Weekend Open Forum: Your favorite music and streaming sources

By on July 29, 2011, 8:46 PM

Music is among the most primitive forms of entertainment and self-expression, with the oldest confirmed musical instrument -- a bone flute -- dating back at least 35,000 years, and it's believed the human voice, hand clapping and other bodily-derived noises were used to produce rhythmic melodies long before then. Fast forward to the present day and we have instant access to millions of songs spanning thousands of genres and sub-genres containing everything from blue dudes wailing on PVC pipes to CGI pop stars (for better or for worse).

With the advent of smartphones and streaming services like Spotify and YouTube it's never been easier to drown out a boring conference with your preferred tunes. With that, we want to ask: what's your favorite music and how do you access it? Feel free to share your favorite genres, artists and songs (links must be legal). I can't say I have a particularly favorite genre, though I tend to favor music without vocals -- anything from classical to electronic. That said, I've probably listened to Pink Floyd's "Animals" album more than anything else in my collection.

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

I'm a huge fan of Bullet for my Valentine and Metallica. I'll usually use Pandora if I'm at work and I am not frequently checking my computer. If I am doing work, I'll use Grooveshark because it has fantastic features like creating full playlists and it does a similar radio feature like Pandora but it sucks compared to Pandora.

bchen88c said:

I am fairly open in music, so I don't have a specific favorite genre as well. Most of this openness is particularly boosted by the fact that I got a spotify invite by Enrique Iglesias earlier this week, so I'm practically listening to new music all the time now. It's pretty awesome

mario mario, Ex-TS Developer, said:

I love all kinds of music from rock to salsa. Although I do love alternative rock and electronic music. Last year I discovered a band called The XX and I totally recommend their whole album.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

I enjoy everything but country and western and I still buy CDs.

Route44 Route44, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

I am very eclectic but I do not enjoy Country & Western and especially do not like RAP, Hip Hop, etc.

tuneIn Radio App for my ipod, local FM radio :)

Chazz said:

I use zune and youtube. Zune while I'm on my phone and youtube while at the comp.

veLa veLa said:

I like pretty much all rock.

Hate pretty much all black music (c)rap or hip hop for example.

I attend a lot of raves and LOVE electronic music. Whether it's Progressive House, Electro House, Dubstep, Drum and Bass, Progressive Trance, anything EDM I pretty much love.

Superpeter Superpeter said:

Pandora or buy cd's usually now from amazon. I read reviews, ';pandora' the song or artist, then buy cd's of what i like. Haven't heard a radio commercial in a long time and probably wont unless im riding with other people. This system keeps me more than busy and I'm a club and bar DJ. I read crowds and spin all types. Whatever fits, no music if off limits to me if it gets people feeling good.

TrekExpert TrekExpert said:

I mainly enjoy listening to rock, death metal and classical music. Some of my favorite bands include Pink Floyd, Avenged Sevenfold, and As I Lay Dying. I normally stream music from the radio section of itunes.

I like rock and metal mostly and I use Subsonic to stream my own music over the internet to wherever I am. http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp

R3DP3NGUIN R3DP3NGUIN said:

Amon Amarth, Opeth, Dream theater. is what I most frequently listen to.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I use Pandora, Google's Music Beta (Very nice), and my ipod touch to stream music all over my house and shop.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Gosh, why is everybody so averse to country music? After all, Eagles, Jachson Browne, The Byrds, Poco, Flying Burrito Brothers, and many more are actually country acts, rocked up a tad. The Eagles are especially committed to Americana in their early work. Remember "Desperado". Chris Hillman from the Byrds went on to form, "The Desert Rose Band", a very country extension of the Byrds 12 string sound. Just add pedal steel.

Anyway, I like female vocalists also, such as Mary-Chapin Carperter, Sugaland's Jennifer Nettles, Carrie Underwood, some girls you've probably never heard of, but most of all, Loreena McKennitt, a Canadian "world music" type af act. (A Celtic and middle eastern mix). Pure vocal glory, she is, and without the annoyance and pretense of "Celtic Woman".

Oh, I'm supposed to say how I get it, right? In my own provincial way, by buying the CDs. Sometimes if I don't want the album I'll buy MP3s from Amazon.

I keep meaning to convert some of my elderly LPs to CD. Bought the Shure phono cartridge, bought a phono preamp, have the Turntable, just haven't gotten around to it. Oh well, maybe someday.

Speaking of phono preamps, boy was I floored when I bought a new AV Receiver last year and discovered it didn't have a phono input. Time marches on, I suppose....

I myself like Power Metal and Symphonic Metal, with bands like Dragonforce, Stratovarius, HammerFall.. and Nightwish, Leaves' Eyes, Within Temptation. And sometimes (I say this because during Summer my mood changes a bit) Alternative Rock such as Sum41's and Red Hot Chili peppers.

At first I used to buy their CD's but later, after YouTube's boom, I listened through it.

