but no1 bought it because it was not on steam.

GaryIKILLYOU GaryIKILLYOU said:

Why not just buy the game, install it, then put it in the steam library and play it from there? It's really NOT that hard. If you can't do that, then I'm glad you won't be playing. BF is a team game and most ****** are not team players. You guys can have your twitch shooters. I'll be on BF.

1977TA said:

You don't need steam to buy/play your games. That's not really the point. Steam is my iTunes (or whatever you use to sync music,photos,etc...) for games, every time I build a new pc all my games are right there. Even ones I bought 5 - 6 years ago. I don't have any games on dvd anymore, I either through them anyway or lost them. Don't have to worry about that with Steam.

It's all about convenience, service and peace of mind. Go Steam!

yorro said:

I have to buy it somewhere else. Hint: not Origin.

I can't wait to see Activision pull the same crap. Perhaps even Ubisoft?

Let's fragment the market even more with every major publisher having it's own Download 'Service' - yay!

GunsAblazin said:

It's either Steam or nothing when it comes to PC games. No other distributor is worth it. I guess I'll have to buy it for my PS3 even-though it won't look as good.

I will support local future-shop! and buy locally!

BUT that is after I play a trial from a certain bay ... just to see if its all they say it will be.

if its anything like BC2 .. (ie .. can't strafe while running) then i won't spend more then 10 bucks!

Piracy?

And then add to STEAM as a non-STEAM game... lolol

I don't even need to list the reasons why EA is stupid. I don't need to list the reasons why Steam rocks either. This goes without saying. I'm just not gonna buy EA games anymore.

I completely understand why Steam has these rules they keep referring to. I WANT to get all my patches and DLC through Steam. It's as easy as it gets! With Mass Effect 2, I had to fart about creating Bioware or EA account or something and then pay money to get points to pay for the DLC which always left me with unused points in the end. I want it all through Steam! Why does this have to be so difficult?

I only buy games through Steam, no exceptions. I have a massive Steam library, it's easy to login from any computer and play my games. I won't buy from somewhere else.

I'm not buying a game that I can't store in my Steam library. I won't buy it. I'll pirate it and use Tunngle to play online. Suck it EA.

"EA and DICE's Battlefield 3 is perhaps the most anticipated shooter coming out this year and apparently it won't be available on one high-profile digital distribution service. Want to guess which one?"

Netflix?

chaboi390 said:

Omg.. U got to be kiddin me.

I've waited this game 4ever to be released and now it dumps this crap on us.

*sigh*

Looks like i have to buy retail.....

Leeky Leeky said:

Agreed. They've lost my purchase now, I'm not bogging my PC down with another game client when the one I use now is perfectly suited to the task.

Superpeter Superpeter said:

Sooo I may be wrong but the problem seems to be "If *Product X* doesn't come to the store I buy tons of stuff from, I wont purchase it from ANY OTHER STORE!!" Really??? How foolish and childish. I really thought computer users were more mature

Leeky Leeky said:

Its because its totally related to greed as to why EA will not allow the game on Steam. Pure money profiteering, nothing less. Steam is home to thousands of games, including many other EA titles - clearly they didn't have an issue with the way Steam does things with their 51 other currently available titles. So why should this one be an issue??

Its got nothing to do with maturity, its about not supporting policies you don't agree with. Plenty of other games are out there from publishers not totally out to take the piss.