Apple store employees generate $278 per hour in revenue for the company

By on December 9, 2011, 5:00 PM

New estimates from Asymco’s Horace Dediu indicate that each Apple store employee generates about $278 per hour in revenue for the company. These findings are based off of data that Cupertino publishes about its retail segment and are cataloged at ifoAppleStore.com.

An average Apple store generates over $100,000 per employee per quarter. In 2010, revenue on average was $481,000 per employee. A retailer like JC Penny only generates around $124,000 per employee per year.

Using these metrics and others, Dediu was able to calculate that each visitor to the Apple store generates about $45 in revenue. There are over 250 million visits per year, and already 222 million in the first three quarters of 2011.

Data also shows that there is one employee for every 2,500 visitors per quarter. Assuming that an employee works for 360 hours per quarter, this breaks down to around six visitors per hour or one every 10 minutes.

The statistics are pretty incredible and it seems the sky is the limit for Apple retail stores. The company opened their newest store at Grand Central Terminal in New York City earlier today. In typical fashion, the entire terminal was packed with Apple fans anxious to be part of the experience. The Grand Central Terminal Apple Store is now the fifth Apple store in New York City and will likely become the flagship location.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

And they make $2.78 an hour doing it. Buh, dum, pah..tsss.

This means if you could get an actual 8 hour day of of one of them, they'd write about $2200.00 of sales each day.

Or, about 575,000 dollars a year. Are Apple customer really rich, really stupid, or both?

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Because every single Apple product it overpriced by 800% of what it cost to make it and fools just keeping buying them. $2,300 for a Macbook Pro with the same specs as a $700 PC, i'd make that a day per employee to.

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

xclusiveitalian said:

$2300 MacBook Pro / $700 PC is 3.29 times more expensive, not 8 times.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

$2300 MacBook Pro / $700 PC is 3.29 times more expensive, not 8 times.
I think he was counting forward from the cost of manufacturer. Maybe not 800%, but surely more that 300%.

RH00D RH00D said:

Apple is expensive, but it seems like a lot of that extra profit does get invested back into the company and R&D, and not always straight to the pockets of execs. At least it seemed that way with Steve Jobs around. Because the service Apple provides in some areas in unmatched in the world. Example, you ask? Look at Apple Retail and that new store they just opened.

JeremyP said:

Ah yes, R&D, like filing injunctions against the sale of a competitor's products.

RH00D RH00D said:

jeremyp said:

I forgot filing injunctions didn't exist before Apple did it. My bad.

Ranger12 Ranger12 said:

All that money didn't go straight to the pockets of execs...it went straight to the pockets of their lawyers...

Seriously I hate Apple, never liked it. But once I tried a Zune and couple other mp3 players, and Apple's Ipod is the best BY FAR. Still, did I say I hate Apple ? Did I ?

Who cares? As a consumer I could care less. Over the last year or so Apple seems much more focused on bragging, For me if you have a good product that meets with consumer approval you do not have to brag. Just quietly go about doing what you do and the bottom line says it all.

I don't like Apple's product, due to extreme costs and an arrogant attitude. People though can choose anything they like and if they want to pay extra for something they will. I did a quick compare from microcenter.com of an Apple MacBook Pro 15.4" MC721LL/A Laptop Computer - Silver and an ASUS X53SV-MH71 Laptop Computer - Mocha both are very similar, though I think the ASUS is slightly better.

Price: Apple $1599.99 Asus $799.99 or the price of the Apple.

OK say Apple has the best support ever, I can by two Asus laptops and keep one as a spare (should I want to) for the same price as one Apple.

I guess I just don't understand why people want to spend so much more. I could see if if the Apple was a little more say $900 or $950 then you could make an argument that the extra cost is worth something, but twice as much, I just don't get it.

DanUK DanUK said:

Not that im a fan of apple but those stats are pretty insane..

caravel said:

There will always be overpriced bits of shiny mass produced tat and there will always be superficial and gullible ******, with no eye for detail or practical ability who will shell out 100s if not 1000s over their real value for these gadgets if only for bragging rights and keeping up with the Jones'. Nothing new here. They're simply making a killing off the back of ignorance and greed, and the isheep are willingly flocking to the slaughter.