AMD hints at September 19 release date for FX-Series CPUs

By on July 25, 2011, 8:00 AM

AMD released a graphic novel titled "The Legend of FX" last week in a rather strange effort to build some hype for the brand's revival later this year. The Legend of FX takes some jabs at Intel while touting AMD's superior graphics and improved performance, but it's the recently posted cinematic trailer promoting the novel itself that brings a juicy tidbit: hidden at 0:15 is the date "September 19" which some have taken as a hint for when FX will see the light of day.

WCCFTech claims to have confirmed a September launch date with Taiwanese motherboard manufacturers and says four processors will make the initial FX lineup -- the FX-8150, FX-8100, FX-6100 and FX-4100.

The range-topping FX-8150 packs eight cores clocked at 3.6 GHz (or up to 4.2GHz in Turbo mode) and has a TDP of 125W, while the FX-8100 drops frequencies to 2.8-3.7GHz and the power rating to 95W. The six-core FX-6100 and quad-core FX-4100 will also have a TDP of 95W and feature base/Turbo clocks of 3.3/3.9 GHz and 3.6/3.8 GHz, respectively.

The chips are all based on GlobalFoundries' 32nm process technology, come in an AM3+ package, and have a built-in dual-channel DDR3-1866 memory controller. They also feature 1MB of L2 cache per core, 8MB of shared L3 cache, and unlocked multipliers. A previous leak covered here mentioned four additional FX chips and a possible delay into Q4 of 2011, so until we get an official announcement from AMD we won't know for sure.

Kralnor said:

I couldn't help but laugh at the trailer. Man, what has become of marketing?

Amazing, I want one, I mean, wow.

venomblade said:

this seems a bit sad..

Mizzou Mizzou said:

I couldn't help but laugh at the trailer. Man, what has become of marketing?

No kidding, plus Ruby used to look a lot hotter than that.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm pretty sure these are CPU's and not APU's.

the **** wast that?

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I'm thinking Academy award for animated short.

1977TA said:

Can't wait for some benchmarks!!! Yes!

Staff
Jos Jos said:

ET3D said:

I'm pretty sure these are CPU's and not APU's.

You are right, fixed.

I dig the video. I think it is a bit cheesy but great -- one has to know the history of FX to appreciate it. Besides, this is anime, guys. If AMD wants a cool "toy story" type of animation, it would have been done that way.

I think it's totally cool to change up and relax a little bit once in a while.

zillion said:

I think it's totally cool to change up and relax a little bit once in a while.

Lol u think! im quite sure the only ones "appreciating" the FX series for the story would be .....and wait for it......Amd fanbois.....

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

I fear not even mid range flash "animators" can peak my interest in AMDs offerings for the most part.Even as coooool as flash animations with uninspired designs are...

r8bwp said:

oh dear you can see why amd cant find a ceo.

darkzelda said:

Waiting for these to CPU's to make an upgrade to my gaming rig. I'm sure that the price/performance of these ones would be awesome!!!

yRaz yRaz said:

zillion said:

Remember the FX-60? It put every Intel part to shame in it's day.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Ruby's looking different.

Oh well, at least we have a date now .

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Ruby's looking different.

Oh well, at least we have a date now .

Sorry to break it to you guy....but, um...Ruby isn't real......Where you you planning on taking her (ooh err!)

The preceding message was brought to you by the Association for Abolishing Ambiguity (AAA)

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

The Legend of FX takes some jabs at Intel while touting AMD's superior graphics...

Well duh AMD, you did buy the number two graphics card maker, remember? How is you original business with the x86 CPU's doing btw? I hate seeing these jabs over who does better graphics, when it's really expected from AMD to do on-die graphics better than Intel. Yay for doing what was expected of you? Should be a relief after all these years of waiting for Fusion. The main reason you bought ATi right? 6 years ago...

DokkRokken said:

I thought this was a pretty darn terrible advertisement. I'd rather a simple, layman explanation of the Bulldozer architecture, as opposed to weird Japanimation. But I guess I'm a colossal nerd like that.

hahahanoobs said:

When did Intel ever say it was competing with AMD on graphics?

I'd assume by merging ever more powerful integrated GPU cores into their processors is Intel's way of competing with similar AMD offerings.

AMD is good at 'saying,' but Intel is definitely better at the whole 'doing' thing.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

sorry i edited my post, because to me it came out sounding like i was attacking the writer of the article, when i wasn't... so i fixed it then i added a bunch of stuff that bugs me when i see the two compared in articles etc.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

First, what Dok said:

Secondly, your fanboyery anger is really obvious

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

dividebyzero said:

Ruby's looking different.

