Microsoft will offer digital Windows 8 Pro upgrades for $39.99

By on July 2, 2012, 3:12 PM

Microsoft will make it affordable to ditch your current Windows installation for the latest version. If your system is running Windows XP, Vista or 7, you'll be able to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for only $39.99 and if desired, you'll be able to add Windows Media Center for free via the "add features" option after the operating system installs.

Besides being cheap, the upgrade sounds straightforward enough for most users to perform without assistance. After downloading the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant, you'll be guided from purchase to installation, informing you about application or device incompatibilities, Windows 8's features, what you'll be able to keep and so on.

For reference, it was $120 or $220 to upgrade a Windows Vista machine to Windows 7 Home Premium or Ultimate (excluding promotions such as academic discounts and family packs).

It's worth noting that, although you can download an ISO via the Upgrade Assistant and create your own bootable DVD or USB drive, Microsoft will sell you a backup DVD for $15 plus shipping. Likewise, physical retail copies of the Windows 8 Pro upgrade media will cost $69.99. These prices will be available in 131 markets through January 31, 2013, and it's unclear how much they'll increase afterward.

As a reminder, folks who purchase a Windows 7 computer after June 2 will be able to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for only $14.99. Upgrading from Windows 7 will be seamless, allowing you to keep your files, applications and operating system settings. Windows Vista will only be able to keep files, while XP users will be able keep files and applications, if a rumor from last week pans out.

ikesmasher said:

Maybe if MS paid me $40.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Competitive pricing there, comparable to an Apple OSX upgrade. Wonder if the price will stay that low after a few months.

Edit: Found this at the bottom of the article:

If you prefer to shop at a local store, a packaged DVD version of the upgrade to Windows 8 Pro will be available for $69.99 during this promotion.

This upgrade promotion for Windows 8 Pro both online and at retail runs through January 31st, 2013.

They aren't matching Apples pricing permanently at all here. Really they are trying to get people to buy it as soon as possible where some might wait for the first service pack, but by then the promotion will be over. Thought Microsoft were seeing the value of getting their Windows Store on as many PCs as possible but this is an offer, not the standard price.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Great and necessary move. Microsoft is feeling the heat of the competition even on the desktop side of things, so they have had to adjust. This should also prove a good way to have more of the Windows user base move to W8 faster and thus adopt Metro in one way or another.

Blkfx1 Blkfx1 said:

40$ to upgrade..I guess I will try out Win 8 after all.

ikesmasher said:

If they make an optimized version of metro for the desktop user, I will buy, but not unless they do.

Looking at Microsoft's site for this deal in the UK (£14.99) there is a major clause:

Key Dates

You must purchase a qualifying Windows 7 PC between 2 June 2012 and 31 January 2013 to be eligible for this offer. The last day to register and order your Windows 8 upgrade is 28 February 2013.

This rules out a lot of people!

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

That's an entirely separate promotion for new Windows 7 PC owners, Guest.

Holyscrap said:

Well if they leave the "hole" that allows you to do a clean install with the upgrade version, then you could say that I have already bought it :P

Download and install and test out Win8 right now. I personally give it a thumbs up.

Seventh Reign Seventh Reign said:

That is $40-$70 that ALOT of people are going to wish they had never spent ...

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

The price isn't that bad but I really need a desktop optermised version as in it's current state I really don't like it, if they can prove it's any good on a desktop though I'll take it back

Ranger12 Ranger12 said:

I do not have a problem with Windows 8. However, I cannot think of a reason to upgrade from Windows 7 even if it is only $40. For me there's nothing that Windows 8 has that 7 doesn't.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

It's fine on a desktop. And there are improvements that you'll really like over Windows. 7. You don't have to use the metro app layout crap if you don't want to. And when you're not using the metro nonsense, it's basically Windows 7 with a few new keyboard shortcuts and the start button is gone.

ikesmasher said:

yea well the start button is a pretty big deal to me.

All they need to do is give us the ability to scale metro down....

MrBungle said:

"Upgrading from Windows 7 will be seamless, allowing you to keep your files, applications and operating system settings."