But recently I discovered Last.fm and that one I currently use to access my music. Of course, not forgetting my "physical" collection.

I noticed someone said they don't like "black" music like rap. Okay, not liking rap is a completely valid opinion. Although, I hate to burst your bubble but music does not have a color or race. There is no such thing as "black people" music or "white people" music. Music is music.

Anyway, I can listen to and like just about any type of music. I grew up listening to rock and hard rock sort of music. I had friends who were into metal, my brother introduced me into rap/hiphop. My sister was into pop music and my parents were into country and with my time on the internet I stumbled upon electronic/techno/dubstep etc. So I got a taste of a wide variety of music. Although with that said, I listen to rap/hiphop most of the time. Although I only listen to about 3-4 artist, because I find most rappers don't have very meaningful songs. I don't disregard the whole genre just because of that though. I love the genre and how it's performed.

For rappers/albums I would recommend:

Chamillionaire - Ultimate Victory

Lupe Fiasco - The Cool

2Pac - Greatest Hits or Me Against the World

Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Well, it's way too long for a complete explanation, but yes, there is "black music", and there is also white music.

The Who, and other hard rock acts, can trace much of their influence to British martial, ceremonial and folk music. You know, the Celts, Angles, Saxons, Picts, Scots, most to all of whom were well, white. Except when they painted themselves blue for battle. (Surely you've seen, "Braveheart" .

Whereas, most of hip hop can trace its roots to a pack of foul mouthed dime bag inner city drug dealers, most of whom are predominately, "African American". Since it's mostly just a non stop spew of violent, sexist, racist, profanity, spoken, (or shouted, as it were), without a discernible melody, it could be argued it's not music at all. So, since white people aren't allowed to use the "N" word, and every other word in rap seems to be just that, I have a very strong case when I say that it's made for blacks by blacks.

So, don't credit yourself with the ability to burst anybody's bubble. You should probably take aim at the bubble you seem to be living in.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

I like a little bit of everything, alternative, latin, and punk rock, salsa, merengue, classical music, certainly electronic and even pop. These days I mostly listen to music that I already have in my iPod or search for songs in YouTube and take it from there. Shazam on the iPhone is also a godsend for picking up song names on the go.

i use grooveshark to listen to music online. i'll listen to anything but rock. rock died in the 80's. all good rock would fit on one CD, so it's nothing to brag about.

acerace acerace said:

electronic music FTW!

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

No, rock died in the 70's. But I assume that being wrong about that, was merely a prelude to everything else you're wrong about.

bugejakurt said:

How about soundtracks. I like the epicness of Two Steps from Hell or Audio Machine.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I usually use Pandora.

If I want to listen to specific stuff I'll load music onto my phone, or onto my lil' Zen Stone if I'm doing something athletic.

sky.fm

i pay for premium cuz of the better quality and no ads

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Frank Sinatra,Metallica, Elvis, Enya, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, Live, Three Days Grace, Jethro Tull, Wild Colonial Bhoys...etc

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Frank Sinatra,Metallica, Elvis, Enya, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, Live, Three Days Grace, Wild Colonial Bhoys...etc
Yeah well, that wasn't question. Where do you get it? Although I have to say the Enya, and perhaps Steely Dan are a bit questionable. That said, I should probably grab a copy of Steely Dan's "Can't buy a Thrill", if only for "Do it again". After that I don't seem to get them. It's probably me.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Opps, I guess I'm provincial as well. CD's and more CD's.

...what the hell is wrong with Enya? :p

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Opps, I guess I'm provincial as well. CD's and more CD's.

...what the hell is wrong with Enya? :p

Probably nothing, it's just that Loreena McKennitt is so very much better. (At least IMHO ) The Steely Dan probably has too much jazz influence for my country leanings. I couldn't access jazz enough to even use it to sell stereo equipment like you're supposed to.

In the case of Ms Mckennitt, believe it or not, (although she's quite a bit self produced), I think her instrumentation, choice of material, and tonal sensibilities are far superior. Again the disclaimer: "The opinions expressed are not necessarily valid". Oh, and I like the sound of her voice better, harmonically it's richer.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I did buy that album of hers you linked me to a couple years ago. I will have to revisit it. most of my music is still in boxes from the move last year.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I rather think you would find it abundantly enjoyable to partake of some sort of herbal remedy, dust off the Altecs, and subject yourself to a heaping helping of, "acute mezzo soprano overdose".

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Well now that is spooky. Right after I was done with the last post, I said to the Mrs..." I need to get the Model 19's setup...now if I could just find the $1000.00 worth of 'oxygen free' monster cable, and gold plated connections I was talked into as a youth why.....

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Yeah right, just buy some f***ing lamp cord.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Yeah right, just buy some f***ing lamp cord.

I think it was about 1989 when I figured out that I was a Hi-Fi rube, and it didn't matter what wire was used. I also fell for DAT as well.:o

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Those were the days alright! I remember vigorously lusting after a Nakamichi 3 head cassette recorder.