Oh well, at least we have a date now .

Oh my...it seems to be raining on my parade now.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Oh my...it seems to be raining on my parade now.

Indeed, remember the good ole days when Ruby was all kick ***....and all woman?!

[link] .

Zen Zen, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I for one am purposely holding out on building myself a monster of a system, until the release of these new AMD FX processors. I've never built myself an Intel based system, never have and never will. My first system ever built used that brains of an AMD Duron processor, next there was one or two AMD Athlon processors, next will be the FX!

Also when my box comes alive, it wont be being controlled by a Linux based O.S., getting tired of Ubuntu telling me what I can and can not do. What ever Windows O.S. is the rave at the time of my build will get my business, Windows 7, Windows 8, who knows!

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Probably a little too overt and threatening for AMD's perceived fan-base it would seem.

[link] ...which is about the same amount of time AMD spent getting the concept together.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

dividebyzero said:

...to the point i was wondering if it was a fake, cuz...Damn! But after seeing some previous AMD campaign efforts, I am not surprised.

zillion said:

yRaz said:

zillion said:

Remember the FX-60? It put every Intel part to shame in it's day.

So because of the FX-60 and the "story/blodline" of the FX series u would appreciate the new Fx more even, and i dont claim it to, would suck?

Im just saying that story means nothing when it is a shallow one, it is and will always only be a cpu, nothing more or anything less.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

AMD seem quite proud of their effort...it's pasted all over their site...so, I'd sincerely doubt that it's a fake (I think a fake would be more plausible and have a higher degree of creative content...IMO)

"Crush opponents with responsive game play and awesome mega-tasking performance from the AMD FX 8-Core Processor Black Edition."

-Product Info box (lower right hand side of page linked above).

Hopefully BD turns up soon....I've been waiting too long to do some mega-tasking, and I'm eager to see how the CPU will help me crush game opponents.

HiDDeNMisT HiDDeNMisT said:

I agree with david. I also doubt its a fake and besides who would want 8 cores running at 4.2 GHz.

Who knows maybe AMD might overthrow Intel.

Mikymjr Mikymjr said:

Doesn't it seem like they're portraying 8, FX processors (the other 8 besides the girl in red), and the girl in red is like the Graphics processor =P. I think i'm to excited

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I wonder what exactly is entailed in a 'mega-task'...as opposed to an extra large task.....or an extra medium task for that matter.

yorro said:

AMD pumped too much money on RND

Most of the readers on this site have always been on the lamer side of perceptions. It isn't Anime, as so labeled by the weak attempt at humor on AMD's part in the mock up comi(x). It's more US artistry than anything else. Actual Anime would have had a much better concept and design work, hell even Marvell and DC would have had a better presentation. It's flash based animation because it is a short comic.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

It isn't Anime,

...only a matter of time before the Pokemon fatwa gets announced huh? Remember to send out a suicide bomber to every heathen who dares take anime/manga in jest (make sure they get their after-school snacks first- nothing worse than a scratchy, explosives laden kid)

It's more US artistry than anything else.

In much the same way that Denny's is US gastronomy ?

It's flash based animation because it is a short comic.

It's flash based animation because it's cheap.

Moreover, it's an insult to the intelligence of anyone who might possibly be in BD's buying demographic. It's not clever, it's not original, and worst of all, it shows little more than AMD's insecurity by focusing on a larger and more successful market competitor rather than highlighting their own product.

the Stav said:

I'm currently running an X6 1090T in combination with a Gigabyte 890GPA which is AM3.

Smooth as, no complaints.

As the 8 core FX-8150 is going to be relatively cheap when released in October?

(according to some insider from Turkey) I'll probably buy one but .......

Question: Will I need an AM3+ motherboard or will the CPU be backwards compatible.

On a bit of a tangent. I use (2) 32 Gb I-Ram SSD's in raid 0 to boot the system and run a

few apps with an old 300Gb Raptor for storage.

I was checking out a Facebook video on the new OCZ Revodrive X2. The guy ran some tests

and it's sequential read speed was 650Mb/s and 120,000 IOPS.

Boot time from' power on' to password prompt was 40 secs. My SSD's (sata 2) do the same thing in 42 secs and I wouldn't know how they rate in terms of IOPS.

I read in another review that the Revodrive X2 could read at 1500Mb/s, which really did blow my

hair back.

Sounds like fladulation and is probably without foundation, but I like symmetry i.e. 64 bit

operating system, 8 or 16 Gb RAM, 32 or 64 Gb boot drive and hopefully the 8 core CPU.

that was brilliant