I wonder if that includes the way I have my start menu setup?

What if you build your own computer, and use an OEM version of Windows 7 Home Premium, and activate it during the time period mentioned? Will this person be able to buy Windows 8 Pro upgrade, and also, could he buy the upgrade that would allow him to periodically do clean reinstalls? (At the reduced price, of course!)

Smart move, however Windows 8 is not worth a dollar to me. At least not for a desktop, I would consider a Window 8 tablet I suppose. Otherwise Windows 7 is much better than Windows 8 for a desktop user.

p51d007 said:

Sorry, I will most likely keep 7. Just got a new XPS laptop about 2 weeks ago, so I guess I will get a discount for the upgrade, but I don't see any "need" for the upgrade.

Might throw it on a virtual drive and play with it, but the daily driver will still be 7.

And this discount is ahead of release because - MS need more sheep to purchase the Win8 OS as it will gain them significant turnover not from the sales of the OS but from the mass of ppl who will be purchasing "apps" through metro that MS take a cut from or sell them self.

People are so blind to the underlying reason'(s) that MS are discounting and promoting Win 8 and Metro, I guess ppl who are used to mobile devices will lap this up as they love buying frivolous "apps".

m4a4 m4a4 said:

What isn't desktop optimized about it?

Coodu Coodu said:

Well said, I know it certainly puts me at a benefit and certainly will save me some cash over the W7 upgrades I paid for myself/wife's machine.

Good move by MS imo.

ikesmasher said:

What isn't desktop optimized about it?

Im a heavy multitasker and Metro simply covers the entire desktop, which is the majority of my multitasking space.

it just screws up the flow of multitasking, and yes I have used it so im not just basing that off of pictures of it.

Xero07 said:

Probably will get for my laptop and keep my desktop on 7. The pricing is impressive to say the least compared to previous versions.

captainawesome captainawesome said:

The next version of UEFI (BIOS) should allow booting from the net. Then no storage media is needed at all to install your OS. You can just connect to Windows Update and a few hours (let's not kid ourselves with the Microsoft 'minutes' you have a fully functional PC with all the updates and drivers already installed. You should even be able to select Office 201* and other stuff from the MS app store. Like Chrome and Firefox and Adobe CS*

That way you can start it when you go sleep and wake up with everything installed

Coodu Coodu said:

I find that I use the start menu the most when I have an app taking up majority of my screen as I tend to avoid minimizing and just open over the top. So metro will be a large change for me usage wise.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It simply doesn't matter. The only reason you look at it negatively is that you dislike Windows 8. Every promotion has a reason, and these promotions are a win-win for the companies and those who want the products.

What's wrong with Windows 7?

This is a good deal. When going from Vista to Win 7, they had a $50 promotion so this is even better.

I'm also trying out Ubuntu 12.04 LTS which is free and I'm finding I like it, further more my family is able to use it without any issues. Depending on how things go with this I may just make Ubuntu my primary system though I have some games that I enjoy on Windows; wish I could run them on Ubuntu.

j05hh j05hh said:

I'll setup a vm on my personal computer with w8 but w7 will still be my main os. I see no reason to upgrade.. or should I say downgrade.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

I find that you are either in the start menu or not. So the fact that it takes up the whole screen didn't bug me (as the second you clicked out of the start menu, it was gone). Now it is more expansive and more customizable...

ig-88 said:

Maybe if MS paid me $40.

Same here. If they agree to pay me for agreeing to be their guinea pig to test out their new tablet OS on my desktop I'll go through the hassle and pain of looking at it. Otherwise, Windows 7 is going to be on my desktop for a very long time. Of course, I probably won't ever see that $40 payment. The world is full of enough guinea pigs who are salivating to get their hands on this polished turd.

abysal abysal said:

If only the start screen didn't disrupt what I was doing and go full screen. It's idiotic to do it that way.

Mantrhax Mantrhax said:

No Thank U !!!

Storage spaces, the more I learn more I like.

wow, windows 8 upgrade advisor works well...

...the windows 8 download is surprisingly fast...

...only to found later that the downloaded windows 8 is still the "pre-release version"...