DAT was shrill, with a capital "S". Bruce Springsteen's, "The River" was his first digital master. Wow, that thing is harsh, brittle, shrill, and grating. I hope they patched that up in the remaster.

Now the poor man's so burnt out, and trying to do his own production. You should hear his, "Lucky" album. One side is so over saturated and garbled, it sounds like music playing on a loudspeaker thrown into the La Brea tar pits.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

well since you mentioned it...I have the Nakamichi setup. PA-7,ST-7,CA-5, and I don't remember the tape decks moniker. The PA-7 is a monster...now thems some heat-sinks!

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I just must be used to high efficiency speakers and small houses. Seems I could drive my JBL D-130s into the realm of severe pain with a lowly 50 watt a side Kenwood integrated amp. They were specced conservatively though. Meh maybe you could hit 55 watts a channel with it.

Indeed, those were the days, back when you had to "stream" your music, from Tower Records, or Sam Goody at the Mall.

And before I forget, the "Jethro Tull" was a great choice. I can't get enough of "Hunting Girl".

RH00D RH00D said:

captaincranky said:

I'm the guest you quoted. I made an account just to reply back to you. Now, I can see you think negatively of hip-hop and I'm not surprised. If you think it's so negative, perhaps you should find out who people like Lupe Fiasco are. Chamillionaire put out an album, with ZERO profanity from him and no degrading subject matter, how's that line up with your interpretation of rap? Well, it doesn't. Because your interpretation isn't correct. I don't deny that type of rap you described doesn't exist, because it does. I'm just saying your complete and entire assumption about the genre is incorrect.

Oh, here is one for you. Ryan Leslie. He is a rapper and check this out. He graduated from Harvard at 19 and got a perfect score on the SAT. And yes he is African American.

Did you watch that video? Yes, he plays multiple, real, instruments also. If your ignorance is so thick that you can't even come to realize that all is not as it seems, then I likely won't reply back to you. One more thing, you think rap is made for blacks? How about you check out that statistic that shows more white people listen to rap than black. Also, four white rappers off the top of my head, Eminem, Paul Wall, Classified, Yelawolf. Try not to be so ignorant next time.

One last thing, just because a certain type of music originated from a certain ethnic group doesn't restrict it to staying that way. I know black people that are huge rock/metal fans. I also know white people that enjoy rap. So like I said, try not to be so ignorant, it can really help your understanding of things if you have an open mind.

The first rule of piracy is DO NOT TALK ABOUT PIRACY

The second rule of piracy is DO NOT TALK ABOUT PIRACY

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Rock for me: Queen (my favorite), Eagles, Led Zep, Deep Purple, ZZ Top, Free, Dire Straits, Lynard Skynyrd...and all this i own myself, no streaming for me.

Music died on its arse years ago for me...Lady Gaga and maybe (big maybe) Rhianna give it a little life.

g4mer said:

I can listen to anything except metal. There are more kinds of metal than the bands, and i hate every one of them. Especially that emo hardcore bullshit.

Panda218 Panda218 said:

I use primarily use google music and Amazon cloud player. I use amazon to purchase my music (cuz its so damn cheap) I then have it auto download and then upload to google music ^^

I really liked grooveshark, but once it got removed from the android devices I stopped using it. I just took a spin at Turntable.fm lastnight and had a pretty good time using the service.

M1r said:

I like everything good.

mishmosh said:

Happy Hardcore / UK Hardcore type stuff @ happyhardcore.com or KraftyRadio.

Spotify!!!!

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I use Spotify now - can see why it was so popular in Europe. Nice, clean client with a huge library. Pretty much every song I've looked for has been available.

I'm a big music junkie - have over 4,000 CD's and music is the first thing to come on in the morning when I wake up and last thing to go off when I go to bed. I listen to pretty much everything except rap which I don't even consider to be music. About 60% of the time I prefer Gothic/Industrial stuff. For whatever reason, it keeps me motivated. Type O Negative, CombiChrist, Skinny Puppy, VNV Nation, and old school Sisters of Mercy and Front 242.

Leeky Leeky said:

The first rule of piracy is DO NOT TALK ABOUT PIRACY

The second rule of piracy is DO NOT TALK ABOUT PIRACY

But you just broke both your own rules about piracy!

I create techno/electronica/dance/new-age style music. However, I also prefer to buy music on compact disc. I don't really enjoy downloading mp3 files from iTunes. That said, I will soon be using Distrophonix and iTunes to sell some of my tunes. I will also make my music available on CD as soon as I can afford to have my latest album duplicated.

TeamworkGuy2 said:

I don't really listen to music :ooohhhhh: everyone gasps.

I don't have a iPod, I don't even have an mp3 player, I concentrate better without music, or any noise for that matter.

marinkvasina marinkvasina said:

thepiratebay? xD joking

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Everything & Youtube (I don't stream, I "buy" it digitally.