Walmart throwing 2,700 midnight launch parties for Modern Warfare 3

By on November 4, 2011, 11:00 AM

Walmart will be throwing 2,700 Modern Warfare 3 midnight launch parties at various stores across the nation. Launch parties will include multiplayer tournaments, gifts and additional Call of Duty merchandise up for grabs.

Tournaments at stores in all 50 states will allow gamers to play the highly anticipated first-person shooter hours before the official launch. Tournament rules and prizes were not released and it’s likely that each store could have their own set of rules depending on who is organizing the event.

Gamers who buy the title at Walmart’s midnight launch will also receive a commemorative patch similar to those given out at the Call of Duty XP convention in September. Posters and t-shirts signifying the launch date and Call of Duty Elite will also be made available, although it's unclear if these will be handed out on a first come, first serve basis, given away as tournament prizes or sold separately.

Walmart made a point to advertise their Mega XP promotion in the announcement. By purchasing specially marked packages of Doritos and Mountain Dew, gamers can earn codes redeemable for bonus Double XP time in the game. Mega XP promotional products are only available at Walmart.

Walmart’s Modern Warfare 3 midnight event starts at 8pm local time on November 7. Lines are likely to be long so it’s advised to get their early as supplies of the bonus MW3 patch, posters and t-shirts are limited. The company has posted a PDF with a list of all 2,700 participating stores. With so many locations hosting launch parties, odds are there will be at least one near you.

The only question that remains is, will you be attending a launch party?




User Comments: 15

Got something to say? Post a comment
TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Wow...now there's some serious marketing, for ya! I wonder if they're feeling nervous about sales because BF3 was released two weeks prior? They'll make a slew of money regardless.

I won't be attending this. But if they did something similar for Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, I might be interested.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

TomSEA said:

Wow...now there's some serious marketing, for ya! I wonder if they're feeling nervous about sales because BF3 was released two weeks prior? They'll make a slew of money regardless.

I won't be attending this. But if they did something similar for Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, I might be interested.

If they did something similar for Skyrim I'd join ya! I really can't wait for skyrim any longer! But i'll have to wait so I can build my rig haven't even got a computer any more!

yRaz yRaz said:

Great, a walmart party, where will the after party be?

@burty117 I am also looking forward to skyrim, forget CoD. I'm just worried about how the skill tree's will work and the dragon shouts seem kind of dumb. I want to be able to enchant things and make my own spells just like ES 3&4.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Looks like all my local Wal-Marts are on the list heh.

TomSEA said:

Wow...now there's some serious marketing, for ya! I wonder if they're feeling nervous about sales because BF3 was released two weeks prior? They'll make a slew of money regardless.

Doubtful, BF3 was never going to outsell MW3, at least on consoles. This does however seem more like Wal-Mart trying to make an even bigger name for themselves amongst gamers on the retail front taking on GameStop & BestBuy.

ravy said:

LOL i've just read that SKiDROW already cracked the game for PC and people are playing it! DAFAQ

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Relic said:

Looks like all my local Wal-Marts are on the list heh.

TomSEA said:

Wow...now there's some serious marketing, for ya! I wonder if they're feeling nervous about sales because BF3 was released two weeks prior? They'll make a slew of money regardless.

Doubtful, BF3 was never going to outsell MW3, at least on consoles. This does however seem more like Wal-Mart trying to make an even bigger name for themselves amongst gamers on the retail front taking on GameStop & BestBuy.

That is because it was never <i>meant</i> to outsell it. It was simply made to let the market know CoD isn't the only FPS worth looking into. (I know that implies CoD <i>is</i> worth looking into, and it isn't; but that's just subjective...)

BF3's purpose was simply to take market share from CoD. And at 10 million shipped, and 5+ million copies sold (3 million of those from pre-orders only) in its first week, it's hard not to wonder if a few million of those didn't come from the CoD camp. Truthfully, though, it's going to be a long battle, but I believe that the better quality title will win. CoD will progressively dig its own grave... Or, perhaps, it won't, but that's only when (or if) Activision stops being lazy and makes a proper sequel to CoD 4, then maybe, just maybe...

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

lawfer said:

CoD will progressively dig its own grave... Or, perhaps, it won't, but that's only when (or if) Activation stops being lazy and makes a proper sequel to CoD 4, then maybe, just maybe...

Ain't that the truth, One day they may just be able to let go of what Infinity Ward created and just accept they need to start afresh. Although for now, I don't see it happening with the amount of money it brings in.

fpsgamerJR62 said:

Activision isn't going to tinker with a franchise that brings in tons of cash every holiday season. That said, if they're really serious in keeping this franchise going, I would humbly suggest that they go back to the original Call of Duty game and analyze what made it so great.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

fpsgamerJR62 said:

Activision isn't going to tinker with a franchise that brings in tons of cash every holiday season. That said, if they're really serious in keeping this franchise going, I would humbly suggest that they go back to the original Call of Duty game and analyze what made it so great.

But oh yes they will, the moment where the CoD's FPS market share drops below 50%. BF3 was specifically designed to do just that. In the long run, that is.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

BF3's purpose was simply to take market share from CoD. And at 10 million shipped, and 5+ million copies sold (3 million of those from pre-orders only) in its first week, it's hard not to wonder if a few million of those didn't come from the CoD camp. Truthfully, though, it's going to be a long battle, but I believe that the better quality title will win. CoD will progressively dig its own grave... Or, perhaps, it won't, but that's only when (or if) Activision stops being lazy and makes a proper sequel to CoD 4, then maybe, just maybe...

It would have to buck a long standing trend to do that. I bet CODMW3 breaks all records. I have no idea why, but I bet it does.(meaning it doesn't lose sales to BF3)

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

BF3's purpose was simply to take market share from CoD.

End of year figures would probably back up that view......but I think the rest of the supposition is faulty.

And at 10 million shipped, and 5+ million copies sold (3 million of those from pre-orders only) in its first week, it's hard not to wonder if a few million of those didn't come from the CoD camp.

BF3 will undoubtably lower Activisions market share...the only problems being

1.Many buyers of BF3 will also buy CoDMW3, so if there is a finite cash pool available for buying games -and that isn't a given- CoD more than likely sells at previous levels -and there is no proof it won't ,it means that either the yearly spend on PC games rises or it takes sales away from other titles.

2. The CoD has brand recognition in the marketplace- for all the general hue and cry about MW2 and Black Ops, they still sold very well. Activision could basically re-skin MW2 if they so desired and it would still sell very well - if rebooting the same old tired s#!t wasn't successful how do you explain the continued existance of Jason Stathem's career and pro wrestling?

3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

for every one sold at a store, some one downloads the hacked one....

oh the hacked ones will get kicked first and banned first and busted first..

I will wait a few weeks before i buy it....

Guest said:

If you still buy your games retail or physical disc for PC then you need to be taken out back and beaten! Console kiddies and have this crap its just a rehash of MW2. Meh. Back to a real game BF3 on PC.

Guest said:

HAHAHA, Gamestop is doing 4400 :{

Guest said:

What a success before the release date...

This Monday in France, two trucks transporting thousands of copies of the game from the warehouse to several retail stores have been subject of a hold-up.

The estimated amount is about 750.000 euros.

I guess, the danger with video game is that some people do not make the difference with real world ;-)

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.